PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard Run...1g TB mod

seth98esT
03-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Alright, I went to my local junkyard today to see what all they had(mainly looking for 1g tb) and found a 1g Laser RS with a 4g63. It is missing a valve cover and I spun both cam shafts, but only one of them spun freely. It has a hood so rust was minimal. Also it had a Cyclone Intake manifold. I thought Cyclone was JDM? So you guys think the head would be in re-buildable condition? I am going to get new cams and cam gears anyway, you guys want some pics or anything? I am going back tomorrow to pick up the throttlebody off of it.

I also found an older 4-door Mirage that resembles a 6g a lot, just smaller. it had a 4g61 in it i believe. pretty good body condition, no rust. Interior was in rather good condition too. Im thinking a new 4g63 transplant, sounds like a good project :wink:

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 03:03 AM
what are some good ways to tell if the head is in descent shape? im giong back tomorrow and would like to buy it if it will work...

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 01:17 PM
ok, got my tb...its rather dirty, what should i use to clean it? im going back next week for the intake mani and MAYBE the head. i forgot my camera so no pics hah o well...

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 01:37 PM
alright all the screws to that hold on the IAC are all STUCK i cant get any one of them out, i keep striping them! JiP were yoours stick on like mine? im going to spray some liquid wrench on them now before i totally strip them brb

(nobody reading this post?)

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 01:44 PM
ok this is pissing me off, all the screws are like stipped now...i have no patience

i sprayed some liquid wrench all over then filed down a flat head bit so it would fit on the phillips screw. then i applied pressure and turned, the screw didnt turn, but the metal inside it did so they are all stripped...im about to take a drill bit to the head of the screw and pop em off

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 02:28 PM
ok, i got em all out haha...kinda took a drill bit to em and popped off the heads :wink: now i need new screws...

2True
03-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Talking to yourself is a sign of insanity https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

:laughing:

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 03:12 PM
hey you stay out of this! i was having a perfectly good conversation...im about to jb weld in a few holes on my IAC brb AGAIN

:lauging: this is fun!

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 06:02 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid56/p8b4e12d8839f5bfe6912926666061149/fc76fd22.jpg
heres a pic with some questions...what do those 2 hoses on the top of the 4g64 tb for anyway? theres only 2 holes on the bottum, one if antifreeze and not sure what the other is for...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid56/p8c64416fb6fbe9dc2f457bebbff33a2b/fc76fd28.jpg
heres a pic of the stock tb still installed, you can see the 2 hoses connected on top of the tb...i dont know what they are used for :?
here ('http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290482185') are some misc pics of the 1g and stock tb comparisons...1g tb is quite a bit larger @ 60mm...

Khopari
03-22-2003, 06:16 PM
seth u are funny as hell,, i was reading this post all the time,, but i have no idea wtf you talking about....... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

JiP
03-22-2003, 06:48 PM
I have no hoses or even ability to connect hoses on my 4g64 tb like the one in your last pic. If you do, and you need to connect them they are there on the 1g tb. I have 4 pipes to connect hoses, if you have only 2 just use a T connector and add the third in, most likely emmisions crap that you dont need anyway.

And you already IM'd me and told me you reread my site and I'm assuming you got it all under control now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BTW: The bolts on the IAC are like a bitch, I use big pliers and grabbed the heads to crack them loose. One bolt I coulnt get to and I just dremmeled the head of, who cares, bolts can be replaced.

Good luck!

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 12:52 AM
i figured out those hoses i think hah on top of my stock tb there are 3 holes(only 2 hose inlets) that have P, E, and A over the top...2 hoses go in the E and the A...on the 1g tb there is P, E, and A, but 3 hose inlets so E goes to E and A goes to A and P is plugged https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif hopefully

JiP
03-23-2003, 01:03 AM
If theres no metal pipe to slip a hose on..its plugged. If by some chance its not..thats why they invented RTV lol

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 01:21 AM
yah, on the stock tb there is not metal pipe on the p so it is closed, but on the 1g there is a metal pipe so im going to plug it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 12:34 PM
ok the 1g tb is on and all the hoses are connected except for those top 2, i hafta go to autozone and find some longer ones cause the hose inlets are on the oppossite side as the stock tb. you guys really thing these hoses are needed? the hoses are under the A and E...Air and Emissions maybe? i have no clue haha...
this is the top of a 1g turbo tb(same thin, cept i dont have that diagonal hose)
http://www.turbo4wd.com/pictures/HeadSwapPics/HeadSwap6A/MVC-549S.JPG

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 12:51 PM
uh oh :oops: connected everything, started her up and she idled about 2.5-3k RPM, tightned the BISS all the way down and got it down to 2k...i shut her off to and took off the intake tube to see if the butterfly valve was straight up and down at 0 throttle and i see some antifreeze sitting in the tb!!!!!!!!!!!! help!!!!!!! why is there anti freeze in my tb? this blows, i hafta go back to school today and dont want to drive my car untill i know its good https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif JiP where are you!

JiP
03-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I should just save our AIM convo;s and post them up here lol

A) He obviosuly didnt seal the center chanel too well, he used JBweld will be good for the insides...but you have to use gasketsealer over the top to make sure to seal any little hole. Unless you can totaly machine the jbweld to perfectly match the surface lol

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif Seth ran the car without the hoses connected cause they wouldnt reach, but he never bothered to cap the holes on the intake where the hose would go, so the intake is sucking in all the air it wants through the hose connectors. If you run the car and put ur finger over the holes, you should hear the idle drop down. You will still idle around 900rpm on somedays, but I havnt had any problems at all with anything.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 01:49 PM
correct! fixing everything now...went to autozone, got some longer hose and gasket sealer all for about $3

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 03:20 PM
fixed it all, started it and gave it a few revs, turned it off and no leak...still had a 2k rpm so i slid the throttle cable slider down a bit cause i had it tightened from the old tb...

now if the car is off and i pull the throttle cable should antifreeze leak out?

cause none leaked out while the car was on...just when i checked the valve while it was off...

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 03:26 PM
anybody, kain, craig? i just went out and moved the butterfly valve to see if antifreeze was leaking on the otherside and some steam came out :?

didnt not smell or anything...was i just not supposed to pull on the tb cable while the car was off? if thats the deal i will be happy, if not then back on goes the stock tb...

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 04:00 PM
how bout doing the coolant bypass mod? its warm here so no need for antifreeze in the tb? just a though...somebody answer my damn post im dying here https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif plus talking to myself isnt very comforting anymore :wink:

Kain
03-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Uhh... I got distracted when you said 4g61....mmm...if it's complete strip everything you can off of it. Those parts are like GOLD to the people who have that engine. If you pulled that TB off a turbo car with a Cyclone intake, someone had been messing with it. That's a N/T TB. And the Cyclone (to my knowledge) was a JDM only part. Your stock TB looks diffrent from mine. My stock TB has 3 vaccum taps, not two. I'm still waiting on my proper 1g TB to arrive (that's what I get buying cheap I guess) The closed throttle sensor can be removed if it bothers you, or just leave it, it dosen't really matter. As for the antifreze in the lines...well, if worse comes to worse, you can just re-route the lines so there's no antifreze in there, and cap off the lines. Actually, you might wanna do that and see if it stops or if your "steam" is coming from somewhere else.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 04:07 PM
i want to re-route them, you only need it in the winter right? i cant find a tutorial on how to do it anywhere! haha so where should it be re-routed to?

the tb seemed to be stock, looked just like JiPs, at least all the channels in the tb and iac...

and the steam i think was just from the antifreeze getting hot? maybe, maybe not, im going to go back out start it up and see if anything leaked. but re-routing it would make me much much more happy, i dont think my head would like antifreeze all mixed in it...

thanks for replying, and im going to snatch that Cyclone intake next weekend...

Kain
03-23-2003, 04:54 PM
It's easy. Just take off the two cooling hoses, and either connect them together, or replace them with a single hose. Than cap off the inlet and outlet on the TB. I've actually never seen any reason for running coolant through the TB unless you live in Alaska or something. I live in GA, so I could definitely live without it. The diffrences in TBs might be that mine are both from '94s which, as I'm learning, is diffrent from the '95-'98s in a few inconsequential ways. And if you can, check if that Mirage is really a 4g61t (it'll look just like a 4g63 but with a silver vavle cover) if it is, I know some people who'd really like some of those parts if you're willing to work with them. (especially that nice, rare ecu. Assuming it's not dead) and, yeah that steam you saw is probably antifreze. But I'm wondering if it's still leaking or if some residue is still burning off.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 04:59 PM
so...which hoses do i connect? there are 2 hoses coming from the iac and they both go to a different place. one goes kinda up by the head and the other is real short and only goes a few inches...nm i think i get it, just BYPASS the tb :wink: haha brain fart ahhhh im ok now, seriously

im pretty sure its just a regular 4g61, i didnt look for a turbo on the mirage since i just figured it was NA...ill look though. same with the laser witht he cyclone intake mani, i looked to see if it was but i couldnt really tell cause it was stacked on top of another car and hard to see into the bay. on the mirage it has the same valve cover as the 4g63 except it is 1600 where the 4g63 is 2000? i looked at the engine code on the firewall and it said 4g61 too :wink:

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 05:02 PM
can i just connect the tb inlet and outlet together? i dont have any caps :oops: i always forget something https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif or is there an easy way to cap em cause i have some extra hose :?

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 07:44 PM
runs good to me, bypassed the coolant and connected the inlet and outlet together with some hose, i hafta go to autozone tomorrow and get some plugs...

hope she will run strong

JiP
03-23-2003, 07:45 PM
ahahah I come home and this is what is on my away msg:

seth98es: hey man

Auto response from Im JiP: went to kmart with a ruskie

seth98es: no antifreeze leak this time
seth98es: but still 2k rpm idel https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif
seth98es: should i reset the ECU?
seth98es: i think i am going to sheesh im going to blow something up LOL
seth98es: whats the part # on teh tps
seth98es: ummm when the car is off

seth98es: if i pull on the tb cable and open the butterfly valve to WOT should antifreeze come out?
seth98es: cause it did not leak, untill i did that lol
seth98es: shoot me now
seth98es: come back come back lol
seth98es: i havent started it since
seth98es: ok, im goign back outy
seth98es: going to clean it up
seth98es: start it
seth98es: and if it leaks
seth98es: im going to push my galant off a cliff
seth98es: bah
seth98es: opened the butterfly valve w/o pulling on the cable and steam(i think) came out
seth98es: then i heard a lil sizze sound
seth98es: looks like its time to throw the 1g tb away and bolt back on the stock
seth98es: :-(

seth98es: duuuuuude
seth98es: what about the coolant bypass mod?

seth98es: does that cut off antifreeze to the tb?
seth98es: JiP JiP JiP JiP where can i re-route the antifreeze too?

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 07:47 PM
:lauging:

had to tell you cause i woulda forgot everything by the time you got back :wink:

ahhhh i think its all better now though...

JiP
03-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Ok 2 things here, the steam could be the coolant you were previously leaking burning off. Or it could mean you still have a leak.

Coolant by pass will not work for us ny folk with our 15 degree winters, but if you live in constant warmth above 40 you shouldnt have a problem with it. Just pull the 2 coolant lines off the tb, pick one of the lines and pull it off the water pipe, the other line plug it into the water pipe. Now the water will just flow into itself. Dont even really have to cap the TB hoses you can just leave it.

As for 2k rev, you have an air leak somewhere, I'm assuming you have the hoses connected at the top this time? The first time I did this mod a year ago I had the same problem and gave up. But when I redid It I examined the TB closesly. There are a few small little holes that are used to bypass air for the hoses at the top etc...just make sure you plug all the holes your not using from hoses at the top. There are 2 little tiny hols inside near where the butterfly opens on the tb I had. Take the BISS screw it all the way down...and completely fill both holes on the inside part, your not gona use the biss anyway, but even with it screwd down it lets tiny bit of air pass by.

Im disapointed your having so much trouble, I did my swap literally in 20 minutes, installed and drove. Never a problem since it was installed.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 07:57 PM
interesting, the coolant bypass obviously fixed the leak :wink: and i no longer have a 2k idle, i moved the slider bar back to the middle where it was stock(throttle cable is still tense) and i idle in neutral pretty normal.

did you notice a gain in performance? im not sure if i did or not...i need a gtech pro or something to measure with...

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 08:27 PM
i can get a 1g throttle body pretty easy and considering im turboing this 4g64 it sounds like it will be worth while...Jip i cant get your link to work..i need to see some good pics of what i need to do to make it fit the 7g

JiP
03-23-2003, 08:34 PM
i can get a 1g throttle body pretty easy and considering im turboing this 4g64 it sounds like it will be worth while...Jip i cant get your link to work..i need to see some good pics of what i need to do to make it fit the 7g

Ye brinkster sometime does maintence crap or too many people logging in and site doesnt show..just keep trying it.

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 08:37 PM
got the link working...DAMn did u use a lot of silicone...that doesnt sound like it would last very long...arent u worried about it going into the motor? whats up with the coffee can?

JiP
03-23-2003, 08:41 PM
got the link working...DAMn did u use a lot of silicone...that doesnt sound like it would last very long...arent u worried about it going into the motor? whats up with the coffee can?

nah jip dont worry till things explode, that stuff is pretty damn durable anyway.

And its a sauce can...I used a turbo TB so it didnt have a lip to conect the intake hose to, I had a 1g elbow, wich is way small, so I was like ok sauce can I had in the garbage was 60mm..and I just fabbed a lip lol. But the other day had absolutely nothing to do, so I took the 1g elbow and cut it close to the base where its wide, and bolts that onto the TB, and the air hose conects to that now. Opening is about 5mm smaler in fron then the base, but the buttmeter hasnt lost any feeling in response so I am satisfied.

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 08:49 PM
the 1g elbow is too small??? its not 60mm like the tb? couldnt u have just bought a bigger elbow for a 1g?

JiP
03-23-2003, 08:53 PM
the 1g elbow is too small??? its not 60mm like the tb? couldnt u have just bought a bigger elbow for a 1g?

The 1g tb starts at about 60mm and the tip goes down to like 1" Its made for a turbo. The 2g elbow is much larger, but I dont have a 2g elbow and I try to do as much as possible with the leastamount of money being spent. My 1g TB came with the 1g elbow, all for $20 bucks shipped, I work with what I have around me. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 08:54 PM
i can get a 1g tb for free!!!!so the 2 g elbow is better?? i need to look into finding one sure it bolts up?

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 08:56 PM
on the subject of the coolant...it only gets really cold aorund tennessee for a month or two in winter...what would the symtoms be if i bypassed the coolant passages?

JiP
03-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Major idle problems. See the coolant heats a plug in the IAC, when it heats or cools it allows more or less air to flow. It basically is a temperature controlled system so that you maintain the same idle and start up conditions through all weather.

I have no leaks at all with the way I did my swap using rtv. This is the second time I've done this and so far none of them have ever leaked.

Also, all the TB bolt right up. You have to make sure that the TB you get doesnt have the IAC casted so that its part o the TB and you cant remove it, Kain knows which years/model that TB came on. If you can get the NA version get it, then you dont need an eblow. If your geting a turbo version like mine, get a 2g elbow its much larger.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 09:25 PM
i got the 1g nt tb and it has the extension just like our stock tb...and if you do the coolant bypass mod will you really have to seal very much? besides that screw hold you dont use

really, this is an EASY mod, cept mine leaked :wink: id suggest using some RTV instead of JB Weld, maybe that was my problem, but after putting some gasket sealer on everything it did not really leak, untill i moved the butterfly valve manually while it was off, then it leaked a bit(have no clue why or how)

not sure how much you can port your intake mani to, but i would suggest in having it done, then buy a nice ported exhaust manifold from a 2g eclipse

JiP
03-23-2003, 09:30 PM
i got the 1g nt tb and it has the extension just like our stock tb...and if you do the coolant bypass mod will you really have to seal very much? besides that screw hold you dont use

You will have to plug the pipes where the coolant lines supsoed to go, you can just cap them off. Becuase as you know half the coolant chanel sits over the 4g64 IAC opening you'll be sucking in air from those tubes, which may not do anything at all, but remmber its not being filtered through your air filter...so better to cap it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Kain
03-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Just be sure you don't get a '89/'90 like I did. It won't work. The IAC and TB are a single unit.

seth98esT
03-23-2003, 09:33 PM
im still confused on how a laser in my town had a cyclone intake mani :lauging: i wish spring break was 2 weeks, then i would go take pics of that and the mirage...o well, i will have to wait till this weekend https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 09:51 PM
ohhhhh so a non turbo one is 60mm too??/ i know where a sonata is with a non turbo 4g63....is it worth getting it?

JiP
03-23-2003, 10:22 PM
dohc heads can share intakes. Cyclones are suposed to flow better, so he probably picked it up on ebay and bolted it on.

And Jiul yes it is worth getting anything every little bit helps https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 10:24 PM
the one off the sonata 4g63 N/T is a 60mm? and i wont have to make a sauce can? ill go get the thing tommorow if so..whats the problem with the passages on it??and what year model is it okay to get it off of

JiP
03-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Just be sure you don't get a '89/'90 like I did. It won't work. The IAC and TB are a single unit.

See Seth posted in another topic that 1g is 89-94, everything I've ever read about a 1g starts at 91. This might be part of the reason that 89,90 TB arent like the rest, its not really the 1g class of swapable parts..or somethin like that, I think everyone should stick to 91-94 items when it comes to 1g parts.

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 10:31 PM
i need to find out what year that sonata is then and if its 60mm

Kain
03-23-2003, 10:40 PM
i need to find out what year that sonata is then and if its 60mm

Or you could just measure it at the yard. I avoid Hyundai parts....cheap Korean made stuff.

4g64terror
03-23-2003, 10:41 PM
no dude the korean piece of shit has a 4g63 in it..its a mitsu motor with a hyundai valve cover