PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Support

twisted_galant
02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Well I have seen a few people asking about this on various posts so I thought I would throw my 2 cents in and write a tuturial. Most of us seem to have problems with extra weight and our trunklids, myself I added a spoiler, and my fiancee keeps closing the trunk way to hard... so it was time to slow it down.

THIS IS MEANT AS A GUIDE ONLY! I ACCEPT NO RESPOSIBILITY TO DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR VEHICLE. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT YOUR ABILITY TO COMPLETE THIS PROJECT PLEASE CONSULT A PROFFESIONAL TECHNICIAN.

Materials

Rivets x4
elbow brackets x2
springs x2 I used motormite p/n 29007 comes in a twin pack
various tools; rivet gun, pliers, drill and drill bits, marker, center punch, hammer

1. mark the location of your brackets
2. center punch and drill the holes in the lower rear window support for the correct size for your rivets.
3. mount your brackets
4. drill a hole through both sides of the trunk lid hinges slightly larger than the diameter of your spring
5. bend the long piece of the string to go through the hinges and hook the shorter end to the mounted brackets.
6. bend a piece of the spring going through the hinge to hold the spring in place.

I don't know if these springs would be strong enough to lift the trunk lid without the torsion bars in place, but I am sure stronger springs are available. Here are a couple pictures of how my install turned out.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/twisted_galant/100_0268.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/twisted_galant/100_0267.jpg

Roamingrican
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Great write up! my trunk keeps falling on my head because of the added weight of my dynamat. I will be doing this shortly. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewi
02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
nice write up. I might try this for my CF trunk since I never got around to fabbing up anything else I wanted to do. It sucks to not have much time for my car anymore.

DTP
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Keith fabbed something up using Pontiac G6 trunk shocks at one point to replace the torsion bars

javi
02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
my trunk fell off thanks alot

jk