PDA

View Full Version : Spacers

Redhaze
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I searched but came up with nothing. What is the highest Spacer i can run on my G before having to extend my Studs would it be 5mm or 3mm.. for safety issure i also well prolly invest in some ET Lug nuts. I got a little rub on my front strut tower

rr2swift
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
you can get spacers that have another set of studs on them.

Redhaze
02-16-2011, 11:26 PM
you can get spacers that have another set of studs on them.

Those are to big only come in 10mm and higher dont my fronts sticking out that much just need a little clearance

rr2swift
02-16-2011, 11:34 PM
they sell thiner ones at pepboys or auto zone. they r alot thinner if thats all u need.

Redhaze
02-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I know this lol im just asking how thick can i go until i have to get extended Studs i dont wanna be driving and watch my rim go rolling past me

rr2swift
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
i think if you go any wider than the spacrs they sale at pepbys then you have to step up to the other type, you really want as many threads as you can to be on the safe side.

rr2swift
02-16-2011, 11:47 PM
stock is i think 1 inch of thread and you should be OK with at the least half inch but again u really need as much lug stud contact as possible.

Redhaze
02-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Blah this is tiring i looked up other model cars running spacers with no problem 5x114.3 and there studs are alot shorter then our galants which are 45mm i believe most other cares i saw where like 42/41mm long and... alot of kits ive asked around about come with extended studs 45mm. if anyone is running a 5mm spacer please help me out thanks

Stewi
02-17-2011, 08:27 AM
My opinion is that anything over 5mm you want extended studs. When you buy the spacers, spend the extra cash and buy the hub-centric spacers made from Ichiba, they sell them on ebay, its the same size as the ones for EVO's.

oakrdrs187
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
When you buy the spacers, spend the extra cash and buy the hub-centric spacers made from Ichiba, they sell them on ebay, its the same size as the ones for EVO's.

Hub-Centric FTW. Otherwise your shit's gonna shake like a motha..

Redhaze
02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
So the highest i should go on stock studs is 5mm hub centric. and ill probably invest in some ET lugs as well. Am i correct?

Stewi
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
So the highest i should go on stock studs is 5mm hub centric. and ill probably invest in some ET lugs as well. Am i correct?

The highest I would recommend is 5mm. Any spacer you get should be hubcentric. Typically if you go to like a 20mm spacer or so, they will have studs built in and special lug nuts to hold the spacer to the stock studs, or you can install extended studs and use slide-on hub centric spacers. Im not sure what ET lugs mean?

Redhaze
02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
extended studs wheel be on my list of things to do i would do it my self but im not sure if ill be able to compress the new stud back into the hub.

ET lug nuts are like this
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/hubconv/hub-6.htm

The threads extend threw the rim for extra contact on the stud you have to have Rims that are able to use ET lug nuts tho

Redhaze
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Sorry for the double post just doing my Homework. and future notes for anyone who searches for this topic

Our cars have 12mmx 1.5 lug nuts. so to 1.5 inches mm that means 38.1 mm of the lug nut needs to be on contact to the stud so with a 5mm spacer and a stock stud 45mm that would give me 40mm so i should be in good shape with a 5mm spacer.

And a added bonus ill be using ET lug nuts which extend 8.3mm from the acorn seat of the rim

01blackG
02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Ok hear is an answer / help to your question.

As for thread requirement - The max thread needed to get the max holding strength is 1 1/2 times the diameter of the studs. That is how far down you would need to screw the lugs. But that is only based on a straight pull of the wheel off of the hub.

As for placing spacers onto the stock lugs. I would not do it because the lugs steel type is designed for a certian shear strength and the further the rim goes away from the hub the higher the actual shear being applied to the lugs goes up.

Best things to do is get a set of rims that already has the offset to them. That way you dont need spacers and it will be the strongest the connection will get with going non stock size rims.

Check with RedGalant2k1
He knows alot about rims and such.

Stewi
02-19-2011, 02:18 AM
I'll also add to that, in your post above you were mentioning the studs being 12mm x 1.5, that doesnt mean what you think it means.

12mm is the diameter of the stud and 1.5 is the thread pitch, not the stud length. Use your noggin' why would they give the first measurement in millimeters and the second in inches? : )

Redhaze
02-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Alright so how hard is it to install new extended studs. Or how much do mechanics usually charge to install them

im only scared that i wont be able to compress them back into the hub

mrg7243
02-19-2011, 01:07 PM
http://www.ehow.com/video_2328000_replace-wheel-studs.html

Watch this video, that really all thats to it

underated
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
like stewi said you can run 5mm no problem on stock studs... with that said i just moved up to 10mm all around so i have my old set of ichiba 5mm spacers and 45mm extended studs if your interested pm me

Redhaze
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
dang lil late i just bought spacers like a week ago