PDA

View Full Version : Gate Shifter?

pcriso2
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
So, I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while..but has anyone thought of doing a gate shifter swap on the autos? From what I've researched, I haven't found any similar cars that have a gate assembly that could easily be swapped, unless someone else knows otherwise..

If you don't get what I'm saying, it's similar to this thread:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/6th-generation-honda-accord-1998-2002/66537-tl-cl-maybe-prelude-shifter-mod-diy.html

I think it would look pretty cool, if only I could find an assembly that swaps easily

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm not too good on trans info, so if this is a stupid question bare with me. If you did that would you have to get a new trans? Because if you found a way to do that make sure you make a tut thread, I want to do that and my trans is unfortunately going out.

On a side note this could just be the stupidity of wikipedia but it said that the three stock choices of trans were the 4-speed automatic 5-speed manual, and 5-speed semi-automatic. so if that's the case then does that mean you could just completely swap it out?

pcriso2
02-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I believe the 5 speed semi-auto's were only available in JDM and EUDM markets. For this though, I wanted to see if anyone knew of a shift assembly that would swap out with little or no mods. If I were to swap the entire transmission, I'd go for the 5-speed swap.

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
So just swapping out the shifter could make it a manumatic?

DTP
02-26-2011, 04:49 PM
The semi-autos were JDM I believe. A few DEs came with a five speed, although rare.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
The semi-autos were JDM I believe. A few DEs came with a five speed, although rare.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome

5-speed semi-auto?

pcriso2
02-26-2011, 05:34 PM
no, 5 speed manual. the semi-autos are equivalent to tiptronic and no, swapping the shifter will not make it manumatic..unless you make a custom wiring harness to the ecu to tell it when to shift gears, if its even possible

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 06:00 PM
So then what's the reason for what you're doing?

pcriso2
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
It's purely aesthetic, I prefer the looks of a gate shifter over our current ones

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Ohhhh. Okay. Somebody Really needs to look into a custom wiring harness for that though.

bobmundo123
02-26-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't like that they covered the knob in the link.. but thats a cool idea.. i'd def rock that.. or tiptronic

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I'd flip for a manumatic. I drove my buddy's Charger with one in it. That shit is so cash.

wetamup2k3g
02-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I'd flip for a manumatic. I drove my buddy's Charger with one in it. That shit is so cash.

Hope its better than the manumatic I had in my rental Saturn Aura (same as Chevy Malibu) that one could never get right. It had this horrible kick every time it shifted that wasn't there in auto mode.

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Hope its better than the manumatic I had in my rental Saturn Aura (same as Chevy Malibu) that one could never get right. It had this horrible kick every time it shifted that wasn't there in auto mode.

I think that the key word in that statement would have to be rental lol
I think what really sold me on his manumatic was, we were in the in a parking lot covered in ice. and it was a RWD Charger so we just put it the manual mode took it down to first and just drifted for days. that was crazy.

wetamup2k3g
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I think that the key word in that statement would have to be rental lol

No doubt, but other than that it rode ok, but all I wanted was my G back.

ichbindasgehirn
02-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I just really want to do the 5-speed swap because my trans right now is shifting really hard.