PDA

View Full Version : Proper way of cleaning surface of Block?

John165
02-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Block still in Car.

Like the title says, what is the Proper way of cleaning it?

I am going to pick up some disposable razors tomorrow. I already picked up some brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol, (some kind of paint remover pad) and lacquer thinner.

scampMoscow
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
vodka russian standart :D

dknight3
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
vodka russian standart :D

yeah thats what i do, about 6 shots then get to scrubbing.

Galant306m
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
wire wheel on a angle grinder works great! Thats what i did on mine and it came out good, except some people here who think we have Ferrari engines will tell you OMG NO DON'T DO THAT, when in fact its a iron block and you are not going to hurt it a bit.

PR8GG
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
yeah thats what i do, about 6 shots then get to scrubbing.

I do 8 shots, and dont have to scrub, tends to looks great!

John165
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Will sprite work? lol.

But seriously (downing sprite) the block is still in the car and not on a stand. It is due to changing a head gasket.

Do I plug every hole. (40 of them)? If I do, how do i scrub it with what and how with all the rags in the way?

What cleaner do I use?

John165
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM

John165
02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
wire wheel on a angle grinder works great! Thats what i did on mine and it came out good, except some people here who think we have Ferrari engines will tell you OMG NO DON'T DO THAT, when in fact its a iron block and you are not going to hurt it a bit.

Does this method apply when the block is still in the car? What about the junk flying from the wheel.

Covering the pistons isn't a problem.

Stewi
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Does this method apply when the block is still in the car? What about the junk flying from the wheel.

Covering the pistons isn't a problem.

I personally dont use a wire wheel because of the debris that can come off, I have heard of people doing it though, but be sure to use the very fine wire wheel, not the coarse one, the coarse one can cause damage. Me personally, I would ball up some clean rags and put them in the cylinders to prevent anything from getting in there, then I would just lightly sand down the block deck with 300-400 grit sand paper. Im not sure exactly whats on the deck surface of your block that your trying to remove, you might have to use a little bit of a lower grit if you have some nasty stuff on there. In regards to the oil passages and coolant passages, unless your sanding off a ton of debris and material, the amount that would get into those holes would be extremely minimal. That stuff would likely end up in the oil filter or bottom of the pan during your next oil change, your coolant system probably already has a fair amount of rust/debris in there from normal use, I wouldnt worry too much about it on a stock motor.

mrg7243
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
DO NOT USE A ANGLE GRINDER any mishap with it and you are going to need to take the block to a machine shope and have it decked, which you are obvioulsy trying not to do.

If you arent going to do it right please just take it to a shop.

All i used was some razors and scrapped all the gasket material off and anyhting esle i could. Then spray some sea foam spray let it sit, then took a scotch bright pad to it. You dont need to make the thing shine, just make sure there are no ridges or excess materials on it. You are just trying to smooth it out.

afterwards take a shop vac and clean up any debris the scotch bright pad left behind, then some carb cleaner to make sure you got it all off spray some down in the passaged to blow any derbis down and flush it with some oil to make sure all of it got into the oil pan, then drain it out.

Sleepervr-4
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I usually use razors to get of the big chunks then use a scotch pad by hand after. You can stuff rags in the cylinders like brian stated or do what I do and get a roll of paper towel to fill the cylinders. I usually fill the coolant system with water to flush out whatever got in there and do a oil change after I let the engine run for a while. Good luck and when filling the coolant try to have the front end up alittle to help get all the air out the coolant system.

01blackG
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Block still in Car.

Like the title says, what is the Proper way of cleaning it?

I am going to pick up some disposable razors tomorrow. I already picked up some brake cleaner, carb cleaner, alcohol, (some kind of paint remover pad) and lacquer thinner.

Some one should have asked what you are trying to accomplish? Clean and prep it for paint of just get grease off of it?

Sleepervr-4
02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Some one should have asked what you are trying to accomplish? Clean and prep it for paint of just get grease off of it?

He stated that he was changing the head gasket so he is trying to prep the block for the new head gasket I believe. Don't think he is trying to paint the block in the car.

deeznutz
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I usually use razors to get of the big chunks then use a scotch pad by hand after. You can stuff rags in the cylinders like brian stated or do what I do and get a roll of paper towel to fill the cylinders. I usually fill the coolant system with water to flush out whatever got in there and do a oil change after I let the engine run for a while. Good luck and when filling the coolant try to have the front end up alittle to help get all the air out the coolant system.

x2

Stewi
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
DO NOT USE A ANGLE GRINDER any mishap with it and you are going to need to take the block to a machine shope and have it decked, which you are obvioulsy trying not to do.

All i used was some razors and scrapped all the gasket material off and anyhting esle i could. Then spray some sea foam spray let it sit, then took a scotch bright pad to it. You dont need to make the thing shine, just make sure there are no ridges or excess materials on it. You are just trying to smooth it out.

afterwards take a shop vac and clean up any debris the scotch bright pad left behind, then some carb cleaner to make sure you got it all off spray some down in the passaged to blow any derbis down and flush it with some oil to make sure all of it got into the oil pan, then drain it out.

I left out the last part about flushing some clean oil thru it for one main reason, I didnt want him accidentally putting oil into a coolant passage and vice versa. Once the engine starts, everything will be pushed through, then you can drain/flush/fill.

01blackG
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
He stated that he was changing the head gasket so he is trying to prep the block for the new head gasket I believe. Don't think he is trying to paint the block in the car.

Oh sorry about that, I over looked the title. If he has a air drill or even a corded drill I would get the bit that has the round harded scotch pad that mechanics use. And while cleaning plug the cyl. with rags. Then blow clean before removing rags.

Galant306m
02-04-2011, 08:18 PM

I thought the engine was atleast on a stand either way if you are not stupid a angle grinder is a quick an easy way to get it all off with a wire wheel and of course use a fine wire wheel. Even with the block in the car you can still do it and it will only take a few mins if that over almost a hour to get it all off! I don't see how a angle grinder is bad when most people with general motor skills can control one!

Sent from my Grimproductions Samsung epic 4g of win

Galantman03
02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't see how a angle grinder is bad when most people with general motor skills can control one!

Sent from my Grimproductions Samsung epic 4g of win

I think when he mentioned this, he was seeing a grinding wheel going to the block, maybe he forgot that you can put wire brush on? Idk, I had an idiot cousin try a coffee filter and a rubber ban, for an air filter.. and by no means am I saying MRG is an idiot, no, he isn't, but sometimes somebody explains stuff, and the person getting the explanation doesn't really get it, or it doesn't click, and then thats when you have someone take a grinding stone to the block, to "clean it" lol, and we sure as hell don't need that now do we lol

John165
02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Well it seems that from everyone's replies, the razors and scotch brite pads is the top pick. So I am to first plug the cylinders with some rags then scrape as much junk off as I can with a razor then follow up with a scotch bright pad. Then use a vacuum to clean up all the loose junk and or blow it clean.

Out all of the replies only MRG said to use Carb cleaner afterwards to clean any remaing stuff. Good thing I got a new can when I picked up the brake cleaner.. So I am going to use carb cleaner after the scraping and scrubbing to clean any reamaing residue and junk that came off the surface of the block.

Well Im relieved with yalls answers about the junk going into the oil pan. And that if the junk were to be circulated the oil filter would catch it or it would be drained out during the oil change. So the good thing is, Im gonna buy me some good oil filters, probably PureOne's.with a bunch of oil to flush that stuff out. I figure 3 Oil changes ought to do it with good filters. I was thinking about using the cheap oil, AdvanceAutoOil then on my 4th oil change fill it with Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter or PureOne.

I feel confident I can get it done now lol. Now I can toss the sprite and get to work maybe tomorrow if weather permits cause the car is in the yard.

Tomorrow I will try and get a picture of the block, to show how dirty it is. I believe the “dirt” is from the old head gasket.

One more thing, where do I buy the scotch brite pad at? Foodlion??

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpfull.

Stewi
02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Well it seems that from everyone's replies, the razors and scotch brite pads is the top pick. So I am to first plug the cylinders with some rags then scrape as much junk off as I can with a razor then follow up with a scotch bright pad. Then use a vacuum to clean up all the loose junk and or blow it clean.

Out all of the replies only MRG said to use Carb cleaner afterwards to clean any remaing stuff. Good thing I got a new can when I picked up the brake cleaner.. So I am going to use carb cleaner after the scraping and scrubbing to clean any reamaing residue and junk that came off the surface of the block.

Well Im relieved with yalls answers about the junk going into the oil pan. And that if the junk were to be circulated the oil filter would catch it or it would be drained out during the oil change. So the good thing is, Im gonna buy me some good oil filters, probably PureOne's.with a bunch of oil to flush that stuff out. I figure 3 Oil changes ought to do it with good filters. I was thinking about using the cheap oil, AdvanceAutoOil then on my 4th oil change fill it with Valvoline Full Synthetic 5w30 with a Mobil 1 filter or PureOne.

I feel confident I can get it done now lol. Now I can toss the sprite and get to work maybe tomorrow if weather permits cause the car is in the yard.

Tomorrow I will try and get a picture of the block, to show how dirty it is. I believe the “dirt” is from the old head gasket.

One more thing, where do I buy the scotch brite pad at? Foodlion??

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpfull.

Most scotch brite your going to find at a grocery store is meant for cleaning ovens, pots and pans and will have some sort of cleaner on it or be too abrasive. Typically you can find automotive grade scotch brite pads at advance auto in the area where they have the bondo, spray paint and sand paper.

Just use the cheapest crap oil because your going to end up draining it about 5 minutes after you start the car back up for the first time. You can switch to full synthetic if you want, but regular oil will work perfectly fine, just use a good brand.

John165
02-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Most scotch brite your going to find at a grocery store is meant for cleaning ovens, pots and pans and will have some sort of cleaner on it or be too abrasive. Typically you can find automotive grade scotch brite pads at advance auto in the area where they have the bondo, spray paint and sand paper.

Just use the cheapest crap oil because your going to end up draining it about 5 minutes after you start the car back up for the first time. You can switch to full synthetic if you want, but regular oil will work perfectly fine, just use a good brand.

Thanks man. Tomorrow I was going to get some from the grocery store lol. I am going to look at advances site tonight for the scotch brite pad and get it at the same time as the oil because right now or atleast yesterday you could get $40 off $100 or more order. It requires a coupon code, only one works with motor oil. So yeah i hear ya on the cheap oil My regular oil is Castrol but I didn't want to use it for a quick run. So the cheapest advance has is the Havoline oil change or buying gallon's of advance oil with a coupon with some other things on the purchase of $100 or more with a coupon for $40 off. IF anyone doesn't know the code and would like I will share it via PM. Thanks again.

John165
02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Is either one of these the right one?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=scotch-brite+pad

John165
02-07-2011, 01:41 AM
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/John165/Pic0206008.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/John165/Pic0206007.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/John165/Pic0206006.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/John165/Pic0206005.jpg

Well what do yall think about the block? I forgot to take a before picture but it was pretty bad. The stuff I have been removing is the black stuff. I may still be able to remove a little more on the right side/

After I scrape some, I would vacuum it up. And I also used carb cleaner too and that helped out.

Im still wondering which scotch brite pad grade/brand to get from the autoparts store to finish up if needed.

mrg7243
02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=scotch+brite&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&wrapid=tlif129712025495810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12686352498234659303&ei=EHxQTbT4H4_0tgOL8uWOBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CHoQ8wIwBw#

that is what i used, looks like it is comeing along great. Though when you get the head back i would put the intake manfiodl on with the head off it is soo much eaiser to torqure down. though i have big hands its a pain for me to get back there

John165
02-08-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=scotch+brite&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&wrapid=tlif129712025495810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12686352498234659303&ei=EHxQTbT4H4_0tgOL8uWOBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CHoQ8wIwBw#

that is what i used, looks like it is comeing along great. Though when you get the head back i would put the intake manfiodl on with the head off it is soo much eaiser to torqure down. though i have big hands its a pain for me to get back there

Does this look like what you have? I went to Amazon and viewed a bigger picture of the pad and it seems to look just like it. Is light duty and Ultra Fine pads the same?
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n490/John165/Pic0208001.jpg

Its the only thing I could find at the time since I didnt know what to get and this was available at oriellys for about $2 for one pad. It says "Scotch-Brite Ultra Fine Type S"

I hope it is coming along good. Im now stuck where the old gasket stained the block. When you cleaned yours, did you remove the stain? Im assuming the pad removed it when you was using it.

But I hear ya on the intake. When I was unbolting it, it was a real tight fit but I was able to get a 3/8 ratchet back there and unbolt it. When I picked up the pad , I also picked up a 3/8 torque wrench, the same size as the ratchet I used to remove it. So I will see how that goes along. I believe it will work out but as you can see from the picture I havent even cleaned the intake yet but I will.

mrg7243
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I used three different types(but i am anal about that stuff) i started with the heavy green( i got it at the supermarket) then the medium brown(i had one laying around i have seen them in the dishwashing section of the supermarket also) then i went to a fine like what you have. You could start with a fine but you are going to be scrubbing for some time. Let me see if i can dig up some picts when i did mine, but i belive i got rid of most of the stain.

For the intake just spray some carb cleaner up the runner and take a paper towl or shop rag and clean it till you see fit.

mrg7243
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/mrg7243/Galant/0518102225a.jpg

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/mrg7243/Galant/0518102224a.jpg

This is the only two pictures i have i belive this was around halfway through, but from what i can remeber i had my pratty stain free cept for like 2 spots.