PDA

View Full Version : Help with my springs...

seth98esT
03-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Well i took my car to my shop i always take it to to get my lower ball joint replaced and my springs put on and the guy there didnt like the idea but said he would try anyways. My mom just talked to the shop and they told her the springs did not fit and he thought that they would cause alignment problems. I was like WTF? :lauging: So i say screw shops, im doing it myself. I need some tutorials or something, i saw one from an 8g not too long ago, but i dont know how to and would like some info on what needs to come off and such...

TIA

Khopari
03-20-2003, 02:37 PM
i told you to do it home,,,, ok Tip#1 Jack The Car up,, lol,, my friend try to replace the spring,, the first time,, he was triying w/o jack.... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Xavier22
03-20-2003, 02:45 PM
DAMN, those were some good complete instructions u gave, K - u gave him enough info. to finish the job and then some............. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

seth - u need a spring compressor also - a lot easier

seth98esT
03-20-2003, 02:48 PM
yah i need a spring compressor and torque wrench, but i need some directions hehe

I got it ('http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9639')

any other tips would be helpful though :wink:

2True
03-20-2003, 03:28 PM
That helps you on the rear only, the front is the real bitch. I'd write a tutorial for ya Seth but I'm at work right now and it would take to long. It is not possible to put Eibach's on wothout a spring compressor, when you attain one of those let me know and I'll help ya on MSN messenger. I just took out my coilovers this last weekend so I am pretty fresh on all aspects of what you need to do.

I want to help... really, but now is a bad time :laughing:

Wes

seth98esT
03-20-2003, 03:32 PM
i am going to get rent a spring compressor at autozone for free...im thinking of doing the rears today and then the fronts tomorrow...you free tomorrow?

my moms gettin real pissy and saying all this crap why my car doesnt need lowered and i shouldnt do it :lauging: i respect my mom and all, but she just doesnt understand....

2True
03-20-2003, 03:40 PM
I'll tell ya how to do the fronts tonight and then you can do them tomorrow.

Did you tell her that you got the Cadillac of all lowering springs and she should take a chill pill? ... that's what I told my wife when I got mine :laughing:

EDIT: Does anyone know what the hell my avatar is? I just picked it because the site for my Bujinkai Shidoshi site keeps going down, and that little guy looks cool. 8)

Fishboy55
03-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Not only should you respect your Mom, but with well over 2000 posts, Seth, you should also respect the search engine. Gee, I guess it must be down again. :roll: If you had looked, you might have found this, with pictures and everything.

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...hlight=tutorial ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075&highlight=tutorial')

Consider this post moderated.

seth98esT
03-20-2003, 03:49 PM
hehe yes yes yes the search engine, what can i say, im lazy...i use the search engine a lot actually, i was just too lazy today https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif thanks guys, much appriciated

(i feel like a n00b hehe)

BTW is everything just about the same between the 7g and 8g?

2True
03-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Sorry Chip... but you're wrong my friend.

The 7g uses a fork rod assembly for the front struts, that tutorial is useless for Seth being that is where most of the problems occur. The rear assembly is the same... as it is on many cars.

seth98esT
03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
how bout this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kevin)</div><div class='quotemain'>This tutorial is on installing coil-overs on shock and struts for the 94-98 U.S. Galant. I tried to be as detailed as possible for this installation. If you are not familiar with your suspension and not confident on installing I strongly suggest to have a professional install it. My setup is KYB AGX's with SKUNK2 racing coil-over kit for the 95-99 Eclipse/Talon. Take note that any aftermarket performance products will give you a different ride quality from stock. Performance suspension parts are designed for load and stress for high performance demands. Don't expect a "soft and luxury" ride....simply you will not get it with performance suspension parts which are made to improve handling for the vehicle. Â*

You will need:

-Car Jack Â*

-Car jack stands Â*

-Socket wrench Â*

-Wrench Clamp Â*

-17mm socket Â*

-4mm socket Â*

-Lubricant Â*

-Hammer

-STRUTS- Â*

STRUT REMOVAL Â*

1. Jack up the front of the car and have the car resting on car jacks. Make sure emergency brakes are on. Â*

2. Take off wheels. Â*

3. Open your hood and remove the strut mount nuts with a 4mm socket. If you have a strut bar...its the same procedure. Â*

4. DRIVERS SIDE: the bolt is on the left side of the strut boot. Use a nut wrench with a 17mm socket and remove the bolt. This bolt helps the boot clamp on the strut. (NOTE: You could also unbolt where the lower control arm and strut boot connect..but this is secured highly torqued. This will require a air gun to remove.) Â*

PASSENGER SIDE: The passenger side strut boot is different and a little difficult to remove the bolt. The bolt is on the left side still but the Sway bar rod is very close to the bolt which makes unscewing the bolt difficult. Loosen the sway bar rod with 4mm socket and this should give you some room to unscrew the strut boot bolt. Â*

5. You will need to apply force downward on the rotor so the boot and the bottom of the strut will separate. (This will take some time) Â*

6. Once you get the stut out, take a wrench clamp and clamp the very top of the strut rod. It will have flat ends which will allow you to clamp the rod. Â*

7. With the strut rod clamped...take a wrench and remove the nut. Â*

8. Once you loosen the nut, remove all strut mount parts and the bump stop. Â*

COILOVER/STRUT INSTALL Â*

1. You struts should have spring perches....you will have to remove these perches for proper coilover installation. (NOTE: If you don't remove these spring perches, your coil sleeve will be loose and cause damage to the assembly. Also...you will not achieve stated height adjustment that is claimed) Â*

2. Make sure you sure the floor is padded with cloth or some other type of material. Turn strut upside down so its resting on the top of the strut rod. Â*

3. Take a hammer and cautiously knock off the spring perch. Make sure you don't hit the strut. Â*

4. From here, review your coil-over installation manual for correct installation of the coil sleeve. (Varies with manufacturers) Â*

5. You will NEED to use the factory bump stop...you should cut it in half and apply it as stated on coil-over installation guide. Â*

6. Reinstall strut mount. (I strongly recommend to purchase new strut mounts...KYB makes them) Â*

7. Once you have the strut mount on....tighten securely. Using the wrench clamp on top of the strut rod....tighten the nut. Â*

8. Lightly lubricate the bottom of the strut. Â*

9. You can either compress the strut to make it shorter so you can install the strut and place the bottom of the strut into the strut boot. Â*

10. You will notice on the strut there is a little guide on the strut shaped in a "T". You MUST align this with the strut boot clamp to allow a secure and proper fit. Â*

11. Securely tighten the strut boot. Â*

12. Apply upward force the the rotor. (I used another car jack for this) Tighten the strut mounts uptop. (If you have a strut bar..don't worry about it right now, this is so when we drop the car the strut assembly is secure.) Â*

13. Drop the car....from here you can do any adjustment to ride height. If you have a strut bar...go ahead and install it at this point. Â*

-SHOCKS- Â*

SHOCK REMOVAL Â*

1. Remove the rear seats. ( If you have a ES/LS/GS and you have the fold down seats...just fold them down) Â*

2. Remove the shock mount cap. Â*

3. Loosen the shock mount with a 4mm socket. Â*

4. Jack the rear end of the car and lay the car on car jacks. Â*

5. Remove the wheels Â*

6. On the bottom of the shock..remove the bolt with a 17mm socket. Â*

7. You may need to put some downward pressure to the rotor/drum to remove the shock. Â*

COILOVER/SHOCK INSTALLATION Â*

1. With the shocks out, take a wrench clamp and clamp the top of the shock rod. Â*

2. Unscrew the nut from the shock. Â*

3. Remove the whole shock mount and factory bump stop. Â*

4. Your new shocks will have spring perches. Since you are installing coil-overs, you don't need these spring perches for the same reason the struts don't need them. Â*

5. Same procedure as the struts. Turn the shock upside down and cautiously knock off the spring perches. DO NOT hit the shock. Â*

6. From here...refer to your coilover installation guide on coil sleeve installation. Â*

7. You will need to cut the factory bump stop in half. Â*

8. Place springs and shock mounts back. Just reverse the removal steps. (I strongly suggest replacing your shock mounts) Â*

9. Take the wrench clamp and clamp the top of the shock rod. It is flat so you can do this. Â*

10. While rod is clamped....take a wrench and securely tighten the nut. Â*

11. You could either compress the shock or apply downward force the the rotor/drum to install the shock assembly. Â*

12. Make sure the shock is firmly secure to the lower control arm. Â*

13. Bolt on and securely tighten the shock.
http://www.galantspeed.com/StrutInstall.jpg
</div>

:wink:

2True
03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Good luck getting your strut out of the boot without removing the fork from the control arm. I had to hit my fork boot with a hammer to get it off of the strut!

Oh, and just loosen the top bolts until you remove the strut from the boot. It will make life much easier. Good Luck partner :thumbsup:

Fishboy55
03-20-2003, 04:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry Chip... but you're wrong my friend. Â*

The 7g uses a fork rod assembly for the front struts, that tutorial is useless for Seth being that is where most of the problems occur. The rear assembly is the same... as it is on many cars.</div>
Thanks, Wes. I stand corrected. I forgot Seth had a 7g. Sorry Seth, but it looks like you answered your own question in the next post. hehe

Chip