PDA

View Full Version : what do you prefer turbo or the supercharger

mitsu4G64
03-21-2003, 02:54 PM
i got asked cuz you i keep gettin all these different opions about what i should get ..... a turbo or a supercharger ....the thing is... i heard that with a turbo you can do all these upgrades and it never stops cuz its a turbo but you have to change your compression and all of the other internals, but with a supercharger you can just put it on and bam you got instant power could we please have a poll to see which is better for the I4 galant turbo or supercharger ... please give an opion https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Lazarus
03-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Turbo, It can be adjusted ant custom done which I heard is alot of fun. Also it makes power from substance you already have. and creates more. With the Supercharger you must use Power to create power. Also. With the SDS you can't adjust it so I am told due to the black box.

Khopari
03-21-2003, 05:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>Turbo, Â*It can be adjusted ant custom done which I heard is alot of fun. Also it makes power from substance you already have. and creates more. With the Supercharger you must use Power to create power. Also. With the SDS you can't adjust it so I am told due to the black box.</div>

well this is what i think,, if you got cash and u loaded go for S/C,, i have alwasy love S/C but its just too much money,, so if you short on cash,, go for Turbo,,

oh yea you posted on wrong forum

Auto-9
03-21-2003, 06:12 PM
I prefer turbo for the all out guys. For the instant on supercharger is the way to go, you get instant gratification.

Khopari
03-21-2003, 06:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I prefer turbo for the all out guys. For the instant on supercharger is the way to go, you get instant gratification.</div>

Rali,, dont even say nothing,, i thought u were all into NOS.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Fishboy55
03-21-2003, 06:20 PM
SC is lower maintenace than a turbo. Turbo cars are 1500 mile oil changes. Economically a SC is gonna beat the Turbo. Plus like Peter said, instant gratification. and 280HP from 6psi is kinda nice too.

Lazarus
03-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah on the V6 but for us I4s that are looking for 300whp. We'll be lucky to see 250whp with the SDS and other mods.

Fastgalants
03-22-2003, 11:05 AM
i'd go with a supercharger. sure it's a bit pricey but it's more stable than a turbo. also, the powerband with a supercharger is much flatter than a turbo that kicks in after a certain number of RPM's. i still love turbos, but the supercharger for our cars looks too sweet to resist.

contact rippmodds for more info. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

manybrews
03-22-2003, 05:04 PM
i prefer BIG, naturally aspirated engines.

nothing sweeter than a 455 cubic inch pontiac motor cranking out 500 hp on pump gas.

HeadAche
03-22-2003, 08:06 PM
I will take a turbo over a SC anyday.. The turbo has just so many tunning options it crazy, everything from manifold size, to turbine trim, and running compression... The SC will only make power, with the mods you have, the only good effect is that is consistant, meaning the power is used threw out the band.. either way TURBO'S are just more fun..lol

Mante
03-23-2003, 04:29 PM
ok my take on it, if I could afford it I would definitly without a doubt go s/c for the fact of no lag (hmm I want to take off fast, no problem) s/c is the next best thing to having all motor. Plus you can always change the pulley for higher Psi, add an intercooler and even more...well thats just cooling the air that will be EXTREMELY hot. More then anything nothing sounds more intimadating then Nicely tuned s/c in the morning lol constant hizzzz. Oh yes self contained!

Other end I have no choice but to like t/c for the simple fact that your ride is probrably losing until say 3000 rpm then BOOOOM you covered 100 feet in seconds. You do lose when it comes to maintance, oil lines, coolant lines..blah what a mess. and you can piece a t/c together with lunch money lol.

As usual it comes down to how deep your pockets are....

S/C for me!

Ghost Beat
03-24-2003, 10:00 AM
id preffer both https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Dilemma
03-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Turbooo for me is the quintessential component for our cars.

Mante
03-24-2003, 11:59 AM
id preffer both https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Since you prefer both be sure to check out Page 62 in the issue of Turbo & high tech performance april 03.....lastly...prepare to drowl

Ghost Beat
03-24-2003, 02:36 PM

Since you prefer both be sure to check out Page 62 in the issue of Turbo & high tech performance april 03.....lastly...prepare to drowl

wasent sayign id do it said if i had the means to im going for a swap with a turbo prolly next year if everything goes right and i get everythign figured out.

00GTZ00
03-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Supercharger all they way, less overall cost vs a turbo, easier to work on and has as many "tuning" options as a turbo....

T-O-P
03-24-2003, 07:00 PM
I'd go with the S/C .. Cuz It looks like the author of this post has a I4 Galant. A smaller motor needs all the get up and go it needs in a slighty heavier car. Top end is pretty much already taken care of from other mods.

RIPPMODS
03-29-2003, 10:26 AM
This is a nice thread, being bias because we sell an SC system, I know it's hard for me to post here, but as a tuner with 11 years under his belt, there are reasons we went with this set up instead of turbo:

1: Reliability (there is less overall parts to go bad and a 2 year warranty)
2: Ease of install (less overall parts to install and break down)
3: Power (instant power even on the Auto no boost lag)
4: Economically its an easier product to maintain (there is less heat and thermal break down so there less maintenance overall)
5: Ease of upgrading, pulley size means more boost
6: Less wear and tear on the engine (an engine not designed for boost does not take to the heat the turbo produces)

We could have produced a TC kit but we feel enthusiast are getting tired of investing into a big dollar mods and then having to invest into an engine prematurely because the turbo decided to boost creep or spike ... these things make a turbo dangerous, and since most people can't afford to do a TC set up correctly the SC is always more economical, in long term.

For more info check out our website FAQ's section:
http://www.rippmods.com/generalPages/qanda...uId=4&pageId=51 ('http://www.rippmods.com/generalPages/qanda.asp?menuId=4&pageId=51')

Hope this helps,
Ross
Rippmods
www.rippmods.com

SuperchargedGTZ
03-29-2003, 03:15 PM
being biased myself....give me a good example of a V6 6G72 that has a TC that has run even good without the addition of a Haltech???

there is also nothing better than the wistle of a car with this kit.

i went to mitsu today to check out the evo and my car ended up being the spectacle. every salesperson there was looking under my hood.

one guy actually said he would buy it if i was sellin https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Alister_McRae
03-30-2003, 02:24 PM
What's the estimated life on an engine that is running a super charged application? I was also thinking about getting a super charger, but i just want to preserve my engine as long as possible.

Auto-9
03-30-2003, 04:11 PM
being biased myself....give me a good example of a V6 6G72 that has a TC that has run even good without the addition of a Haltech???

Mine https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Oh wait you said runs good https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

jiul
03-31-2003, 09:08 AM
On the old RPW webb site, they said that running a supercharger causes higher temps., and that most tuners just run a richer mix to lower temps.
( I can't find the quote on the new site or I would post the eaxct quote)
How does that affect the engine in the long and short run.
If you add an I/C to a supercharger would that keep oil on the proper temp range?
As far as "lag" if you do nothing to an engine but bolt on a T/C or a S/C why would there be any lag? The engine would just run as it did prior to adding either of those.
Also a supercharger, unless it is a roots type, would probably need some RPM build up before really kicking in also ..no?

And last, if I don't want to change the piston heads I probaly can't go over say 8PSI max, so which setup, a TC or a S/C with the right exhaust, would be a better set up for regular stop light to stop light and daily driving?

SuperchargedGTZ
04-01-2003, 07:35 AM
well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. think about it is just commen sense. a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. just my opinion.

Censee
04-03-2003, 11:14 PM
arent there supercharger intercoolers on the ripp kits???

jiul
04-04-2003, 09:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. Â*think about it is just commen sense. Â*a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Â*Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. Â*so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. Â*but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. Â*just my opinion.</div>

Why would you tun a T/C without an I/C?
My question was about running a S/C with an I/C

jiul
04-04-2003, 09:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i hate to say it, but if you are running a turbo with no intercooler your air temps are going to be ALOT higher than a s/c. Â*think about it is just commen sense. Â*a turbo uses exhaust gas to turn the compressor. Â*Now as we all know exhaust gas is HOT. Â*so unless there is not heat transfer from the turbine side to the compressor side than RPW is right. Â*but since that is not the case i would have to say that the intake temps of a turbo non-intercooler car vs a sc non intercooled are higher. Â*just my opinion.</div>

Why would you tun a T/C without an I/C?
My question was about running a S/C with an I/C

jiul
04-04-2003, 09:20 AM

What I am asking is this: puting an intercooler on a suprcahrged engine would do what to oil temp?

Is there such a thing a temp too low for oil to flow properly?

mitsu4G64
04-04-2003, 11:24 PM
so are you sayin that if i put on a supercharger then i have to get some type of intercooler ... i don't get it

VegasMatt
04-05-2003, 12:40 AM
The rippmods kit doesnt come with an intercooler. It will be interesting this summer running the ripp kit in 117 degree heat.

HeadAche
04-05-2003, 12:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>The rippmods kit doesnt come with an intercooler. Â*It will be interesting this summer running the ripp kit in 117 degree heat.</div>

With temps that high out there in Vegas, what methods are you going to use to keep the temps down.. I know myself im running a spearco front mount of a 2g DSM, but we dont get as hot here in Florida as you guyz do out there in Sin City..

VegasMatt
04-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Thats a good questions, I might have to get the front mount this summer and not really push it hard. Its something to think about for sure. I'll talk to Ross and ask his opinion. Its a dry heat, but hell it sure is still hot!

DJ Galant
04-09-2003, 05:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know myself im running a spearco front mount of a 2g DSM, but we dont get as hot here in Florida as you guyz do out there in Sin City..</div>

I am assuming you u gonna run some aftermarket intercooler that was put on 2g dsm.
Yeah, temp in vegas rich way over 100 in the summer, I am not going to boost it much myself, cuz queit frenkly with AC on, i blew my shit last year.

b-boy_sky
04-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I thought that you couldn't run an intercooler with a s/c unless it was a centrifugal s/c.....

SuperchargedGTZ
04-10-2003, 07:35 AM
i was just replying to the statement that was made about s/c causing more heat than a t/c.

but, no, currently the kit does not come with an I/C. but will soon. this is one of the projects Ross is doing.

also, to the comment about the s/c? this is a centrifugal blower.

Mante
04-10-2003, 09:58 AM
all in all with a s/c it cost WAY more and you dont get an intercooler..hmm that doesnt make sense to me. And correct me if Im wrong but you can always make more power with a t/c setup unlike a s/c what u pay for is what u get, add an intercooler and get alittle more. yes a s/c is more reliable but who really cares frankly if your not in the state of mindto tune and maintain your car drive it stock so thats out the window. What else, the powers constant yup constantly set by a lil black box or something lol. T/c the use of a boost controller can make your car go from highway to track with the press of a lil button. I would get a s/c to stand out but you pay for it. You pay more and you get so much less

Comments expressed by Mante are those of he and he alone a response is not recommended.....

TITAN
05-16-2003, 12:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>i prefer BIG, naturally aspirated engines.

nothing sweeter than a 455 cubic inch pontiac motor cranking out 500 hp on pump gas.</div>

yep, my old '88 Bonneville could lay that down no problem. LOL :roll:

TITAN
05-16-2003, 01:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>As far as "lag" if you do nothing to an engine but bolt on a T/C or a S/C why would there be any lag? The engine would just run as it did prior to adding either of those.</div>

Turbo lag bro, ever heard of it? and you are exaclty right, if you just bolt it on then your car will run just as it did before while you are spooling up to approx. 3000rpm. then the turbo kicks it. the "lag" is time it takes the car to boost. thats why people get NOS, to fill the lower-end gap.

as far as lag with the S.C., well I dont think there really is. it is designed for off-the-line acceleration, or low end torque.