PDA

View Full Version : 1999 galant 2.4 F4a42 trans 2-3 flare 3-4 flare

Brenthill
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
This vehicle originally had 2-3 flare only-all other gears work fine. Overhauled transmission-no clutch damage at all, completely resealed trans-did find o-ring on filter was pinched and pushed out, also the seal for the second clutch-that is under valve body was "rough", double checked all clearances-ok. Checked rear cover closely-looks ok and air tested fine on the bench. Replaced valve body also. Installed using Diamond SP fluid-now it still has 2-3 flare plus 3-4 flare, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brenthill
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Ok, I found that the vehicle had to be driven roughly 10 miles for the TCM to re-learn shift points-from a stop accelerate slowly through all 4 gears roughly five times, then half throttle and then full throttle-it shifts great now!

oakrdrs187
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok, I found that the vehicle had to be driven roughly 10 miles for the TCM to re-learn shift points-from a stop accelerate slowly through all 4 gears roughly five times, then half throttle and then full throttle-it shifts great now!

Yep it may do it from time to time for a week, it's adjusting to shift points and how you drive.

Brenthill
02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Do you know of a way to pull codes from the TCM on this vehicle? I am told you have to use a Mitsubishi scanner-is this true? I have a Snap-On that communicates with the PCM ok but thats it. Thanks for any help you offer oakrdrs187!

oakrdrs187
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I would try the snap-on, cant hurt.... is there CEL?

Brenthill
02-25-2011, 07:39 AM
There is a CEL but it's not on....the Snap-on wont work for the TCM. From what I can gather on some models you can ground pin no.1 in the OBD2 connector and watch the
"neutral" indicator on the instrument cluster for a flash-out code but this particular vehicle
doesn't have the PRNDL in the i.c., its on the shifter.....just trying to be prepared for future vehicles I'll be working on-thanks!