PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new valve guides?

John165
01-25-2011, 01:49 PM
I removed the head on 2002 Galant because of a blowed head gasket. The car also used a lot of oil before it had a blowed head gasket, and since I dont intend to foil with the block for possible ring problems I thought I could have done as much as possible to the head to make sure no oil consumption could be coming from it.

Now that I have the head off, I was wondering what else should be replaced in the head besides the valve stem seals? Maybe valve guides? If I have new guides installed in the head, what else has to be done in addition to the new guides? The guides are only couple dollars a piece, so I figured why not have them replaced while the head is off the car????

I want to make sure that anywhere oil could leak in the head is fixed since it is removed from the car.

reiketsutsukigami
01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
then yea get new seals and guides have it checked for any leaks anyone else wanna add on i feel like im missing something.

DTP
01-26-2011, 12:08 AM
if it blew a head gasket, get the block/head check for warp-age... other than that you should be good. did you have a lifter tick? if so, i'd replace those too

John165
01-26-2011, 02:52 AM
The head is being checked for cracks and warp-age. The motor never made any ticking noise.

So can new guides be installed without any other work done?

DTP
01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
The head is being checked for cracks and warp-age. The motor never made any ticking noise.

So can new guides be installed without any other work done?

I believe so, but don't quote me on it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome