PDA

View Full Version : My project 8G

UrbanDiplomat
01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
My name's Joseph, I'm new to the forums. I recently got a 2000 Galant that has seen better days from a family member. It's got over 270,000 miles on the chassis, with a cylinder head rebuild somewhere in the middle of that. My plan is to use the car to implement everything I've learned about them (cars) thus far, as well as to learn new things I can use in the future (interior, sound, etc...). I'm a UTI graduate and have been in the industry for 2+ years. Right now I'm focused on getting it back to a respectable condition; catching up on maintenance and fixing the body. Currently, I'm replacing the water pump. I've never encountered one so difficult...lol...please see my garage for the current pic. Thanks for reading.

DTP
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome

galantlvr34
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
welcome to tgc.

AVERAGE
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
While you're in there I would do the timing belt and the crank sensor.

galantlvr34
01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
While you're in there I would do the timing belt and the crank sensor.

he probably most likely is replacing that too.he went to school for mechanical work.

keith6110
01-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome to TGC! Going for the million mile club? lol

The G looks clean from what I can see on the lift.

Malcriaoxx
01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow 270k...But The car looks very clean

Corey2kG
01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Wheres the pics lol welcome

keith6110
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Wheres the pics lol welcome

Read the first post! Says check his garage.

Corey2kG
01-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Never seen it that blue lol

Rach3T8G
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Welcome!!

UrbanDiplomat
01-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Absolutely! i'd jump off a cliff if that belt or sensor took a dump after all this work...lol...forgive me guys...still figuring out how to use the forum (quoting and a few other things). Million mile club...lol. The right rear quarter panel needs some work. I actually decided to keep the current color a few days ago just to keep things simple. I also have to replace the timing belt tensioner as I didn't fasten the rod that comes out of it before taking it off...$50-$70 mistake :-/ I'll post up some more pics sometime today to give a better idea of what it looks like inside and out.

Bee-Rad '92
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
My '99 has 267K on it, and had a rebuilt head too. I've had to replace many wear and tear items though, but not the timing belt yet. It has a crapload of rattles and vibrations though.

Hey, just curious where in L.A are you?

UrbanDiplomat
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
My '99 has 267K on it, and had a rebuilt head too. I've had to replace many wear and tear items though, but not the timing belt yet. It has a crapload of rattles and vibrations though.

Hey, just curious where in L.A are you?
I live in DTLA near the Staples Center and tons of good food...I'm never moving...lol

Bee-Rad '92
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh wow! I live less than five miles from where you are, in Koreatown lol.

E_Emerson88
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
i live near Whittier. we have meets every so often. ill hit you up when we do

Joshua42007
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
welcome

Isaurio
01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
welcome

Bee-Rad '92
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
i live near Whittier. we have meets every so often. ill hit you up when we do

Ahhh i certainly cant wait for the next meet. Whoo whoo.

UrbanDiplomat
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Dope. I'll keep an eye out for one.

E_Emerson88
01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Ahhh i certainly cant wait for the next meet. Whoo whoo.

we are waiting for Albert to get a new car to get another meet going

Da_Prodigy
01-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Welcome to TGC your G looks clean considerig how many miles it's been through.

UrbanDiplomat
01-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Welcome to TGC your G looks clean considerig how many miles it's been through.

Thanks! (May change your mind once I get the rest of the pics up though...lol) Let's just say my bodywork skills are about to be put to the test.

I just ordered my water pump, both accessory belts, timing belt tensionser, and crankshaft position sensor from http://www.rockauto.com for $147.68 :icon_biggrin: They're prices are great! I'll let you guys know how their service is over the next two weeks. I'll be picking up a timing belt locally due to budget/time constraints. I'll try to get some more pics of the car up sometime today.

UrbanDiplomat
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
sorry for the double post

Predat-R
01-21-2011, 02:57 PM
welcome

UrbanDiplomat
01-29-2011, 06:09 AM
So yesterday I replaced the water pump, crankshaft position sensor, timing belt tensioner, and both accessory drive belts. I didn't change the timing belt because it was in pretty good condition since the car had some head work done not too long ago (and I ran out of money :icon_confused:).

Timing belt/water pump resources:
2.4L Timing Belt Change by theblackpearl (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=16604)
2G Timing Belt TSB (http://vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html) (can't remember where I sourced this one...sorry)

How to correctly set your oil pump gear:
4G64 blog entry by Zy via Wordpress (http://blog.zynine.com/tag/4g64/) (excellent write-up)

I worked on it during my lunch breaks; didn't get to take the pics I needed to do a complete write-up, here are some noteworthy things though (not in any particular order):

Have a decent prybar handy to help get the passenger side motor mount back into position.

Remember to LIGHTLY clamp the timing belt to the cam gear when re-installing (if you don't, it will keep falling off while installing the rest of it and piss you off)

You don't have to fully remove the alternator, just the tensioner that blocks the timing belt cover.

You don't have to remove the power steering lines to and from the pump; just remove the pump from the bracket, sit it aside, and the bracket from the motor.

A/C Compressor does not have to be touched.

There is a ton of additional information in the links listed above. Do not treat what I've written as law, but as another helpful bit of information you can use to get the job done.

OH! I told you guys I'd tell you how the service was with Rock Auto Parts (http://www.rockauto.com/)...they were great. My parts shipped the same day and arrived exactly when they said they would. I was provided Fedex tracking hyperlinks as well. I wouldn't suggest ordering from Autozone online. I requested next day shipping and my order wasn't even looked at until I called 3 days later!!! :nono:

< Check My Garage for pics of the parts and installed water pump. Next are struts, springs, axles, and tie rods.

UrbanDiplomat
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I have an issue :100:. My new water pump is leaking pretty bad at its outlet, right above the alternator. I was sure to replace the o-ring using the one provided, the pump outlet felt pretty snug when I pushed it onto the receiving pipe, and I torqued down all of its bolts pretty good. Did I miss something in connecting the water pump outlet to the pipe? Is there like a sound or feeling that will let me know it's been properly attached? Thanks in advance.

mko
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
You should have put a layer of RTV on the water pipe under the o-ring seal and then one in the water pump housing where the o-ring slides in. The RTV helps the o-ring to slide in, acts like a lubricant, and then seals it after time. I have pinched the o-ring before going in the water pump and it cuts a chunk of it. It sucks especially when you have bunch of crap to remove to get to it. Use slight twisting moves sliding the water pipe instead of just pushing it straight in

UrbanDiplomat
01-30-2011, 02:03 PM
You should have put a layer of RTV on the water pipe under the o-ring seal and then one in the water pump housing where the o-ring slides in. The RTV helps the o-ring to slide in, acts like a lubricant, and then seals it after time. I have pinched the o-ring before going in the water pump and it cuts a chunk of it. It sucks especially when you have bunch of crap to remove to get to it. Use slight twisting moves sliding the water pipe instead of just pushing it straight in

Rats. Thanks man. Looks like I'll be going back in next weekend. I'll take the time to do a better write up with photos this time.