PDA

View Full Version : Timming Light and Timming

rfpa1
03-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Ok, I am confused over this, I have not done it myself. I took it to a dealer some time back.

I need to check the timming on my car after a change off the water pump and belts. If the timming is dictated by the sensor on the engine, do I need to move the distributor while using the timming ligh or do I have to replace the sensor first and then see what happens.

Then if there is no timming adjustment, then what is the use of the cable that you have to jump on the engine while adjusting the timming.

I think Im lost on this one.

RFPA1
Black 95 ES -151K miles and going.

JiP
03-20-2003, 01:24 PM
I think you can only adjust timing on the 96 model or 96 and lower models. If you have 97up you can't adjust timing, but you can still check it.

The timing gun has 2 clamps for power that you conect to your batttery pos, ground. Another clamp that you clamp down over the number 1 cyl spark plug. That clamp will read the "fire" signal of the that plug and make the light flash at the same time. Kinda hard to explain this next part but, if you stand on the drivers side of the car and look down at the engine. You see where the power steering fluid bottle is? Look dwon between the engine and the wall that the bottle sits on, where the crank pully is on top you'll notice there is a plate sticking out with little slashes and I think it says TDC on it or something. Thats the plate you aim your light at. The marks represent timing in 5degree intervals *(i think). When you point the light down at the plate you should be able to see the matching mark on the pully and be able to tell where it is on the plates scale to read your timing. I heard its sometimes hard to see the pullys mark because of dirt so people use WhiteOut and paint the mark. Theres a little flap in the drivers wheel well that will let you access the pully easily.

Hope that helps

rfpa1
03-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info.
So I guess that in my case I should be able to adjust the timming. Or maybe I should pay some one else to do it.

I do believe that this is the reason of my low rpm's in idle.

Thanks

manybrews
03-20-2003, 09:11 PM
you must ground the ignition check terminal anytime you wish to check timing on a mitsu.

It can be in various locations, depending on the year and model.
however, if your car is running poorly after a timing belt installation, it has NOTHING to do with your ignition timing. The ONLY way the ignition timing can change is if someone changed it, which is 1)not possible on 97 and newer cars, and 2)not going to be done for any reason when the belt is changed.
If your timing is off, its going to be due to your timing belt being out of time, thus requiring it to be correctly reinstalled.

JiP
03-20-2003, 09:14 PM
What does grounding that terminal do anyway?

And you have to do it on 97+ cars that dont allow you to change timing even to just use a light gun? What does it do ?

manybrews
03-21-2003, 06:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>What does grounding that terminal do anyway?

And you have to do it on 97+ cars that dont allow you to change timing even to just use a light gun? Â*What does it do ?</div>
its sets base timing.. if you dont do it, the ECM has full control of it, and it wont be accurate. in fact, its usually off by about 10 degrees if you dont place it in base timing mode.

and Its mostly there on the newer cars because theres no reason to remove it, but also because it is still a worthwhile diagnostic tool for mechanics.

rfpa1
06-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Hi:

After checking my timming and getting the rpms to normal, I have to say that my oil and gas comsuption have droped. Now the only problem is the car is a little sluggish..

Well win some loose some.

RF

manybrews
06-15-2003, 08:48 AM
your timing belt is probably incorrectly installed.