PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Glowing in Stereo Cubby

tr1kst4nce
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
So I was in AutoZone today buying wiper blades and I saw these 2 gauges on the shelf. One was a compass and the other was an air temp gauge to read the temperature outside of the car. Both are electro luminescent kind of like the gauge overlays you can buy to put over the speedometer and all that on the 8g's and other cars. So I started to get an idea...

Since I installed my Alpine I have the lil cubby hole under the stereo that I just use to store my sunglasses. I started to look online...

I found this... http://www.amazon.com/Gauges-Toggle-Switches-Carbon-Fiber/dp/B001O3WIOI/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1299011379&sr=1-16

I should have taken a picture of the 2 gauges but I didn't think of it at the time. The only thing I could find online that's similar so you can see is this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Racing-EL-Gauge-52mm-Boost-Gauge-Turbo-Boost-Gauge-/160552052673?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2561a5e7c1

When lit up it looks like this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413HZsg5PVL._AA160_.jpg

Nevermind that it's a boost gauge, I'm just using it as an example. Scroll down and you'll see the pic of all the components. The little black box with the green flat wires coming out and the little controller on the end. That's the electro luminescent power inverter box to control the color. When I use to have an EL gauge overlay for my eclipse, it used the same feature.

So... to the point. I was thinking of getting the compass and the air temp gauge and putting them in the DIN sized panel.

My question is... since I run my HID fog lights off a relay that is tapped into the parking lights, what would be the best 12 volt source to hook up these 2 gauges? Would I wanna hook the power up to a fuse for say the tail lights or license plate so they light up when I turn on my parking/head lights? What are my options? I don't think running wires to under the hood just to tap into the parking lights would be good...? Apparently the power is only for lighting them up, so... I don't think they would pull TOO much juice.

Thoughts...?

oakrdrs187
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
There are 2 wires under the dash that supply parking light power gree/white and green/yellow both have (+) when park lights are on, use either one for you guages, don't worry about blowing a fuse or not enough juice you will be just fine, you say your fogs have a relay so technically you aren't drawing any current from the parking lights.

tr1kst4nce
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM
There are 2 wires under the dash that supply parking light power gree/white and green/yellow both have (+) when park lights are on, use either one for you guages, don't worry about blowing a fuse or not enough juice you will be just fine, you say your fogs have a relay so technically you aren't drawing any current from the parking lights.

Sweet, so which of the colors is the positive? I would assume the white and the yellow?

oakrdrs187
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
both are, they are green with white line and a green with yellow line, bot have positive but test them first. Don't use a test light, get a cheap $20 meter from craftsman or autozone.

tr1kst4nce
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Oh ok, I read it wrong. I thought you meant there were 2 wires together 1 green and one white... etc. Ok it's just one 1 that is striped. Got it.