PDA

View Full Version : Install AEM oil pressure gauge?

Gtorque
02-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I want to install a AEM oil pressure gauge on my 8g but not sure how to do it correctly. Do I have to install it on the back of the block? Also i not sure if it will thread right in. Would I have to get some kind of adaptor?

Any info would help..Thanks

Gtorque
02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
The oil pressure sensor provided with the AEM kits thread is 1/8NPT. Does anyone know what size threading are stock oil pressure sender is on the 8g? This is the sensor on the back of the block. The AEM sensors threads look like is just one size to big.

If anyone can help that would be great

Gtorque
02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I found the adaptor for those of you interested in using this gauge and using it in the same oil pressure sender location.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto%20Meter/105/2269/10002/-1?CT=999

qnz
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
i used an oil filter sandwich adapter to get my pressure readings.

Since you have an evo oil filter housing, doesnt it have ports to fit the sender? I know thats where DSMs get their pressure readings from

xd_01
02-25-2011, 03:32 AM
he would still need a 3/8 bspt x 1/8npt bushing to use those ports on the filter housing, 42 Draft sells them.

Gtorque
03-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Yes im aware of the housing.ill end up getting a oil temp gauge aswell and then swapping the pressure gauge to that housing your talking about

Stewi
03-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes im aware of the housing.ill end up getting a oil temp gauge aswell and then swapping the pressure gauge to that housing your talking about

Whatever you end up doing, your best bet is to mount the oil pressure sensor to something solid and feed the sensor with oil via a stainless hose. Once you install that adapter, then the sending unit itself, you have a fair amount of weight hanging sideways off a small fitting, a few hard launches, or enough vibration and that thing breaks off, oil is gonna be spraying in your all over your engine bay. Just get some 1/8NPT to -4AN adaptor fittings and mount the sensor itself somewhere else. I have my sensor mounted in cushion clamps on my tranny since I feed mine from head, you could do the same but mount it under the intake manifold or even on the body of the car near where the cruise control module went.

Gtorque
03-02-2011, 07:20 AM
^Thats a good point.. I installed it right under my intake manifold. The adaptor seems to be pretty strong and threaded in to the motor a good amount.Then I added the sensor onto it with thread seal on both ends. I dont that that sensor is all that heavy for the adaptor it felt good when it was all tightened and done with. Then I have the wires running through the fire wall by a close location that way there wont be any pull or tugging. Do you think this might be alright?

Stewi
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Its all about longevity. It might be OK for a long time, but the thought that it could break off and cost you the motor, its a bit frightening. It wont be hard to relocate it when your ready, but do it sooner than later.

Gtorque
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Okay then.. Your right