PDA

View Full Version : ES-V6 Questions

Mr. Sinister
08-22-2002, 11:44 AM
:?: Howdy yall, :?:
i have a 2001 ES-V6 and wanted to know what mods would be effective in both cost and preformance without voiding my 90,000 mile coverage.

i think someting like this maybe: AEM CIA, headers and Borla Exhaust (custom mandrel bent take out precat)

my Question is what should i get for headers and prehapes the name of a good exhaust shop in the DC/Baltimore area

i really would like the most bang for the buck but dont want to be too hard on the car its a daily driver and i will not run NOS at any point

my other ? is what is up with Superchargers and Turbos i Know the difference in how they get air into the intake but really dont understand the user difference which one would be a better choice and why? will it void my 90,000 coverage? which one would be easier on a daily driver with the A/C and Radio on full pump?

i appreciate all of your support and expert advice this board has been a real treat of knowledge and it dose not go unnoticed!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif :?:

Tazz2000
08-22-2002, 11:47 AM
If I remember correctly, headers would void the warranty. Unless you got them installed by some shop. And even then I'm not sure.

Auto-9
08-22-2002, 12:55 PM
If your dealership follows the same rules as mine practically everything is going to void warranty...springs, intake, you name it. If something major happens to my car and it's still drivable, I usually get the shop that installed my aftermarket parts to revert my car to stock for the warranty.

Fishboy55
08-22-2002, 01:20 PM
The standing rule is that all dealerships will tell you that anything aftermarket voids the warranty. The truth is that they have to prove that the part you added caused whatever problem you're trying to get fixed under warranty. For example, if I had a tranny problem and had a CAI on my car, there's no way the dealer could claim the CAI caused the tranny failure. If the issue ever arises, yes, you will probably have to argue, but that is the way the warranty is written. So if the dealer won't give you satisfaction, you call Mitsubishi and they'll make it right.

As far as a good exhaust shop, I have a great speed shop located in Catonsville, MD. This is the guy who installed my prototype RPW headers. He's a great mechanic and his son owns the body shop next door. PM me if you want the info. You said DC/Baltimore, so I'm assuming you're closer to DC.

Chip

cdaw2001ES
08-22-2002, 02:55 PM
I asked my dealer directly about headers, he said the would only void the warranty on the exhaust, nothing else.

He showed me a motor for a 3000GT VR4, with a piston melted into the block , suspicions were that excessive NOS was used, but they couldn't prove it, and they gave the guy a spanking new motor, with a warning "will do it this time, but that's it"

pinoyesv6
08-22-2002, 08:55 PM
by law, you are allowed to use aftermarket parts on your car without voiding the warranty. if this aftermarket part causes something to fail that is under warranty then that part of the warranty is voided. for dealers to void your warranty, they must prove that an aftermarket part or service has done something to void the warranty. on a side note, your exhaust has a seperate warranty. intake, learn how to install that urself so if something does fuck up, you can put the stock intake back on b4 the tow truck comes. another option is to modify your stock airbox to get a short ram setup. it takes like 2 mins to modify and revert back to stock.

as for shops, tell us where ur from, i cover a big range of maryland. i live like 10 minutes from mante, and 10 minutes from chip but they live an hour away from eachother...

Mr. Sinister
08-23-2002, 10:16 AM
i am form the University of MD College Park area i work in DC but do not mind terribly a short ride Once again thanks for all your help

BlueESV6
08-23-2002, 01:28 PM
AS far as the performance extreme like turbo and SC's... I wonder if the cost is worth it... unless you really know what your doing... you are basically at the mercy of a speed shop mechanic who is saying you need this and you need that!
The threads I have read have some real horror stories about mods gone bad!!

I like the KISS principle... Keep it Simple Stupid (that's me!)

Good luck with your decisions... let us know how it all works for you! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

7h3_wh173_kn16h7
08-24-2002, 01:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rileysride)</div><div class='quotemain'>i am form the University of MD College Park area i work in DC but do not mind terribly a short ride Once again thanks for all your help</div>

howdy....i am at UMCP. may be we could meet someday

Black2k1GTZ
08-24-2002, 04:08 PM
If you add the headers and change the exhaust piping...then yes it will void the exhaust portion of your warranty. But remember...the headers will come with some sort of warranty, who ever makes and installs your exhaust piping will offer sometype of warrranty as well. So if any portion of that system goes wrong it will be covered!!!

I think if you added a hi- flow cat in there as well you will have a pretty good setup...good luck!!

Marc :mg:

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 01:59 PM
for the closest speed shops uhm break out the ole phone book i know there are some in hyattsville but definitely in montgomery county like in the silver spring area. there are also a few in baltmore and northern virginia