PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

513scottyak
01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
As many of you already know there are many cars that are built on/ around the same platform as 8g's... thus allowing much interchange on parts from other Mitsubishi, Dodge, Chrystel, etc models. I'm also sure that many of you are aware that Hyundai, and other auto-manufactures, use versions of the 4g64 motor or oddly similar dimensioned blocks. This reason has made me look into Hyundai for any potential interchangeable parts. While in a 2009 Hyundai Sonata today something about the door handles looked strikingly familiar. At least on outward appearance they appear to be identical to our 8g interior door handles. After looking the car over for a while many of the interior panels look similar in general dimensions and appearance. Some of the parts I believe would make a direct bolt up with no modification. Other parts, for instance the door panels look as though they might bolt right in and would for sure fit in with minimal modification. The dash and center console are very different... mainly air vents, electronic air controls, radio position,etc. Every part in the car seems to look as tho its inspiration was the 8g galant. The last notable thing that looked identical was the triangular mounting shape of the exterior rear view mirrors and the basic trunk shape... but more mod. I didn't actually have time to take and physical dimensions of any parts or exam fastener locations. The car will be at my work for the next week or so. I will try to get around to some measurements and pictures. Web search 09 sonata and check it out.

Exhaust power
01-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I doubt the interior is even close, but you can try.

513scottyak
01-20-2011, 04:43 PM
went to work for bout an hour today even though we are closed due to about 8 inches of snow for the day. Snow plows cant keep up now either. But anyway started with some basic measurements of the interior. The door cards are almost identical (height and width, uncertain about depth) the location of the door handle is only about a millimeter or two off in position same with most of the bolting locations, except i cannot confirm that on the position of the door pull handle screw. I don't know if inside section of the door will have clearance issues. It appears the only fitment issues on the face side of the door skin would be where and how the contour of door skin flows into the dash... totally different shape, but could be matched with minimal fiberglass work. also from just doing some basic measurements i feel that carpet would fit almost perfect too (the location of the bolt holes for seat and the structure of them are almost identical.) The carpet is more of luxury type like something you find in BMW, not like the synthetic crush crap galants come with. From what I have seen online, they interiors on the sonatas come in a wood grain trim/ beige/ dark coffee brown, or silver trim/ black. I will continue to look into this. Any questions about it leave em and I'll try to answer.

G-spot
01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Well it looks nice but other than the door handle the fitment itself looks very different. But I like the seats though...
http://carbl.com/im/2009/09/2011-hyundai-sonata-3-550x403.jpg

513scottyak
01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
thats the 09 and a half. look at like an 06 to 09. every link from google has the same pics.... best pictures i have found are on cardomain. i will take my digital camera to work tomorrow and get some pics. wow... check it out<- not a link just wanted to say

RedGalant2k1
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Good luck. Let us know how you fair with this.

tamim13
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Great work, there was another similar thread about the Hyundai's XG interiors -

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=43425&highlight=hyundai

01blackG
01-23-2011, 09:07 AM
If you do some searching there are plenty of aftermarket dealers that specialize in different parts for the galants. Just wonder, why bother with getting parts that need modifications when you can buy parts that swap out and in with no mods needed?