PDA

View Full Version : light tapping on cold start

newto8g
01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
when I start my 8g there is a light tapping to me sounds like its coming from the top right engine side (by the belts) and it goes away after a couple minutes and sounds perfect. anyone could know the cause of this?....should i be worried

galantlvr34
01-04-2011, 08:48 AM
it sounds like a stuck lifter.mitsubishi engines are known for stuck lifters.you can maybe try changing your oil and see if it helps.sometimes dirty engine oil can cause it too.

Galanttuner10
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
judging by both of your threads, i would say your oil is low. do an oil change or at least add enough oil so its between the 2 marks on the dipstick

the oil light comes on when its too low s you are almost there and the tapping at the start means there isnt enough oil to lubricate that lifter fully until it has run for a while. add oil before serious damage occurs

newto8g
01-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advice will first start with and oil change and pray that work. T

Isaurio
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Bro like I said don't drive the car. You have low oil pressure. There is not enough oil going on top of the head and is not lubricating the lifter and camshaft. The more you drive it without fixing the problem like chaining the oil the faster the engine is going to give out. Noise will get louder if you don't act fast.

newto8g
01-06-2011, 07:05 PM
yea i just changed both the oil and the switch hopefully this helps

Isaurio
01-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Just keep a good eye on it. Hope that helps

01blackG
01-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Im guessing you have 100,000+ miles on the car. Unless you have had the engine rebuilt it is probably a normal tick, but dont hold me to that. I have the same thing on mine and I have 200,000+ miles. I have had the tick since about 120,000 miles. If I got a top end rebuild done on the engine I know it would go away.

The thing is when you first start the car the oil is all in the oil pan and all the internal parts are dry. Then as it runs the oil gets pumped up into the engine. And thats when the tick starts to go away. This is normal for high mile engines. When you need to be concerned is when the tick wont go away at all or if it gets louder and wont go away.