PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan dilemma

littlejuanito
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I've been having the infamous problem of the radiator fan not turning on. I don't know if it's the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECT Sensor) or the thermostat which I replaced about 6 months ago or whatever.
What would the benefits and/or problems be if I wire the fan to run at all times as opposed to the fan not running or running whenever it feels like it?

littlejuanito
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Would anyone care to help me with this? Thanks.

galantlvr34
01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
make sure your coolant is topped off.does your car overheat?and a problem with the fan being wired to be on all time will the fan will wear out faster.there is a relay for the fan in fuse box too.maybe a fuse or relay went bad.

silversurfer
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
no benefits to running the fan all of the time too cold , have the car plugged in for a code no the thermostat doesnt really cause that . it sounds like the fan relay went bad

littlejuanito
01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Well the car doesnt really overheat. It just fluctuates between the half point and 3/4 marks. Only on certain occasions while idleding at drive-thrus, the temp goes up to just below the red mark. I would want it to be steady at the half way point.

galantlvr34
01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Well the car doesnt really overheat. It just fluctuates between the half point and 3/4 marks. Only on certain occasions while idleding at drive-thrus, the temp goes up to just below the red mark. I would want it to be steady at the half way point.

check you radiator fluid and check the fuse/relay for the fan under the hood.

littlejuanito
01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
check you radiator fluid and check the fuse/relay for the fan under the hood.

The fluid is good and up to level. Next thing to check will be the fuse. Should I just replace it?

galantlvr34
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
The fluid is good and up to level. Next thing to check will be the fuse. Should I just replace it?
yeah you can try replacing and see what happens.did you look at the wiring and make sure it is plugged in and none of the wires are loose.