PDA

View Full Version : Is our MAS restrictive?

Gilhuly
03-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Well we have all seen that producing hp gains on our cars with headers isn't happening for the most part or are disappointing. Intakes have a moderate effect. Bored throttle bodies (2 mm) not much. Cam shafts seem to offer some real possibilities and there is some conjecture that the heads in stock form may be restrictive.

So here's a question that may be silly, but I've never heard it addressed directly and itis something that should be known/analyzed. How much CFm can the MAS flow vs the TB vs the heads vs the exhaust. I was looking at my MAS while doing some maintenance and cleaning today and was looking through the MAS wondering if that is restrictive at all for N/A engines. Any input from RIPP or RPW on this issue or from anyone else would be appreciated.

Auto-9
03-23-2003, 12:46 AM
I think Mitsiman came to the conclusion that the engine block itself was a major restrictive factor. I don't think the MAS would be too much at fault, otherwise how would CAIs work once you upgrade your intake? You're still retaining use of the factory equipment. But I dunno how much it flows...

Gilhuly
03-23-2003, 08:51 AM
OK, that's kinda the question - What gains are seen and verifyable on an intake only that retains the MAS. I am actually zeroing in on those same comments from Dave at RPW where he is also basically guessing on process of elimination. Port n polish the heads might make a big difference, but I think most of the RIPP SC applications are using stock heads. Does the SC utilize the MAS? Then there is the ECU which there is plenty of evidence to suggest that a good unichip/RIPP Black box for N/A cars could actually be the key. There is at least one point of resistance to higher HP and as I look across all the things that are being done successfully, they tend to be using a stand alone engine mgmt set up or at least a sophisticated piggy back setup. Anybody else Thanks Rallifan

Auto-9
03-23-2003, 10:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK, that's kinda the question - What gains are seen and verifyable on an intake only that retains the MAS.</div>

AEM pulled about 2 to 3 whp out of their cold air induction kit on the Eclipse, up to 9-11 whp on their RSX. I don't know if that was the info you're looking for but at least we can clearly see Honda breathes better than the Mitsubishi design.

D03GTZ
03-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Thats because Honda has been the leading company in engine design for the last 10 years. They seem to spend more money on new designs that work better for just more than one application. Thats partly why the Accord and Civic have been top in sales for so long. They are reliable to every extent, they have great gas mileage, and great power for the size motors they use, and have no problem passing emissions. One of the best companies out there if you ask me. I just cant see myself getting a car that everybody else has!

Auto-9
03-23-2003, 03:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just cant see myself getting a car that everybody else has!</div>

Yeah that's what kept us from buying Toyota and Honda, so we went Mitsubishi and Nissan instead. Of course my parents have sworn off on all Mitsubishi vehicles now...but hey I'm the one driving it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Gilhuly
03-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Yes, Ralli, that's exactly the type of info I'm talking about. I have a sneaking suspicion that ported heads would do wonders for this car. I am seriously thinking about doing a DIY Port n polish and have a 3 angle valve grind and see what that does for it. I am going to ask some more questions, though, because I still have my Cali ECU as a prime suspect as well.

Auto-9
03-23-2003, 09:30 PM
I am going to ask some more questions, though, because I still have my Cali ECU as a prime suspect as well.

Speaking of asking questions about Cali vehicles, there are about 23 of us in Houston that are taking this issue to court/Mitsubishi, starting with the dealership first of course. Don't want to by-pass the chain of command now do we. If you're in Houston feel free to join in. You will need dyno numbers on paper though.