PDA

View Full Version : 2000 i4 shifts late...

boom3198
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Ok so it all started earlier this week...car ran fine and me and the wife decide to go to savannah(about 45 mins away) on the way back car started jumping rpms and finally died. got it back to the house and screwed with it for 3 days til i gave up and took it to get the codes read, turned out to be the balance shaft belt broke and snapped the cranshaft pos sensor. so i got a new CPS and belt tore the timingbelt and everything off the side of the engine and put the new stuff on, re timed everything and car runs great...except shifting through every gear it shifts at around 5000 rpms driving normally unless i take my foot off the gas for a sec and it will shift...still a pain in the a$$ though. also if i try the same trick with the rpms around 2500 it wont shift. any ideas would be helpfull so i can try them on the weekend. oh and i reset the ecu ( disconnected the battery for about 30 mins)

Corey2kG
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
You have to drive it on the highway or a constant 3 or 4 miles so the ecu can relearn everything. When I disconnect my battery when I turn on the car it shuts right back off to I have to drive with 2 feet til I get on the highway.

Drive it for about that distance then park n let it idle for a few minutes n see if that helps. N welcome btw

01blackG
01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
You have to drive it on the highway or a constant 3 or 4 miles so the ecu can relearn everything. When I disconnect my battery when I turn on the car it shuts right back off to I have to drive with 2 feet til I get on the highway.

Drive it for about that distance then park n let it idle for a few minutes n see if that helps. N welcome btw

DITTO!!! ECU needs to relearn. Until then the car drives like A**!

boom3198
01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
So I drove the gallant around for about an hour today and she progressively got better and now runs like she's back to her old self.....never had that happen before even when I disconnected everything to install my system and alarm on it... thnx for the help everyone.

silversurfer
01-08-2011, 06:03 PM
the car has to relearn your driving habbits or the computer then the idle will adjust and the shift points will adjust themselves its the same as changing the battery the same thing happens. I dont know dude id question the wife on what she was really doing with the car.lol

01blackG
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
So I drove the gallant around for about an hour today and she progressively got better and now runs like she's back to her old self.....never had that happen before even when I disconnected everything to install my system and alarm on it... thnx for the help everyone.

Sometimes it is hit or miss whether or not the ECU needs to relearn everything when the battery is disconnected.

Glad to hear shes getting back to normal.