PDA

View Full Version : 9g 5 speed?

boss102372
02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
I know the 9g does not come with a 5speed but does any other car have a tranny that bolts up to the engine so I can covert to a 5 speed?

FirstWHIP9gen
02-26-2011, 11:37 PM
i think the eclipse tranny bolts right up to it

SPD_FRK
02-26-2011, 11:41 PM
3rd gen Eclipse Trans, 4th Gen Eclipse trans, both will bolt right up. The question though is how to address the ECU issues when converting to the Manual transmission. Your best bet for success to do this conversion would be pulling the trans from the 4th Gen eclipse, along with the ECU.

FirstWHIP9gen
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
i wonder how much that would cost

boss102372
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok cool... I will be building a rear mount turbo set up for this car and I know that the automatic tranny does not do well with more horsepower.

boss102372
02-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Also what years do the 4g eclipse fall under? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right parts.

keith6110
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Also what years do the 4g eclipse fall under? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right parts.

2006 to current eclipses.

not that it matters, but 2011 v6 manual is not offered. Just for future reference.

SPD_FRK
02-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Why are you choosing a rear mount turbo? Those are one of the worst, and honestly a "half-assed" design.

Do you really see the point of running your charge piping from the rear of the vehicle back tot he engine compartment? Are you familiar with turbo surge? Rear mount kits are notorious for that issue due to the extremely long charge pipe lengths. You should shoot over to club4g.org and check out some information there for doing a turbo on the engine platform correctly.

boss102372
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I have done a 2 rear mount projects including a 01 chevy pick up and an 92 cavalier. I really like the whole idea and also the removability of the whole setup in a short period of time. If the setup is done right, the kit will perform very well.

SPD_FRK
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, its your own choice. Just be prepared to be prepared to deal with less than efficient results. Not sure how removing a rear mount setup would be quicker than a normal setup. You do realize you will have at least 8 feet of charge piping running under the vehicle right?

Where I work we actually have a customer who brought his 02 Silverado in for a built transmission. The turbo is literally the size of a T25 (if that, which is too damn small for a V8), in addition to this the truck is very sluggish and the response from the turbo is horrible. Plus, the term turbo surge which was mentioned before (ie the thing that will KILL your turbo), is always there on those setups.

"If the setup is done right" - Done right would be not taking the "shortcut" to a properly built turbo system. If you are planning to do this build project correctly, you will have plenty of room to mount the turbo under the hood of the vehicle and get the most efficient results.

boss102372
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok... Having a v8 fed by a t25 is retarded first off. Second off was it a sts kit or a custom kit? Some people don't understand that a v8 needs a bigger turbo to feed it. I built my owe kit with a t3/t4 ar.70 which had very little turbo lag. As for compressor surge, if you put the blow off valve in the correct place you won't have that problem.

boss102372
02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
And what I mean but removability is if the vehicle is a daily driver and something goes wrong with the turbo... U can go back to stock faster then with a front mount turbo. I dont have to take turbo manifolds off and change the whole exhaust on my car if I have a problem. All I have to do is take off the turbo, plug the oil feed line, but the muffler back on, and put the filter back in it's original place. Take 2 hours if that.