PDA

View Full Version : please help on wiring neons

gost2002es
03-23-2003, 10:14 AM
im an idiot and i know nothing about wiring but i wanna wire neons to my car and i think if someone just helps me i could do it so pleassse somone help a boring car turn into a fierce neon breathing beast >:D

Khopari
03-23-2003, 04:29 PM
umm hook it up to your,, cig lighter,,,

peanotation
03-23-2003, 04:30 PM
u wanna wire neons.....underbody neons or inside cabin?

gost2002es
03-23-2003, 04:57 PM
inside cabin and i dont want it in my cig lighter, heh. :shock:

Dilemma
03-23-2003, 07:19 PM
well u gotta disassemble the cig adapter and the the ground and power line and find a power source which you want to use. Depends...do you wanna make a switch? Please be specific.

peanotation
03-23-2003, 07:24 PM
well...u have to get a hold of a 12v power supply inside the car, and the ground is no problem. if ur rigging this up to a switch, run the + and - feed into the switch, and then the + feed from the switch into the neons. when i had inside cabin lights, i hooked the positive cable into one of the positive cables for the a/c control button lights. when u turn on the parking or headlights, it sends a signal through the cables and light up all the interior lights. so that in turn turns on the neons inside the car.

Strahan
03-23-2003, 08:30 PM
If you have no idea what you're doing and no experience with wiring, you may want to just go to a stereo shop and pay them $20 or so to install them. Chopping your under dash wiring up isn't a good place to learn or make mistakes https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

peanotation
03-23-2003, 11:39 PM
If you have no idea what you're doing and no experience with wiring, you may want to just go to a stereo shop and pay them $20 or so to install them. Chopping your under dash wiring up isn't a good place to learn or make mistakes https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

yes....

Jeff
03-24-2003, 11:34 AM
I had no experience when I started this...but I do now. I have 2 lighted switches controlling 2 6" tubes under my seats and 2 nozzle LED's in my vents. I used the power and ground cables from the wiring harness to my stereo...make sure you use the harness that is closest to the firewall, so if you switch head units you don't have to redo it. I'm putting in a new head unit this week so I'll find out what wires are what and let you know.

to wire neons to a switch, just connect the 12V power line from the line you tapped at the wiring harness to the "power" connection on the switch. connect the ground wire from your accessory to the ground wire from the wiring harness...make sure it's a good connection or your lights won't work. then connect the ground line the "ground" connection on the switch. the easiest way to do this is to twist the 2 ground wires together and put a female connector on that...which is what you need to connect to the switch. then just use another female connector and throw it on the end of the power wire coming from your accessory....plug it into the "ACC" connection on the switch. then, just try it out...if you did it right, when the neons are on, the switch will be on. when the lights are off, the switch won't be lit up. if you use the power and ground from the CD player, it's constant...you won't have to have your car on to turn on the lights. Good luck, but don't blame me if it doesn't work...it worked for me.

Fishboy55
03-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Jeff, You didn't include an in-line fuse. So if the neons should short out, which is possible, they are likely to fry your head unit too. Also, piggybacking off ANY accessory is not a wise idea just for that reason. The best bet is to go straight to the fusebox and tap a constant power supply off the input there and to add an inline fuse. That's safest, but like Ken said, for people with no wiring or electronics experience the best bet is to pay the $20 and have it done professionally. That way if something goes wrong, you have someone to come back to. Just my .02.

Jeff
03-24-2003, 12:29 PM
thanks chip...looks like i'm gonna be doing more than just installing my CD player tommorrow after work. wiring to the fuse box is something i'm not familiar with. will I catch onto it pretty quick by looking at it or do you have any advice for me...i like having it constantly powered so I can leave my neons on when the keys aren't in it, so what fuse do you recommend me tapping? Or, can i just throw an in-line fuse onto the power line from the player?

Fishboy55
03-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Well, the easiest way is to get this thing I saw at the Autozone that lets you tap into an existing fuse then add an additional fuse to what you're tapping. I didn't buy one because I didn't know if it would fit in our cramped fusebox.

If you don't get that, find a fuse that has constant power, like the headlights. Put a fuse in the 12v line of your neons, then take that wire and you can do one of two things at this point. Either put the wire into where the fuse connects (kinda shove it in so the fuse holds it while making contact). This is the easy (lazy) way. Or go to the BACK side of the fuse box, find the wire that the feed wire for the fuse you're tapping into, then tap into that feed wire. That's how my neons are wired. As with any electrical work, I highly recommend a volt meter so you can figure out exactly what you're doing.

Jeff
03-24-2003, 12:53 PM
thanks again...i have a voltmeter and an electrician brother...so i'll get him to help me out.