PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have to buy an ac compressor?

fstrthnu
03-19-2003, 12:14 PM
OMG :shock: !!!! Has anyone ever had the pleasure of pricing one of these?!?! Holy crap, mine just went out and a new one from auto zone is like $550!!! Does anyone know if a compressor out of an eclipse will work? B/c I can get one of those off of dsm trader for cheap. If not I think I'm going to have to suffer though the carolina heat...

Kain
03-19-2003, 02:39 PM
As long as the connectors are the same, any compressor can work. Just not always as good as the right one. I can't get CAPS to work for me right now, but you can always go to your local dealership and have them do a cross-reference for you. Also, are you sure it's the compressor that's out? It sucks to replace an expensive part and find out that's not the problem.

fstrthnu
03-19-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the compressor that's bad b/c it was making all kinds of noise before it died...now all it does is blow hot air and make a loud grinding/clicking noise like it's about to blow up. It still engages though...Does that sound like a bad compressor to you?

Kain
03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
I dunno, I was never the "AC guy" I've only done 2 and both times the compressor was completely siezed, no doubt about it. But, it sounds like the compressor all right. All too often a causuaty of high-hp engines.

fstrthnu
03-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Do you know of an online site where I can cross reference parts? If the pulleys off of an eclispe will fit do you think the bolt pattern will be the same? And do you think I'm better off buying a new one or a used one? The cheapest used one I found was like almost 300 with 50000 miles on it.

Man, I swear, if it's not one think with this car it's another...I guess that's the price you pay. :wink:

manybrews
03-19-2003, 06:08 PM
make SURE its the compressor, and not just the clutch bearing.

Incidently, new ones from mitsu are about 700 bucks, i think.

Just go to a junkyard and grab one.

fstrthnu
03-19-2003, 08:38 PM
How can I tell if it's just the bearing? Doesn't the clutch just engage it? It still engages just fine, it's just what happens after it engages :cry: . If I get an used one is there any way I can check it to see how much life is left on it? I'd hate to spend 300 on a lawn ornament :wink: ....

Kain
03-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Turn the compressor by hand, see if it feels like it's dragging.

c.nelson
03-22-2003, 05:13 AM
G'day - I'm from New Zealand and am just new to the forum. My car is probably a little different in spec to all the U.S. Galants out there, but I've just purchased a 1997 VR-G and during test-drive the compressor packed up. Although I can't be sure whether the compressor is the problem in your case, the dealer did replace it before I bought the car and it cost about $900 or so (NZD). The car itself made a whole lot of clunking noises at first, then everytime the A/C was turned on, a compartment under the hood shook loudly and made a whole heap of questionable noises.
Eventually, the A/C failed altogether and it didn't blow any cold air whatsoever. I probably haven't helped you out whatsoever but good luck anyway and I hope it doesn't cost you too much to solve the problem!