PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air VS Short Ram Intakes... help?

tr1kst4nce
02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
I live in Indianapolis, so we get cold winters with snow and all that, and summers are hot and humid. Someone mentioned to me that in the summer you should run a CAI because of where it will pick up the air from under the car and it will be cooler from the hot weather. And then to use a short ram during the winter which will get air thats warmer than the cold weather and wont pick up much from snow.

For some reason... using 2 different intakes on the same car just because of weather didn't sound right. So I'm curious as to what everyone else does and especially in the same region with the same kind of weather?

Also... what brands are being used that give the best performance/sound and last the longest in comparison to the CAI and the SR?

Cbananas
02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
As far as the weather part goes, no matter what the weather is, it will still be hot as hell under the hood when the car is all warmed up. I just use a short ram all year round for now. Might convert it to CAI eventually. I live in IL.

galantlvr34
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
i would just get a short ram intake,they told you not to use a cold air intake in the winter or even rain because they will pull moisture into the motor.the short ram is your best bet.

tr1kst4nce
02-13-2011, 11:49 PM
i would just get a short ram intake,they told you not to use a cold air intake in the winter or even rain because they will pull moisture into the motor.the short ram is your best bet.

Right but the guy said that the CAI's, you can get filters that don't obstruct air flow but will keep out moisture and particles. Whether this is true or how well it will work... I dunno.

But I've heard you get better HP and even sound from the CAI's than you do the short rams.

tr1kst4nce
02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Really though... how likely is it for a CAI to pick up water off the road when driving in the rain or snow?

Cbananas
02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Short ram is louder and safer, but CAI will net a little more hp gain.

tr1kst4nce
02-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Short ram is louder and safer, but CAI will net a little more hp gain.

Looks also like from pictures I've seen... short ram is easier to install.

Best brands to use? AEM? Injen? Secret Weapon? What?

tr1kst4nce
02-14-2011, 12:00 AM
I was reading that with short rams, they don't do much justice unless it's pulling the air in from outside the engine bay like on a hood scoop or something. Because where the air is coming in is essentially the same location as stock. Not sure whether or not this is all true.

Cbananas
02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
You wont really notice a difference with a short ram in terms of power. They sound nice, but without a hood scoop, or other means of getting cold air to it, you don't gain much, if any power.

galantlvr34
02-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I was reading that with short rams, they don't do much justice unless it's pulling the air in from outside the engine bay like on a hood scoop or something. Because where the air is coming in is essentially the same location as stock. Not sure whether or not this is all true.

you would still see improvements without a scoop.

tr1kst4nce
02-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Well... I was thinking with a short ram intake, and a nice Magnaflow muffler, the combination of the 2 should make for a nice sound yeah?

And since I have the 2.4L on my 2005 I should get an intake that fits a 2006 Eclipse 2.4L right?

What are the best brands to use. From what I've read, Injen?

galantlvr34
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Well... I was thinking with a short ram intake, and a nice Magnaflow muffler, the combination of the 2 should make for a nice sound yeah?

And since I have the 2.4L on my 2005 I should get an intake that fits a 2006 Eclipse 2.4L right?

What are the best brands to use. From what I've read, Injen?

yeah that would make a nice sound.i think they make them for the galant.is your car a mivec?if it is i found one for you it is a weapon r made for the galant.

tr1kst4nce
02-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Yes, mine is a Mivec. Actually I was just looking at the Weapon-R Secret Weapon intakes and reading about them. Pretty interesting actually... thinking that when I buy I might go with that one over an Injen.

Secret Weapon - http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=317

Also, read these tests they did on it. http://www.mimousa.com/weapon-r-secret-weapon.htm

Even science seems to prove it's overall a better intake. Decisions Decisions.

galantlvr34
02-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, mine is a Mivec. Actually I was just looking at the Weapon-R Secret Weapon intakes and reading about them. Pretty interesting actually... thinking that when I buy I might go with that one over an Injen.

Secret Weapon - http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?act=view_product&id=317

Also, read these tests they did on it. http://www.mimousa.com/weapon-r-secret-weapon.htm

Even science seems to prove it's overall a better intake. Decisions Decisions.

i found it cheaper then that.
http://www.carid.com/2005-mitsubishi-galant-air-intakes/weapon-r-air-intake-119381.html

tr1kst4nce
02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
i found it cheaper then that.
http://www.carid.com/2005-mitsubishi-galant-air-intakes/weapon-r-air-intake-119381.html

Oh I wasn't checking price just yet, I was just looking at the source ya know? :p But thanks. Come spring I'll probably put one on and get a Magnaflow muffler. The combo should kick some tail. I'll be sure to make a video or audio for it to share. Got lots of other mods to do once it warms up a bit. But first, sound in the next 2 weeks or so.

galantlvr34
02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Oh I wasn't checking price just yet, I was just looking at the source ya know? :p But thanks. Come spring I'll probably put one on and get a Magnaflow muffler. The combo should kick some tail. I'll be sure to make a video or audio for it to share. Got lots of other mods to do once it warms up a bit. But first, sound in the next 2 weeks or so.

what magnaflow muffler are you going to use?

tr1kst4nce
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
what magnaflow muffler are you going to use?

Probably one of the street series ones. But I need to get under my G and take some measurements and all that to see which one would fit best.

cyuenchon
05-13-2011, 05:45 AM
I have an '07 2.4, I'm using a Fujita CIA, its loud....and you'd be amazed at how much water/moisture you pick up from the road, I live in Florida where the weather is unpredistable. I had to cut my intake in half. With eveything assembled, the CIA is very noticeable... just the sound of suction... when converted to SRI, you dont here it..what you do hear is a chirp when the transmission switches gear.

echo12
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I have a 3.8L non-Mivec with the 2 piece Fujita CAI.
My car is in Orlando.

Love the sound, the response and whistle.
It's just amazing. And the price (back when I got it) was fair. I'm sure it still is.
As for what I've read, Fujita CAI will give you more hp compared to Injen or Weapon-R. That's w/o taking into consideration the Weapon R's running lean/rich issue i read from some one round here.

I say just go w what ppl know works. U want reliability over anything else.
That's my 2 cents.

9Ggts
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Import tuner magazine did tests on cai and sri and cai had a a 3 hp gain over sri.

03-Galant-ES
05-18-2011, 09:41 AM
SRI is much more reasonable on normal days. The chance of a CAI sucking up water is very low unless you drive through puddles that are bumper height. On our engines you may get .5-1.5 hp more out of the CAI, but it is so negligible that you will not notice anything. I use a SRI with a heat shield to the engine heat s the air is as cool as it's gonna be.

carl3g
05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
SRI is much more reasonable on normal days. The chance of a CAI sucking up water is very low unless you drive through puddles that are bumper height. On our engines you may get .5-1.5 hp more out of the CAI, but it is so negligible that you will not notice anything. I use a SRI with a heat shield to the engine heat s the air is as cool as it's gonna be.

Steve is pretty much dead on. Horse power will go up but nothing noticable. You might hear the intake and think your faster/more powerfull but nope, its just the sound.

On the off chance that you do suck up water and your engine hydrolocks, dont try cranking it right away. Drain all the oil which should have water.