PDA

View Full Version : tire "skips" during hard left turns.

4g63lover
02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I am having this issue with the Galant when I am making a hard left hand turn.

Some background on when it started. A few weeks ago, I had to drive the car with some temporary tires on the front because of the weather. The KD's were trying to kill me and I cant afford to buy a set of winter tires ATM.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/4g63lover/baby%20g/PIC-0070.jpg

Anyways, the next day after I put the two temp wheels on, when the car took a hard left turn the right side tire felt like it was skipping. It's not a clunk, it doesn't sound like suspension or mechanical noise. It feels and sounds like the tire is "skipping" on the pavement.

I put the GS-T wheels back on yesterday and took her for a drive and it still skipped on hard left turns. I checked the ball joints and they are good. I also checked the tie-rod ends and the right side has a little bit of play.

Has anyone experienced this before? And could the tie-rod with only a little bit of play make the same noise? It only happens during HARD LEFT TURNS. She drives and tracks smooth during hard right hand turns and when going straight.

galantlvr34
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
did you check the wheel bearing for play?

4g63lover
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
It could might as well be that because like I said, the right side has a little bit of play. Though, I couldnt see if it is the tie rod or the wheel bearing moving. Though, if the wheel bearing had play, it should move both in and out and side to side. It is only moving side to side.

polishmafia
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
It could might as well be that because like I said, the right side has a little bit of play. Though, I couldnt see if it is the tie rod or the wheel bearing moving. Though, if the wheel bearing had play, it should move both in and out and side to side. It is only moving side to side.

Wheel bearings are difficult to diagnose on our cars (unless they are very bad) because without the weight of the car on them, they don't tend to move much.

If the wheel is only moving side to side, you have a bad inner or outer tie rod. Super simple to replace. It is critical to make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

I don't know if I would put the blame on the tie rod for the skipping. It sounds like a tire issue. Tread separation, feathering, cupping, etc.

polishmafia
02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Also... why were your KDs trying to kill you like you said? Were they worn funny? Edge wear? It sounds like it could be an alignment issue... Not so much the toe (because of the tie rod) but possibly from the camber or caster.

keith6110
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Might not sound mechanical, but try finding and open lot and go around in circles on a left turn. If it seems like it "skips" in one spot at every time you get to a certain point in your circle. Let us know the results.

RedGalant2k1
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Stiff suspension, mine does it all the time when I corner :)

4g63lover
02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Wheel bearings are difficult to diagnose on our cars (unless they are very bad) because without the weight of the car on them, they don't tend to move much.

If the wheel is only moving side to side, you have a bad inner or outer tie rod. Super simple to replace. It is critical to make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

I don't know if I would put the blame on the tie rod for the skipping. It sounds like a tire issue. Tread separation, feathering, cupping, etc.

The tire is pretty camber worn. What confuses me is it didnt skip before I put the temp wheels on, then after I removed the temp wheels, the KD's are doing it too. And it only does it turning a hard left going above 20 mph. If I go slow it doesnt do it. And tight right hand turns it doesnt do it either.

Also... why were your KDs trying to kill you like you said? Were they worn funny? Edge wear? It sounds like it could be an alignment issue... Not so much the toe (because of the tie rod) but possibly from the camber or caster.

I meant in the snow. lol. The KD's like to understeer towards curbs.

AVERAGE
02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Different tire compounds between the front and rear? You are running 2 different brands between the front and back,right?

Stewi
02-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Jigz how do your swaybar endlinks and bushings look? Chance any of that stuff is binding?

4g63lover
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Jigz how do your swaybar endlinks and bushings look? Chance any of that stuff is binding?

The suspension bushings are 175k old and the swaybar links were replaced when I got the coilovers 30k ago. I am gonna go check them out sometime next week. The sway bar bushings are pretty bad though. It's been too cold out to do a real suspension inspection.

4g63lover
02-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Different tire compounds between the front and rear? You are running 2 different brands between the front and back,right?

I'm running the same brand BFG's, same size as well. The fronts are KD's and the rears are KDW's.

Stewi
02-12-2011, 09:11 AM
The suspension bushings are 175k old and the swaybar links were replaced when I got the coilovers 30k ago. I am gonna go check them out sometime next week. The sway bar bushings are pretty bad though. It's been too cold out to do a real suspension inspection.

I would check that out for sure., I know when I had my end links adjusted wrong, I had that problem. Maybe if the bushings are totally gone the bar might be binding causing it to be too stiff.

4g63lover
02-12-2011, 11:42 AM
yeah that makes a lot of sense. Thanks Brian.

4g63lover
02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Got under the car and inspected it some. The play on the right side is coming from the wheel bearing. Wierd though, because the wheel bearing wheel only move at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and not the 6 o'clock 12 o'clock positions.

4g63lover
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
replaced the wheel hub assembly and bearing. The issue is now gone! Thank god, I can drive "spiritedly" again. Just in time for cruising season!