PDA

View Full Version : 94 Carburated Galant stutters between 2k and 3k RPM, Tach goes crazy

posceola
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
While I'm driving the car will stutter between 2k and 3k rpm. While it stutters the tachometer goes crazy but only in that range. It runs fine and the tach is operating normally when below 2k or above 3k.

Had the same problem with the previous carb and a lot of parts have been changed recently but the problem is slowly getting more noticeable. It feels more like an electrical problem than anything else.

In the last 3 months the parts changed have been;

Carb, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter, starter, alternator, battery, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and timing belt.

Not all the parts were changed for this problem. The previous owner didnt take very good care of the car.

The problem has always been there but is slowly getting worse. Compression has also been done and no problem there

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 04:31 PM
it could be the iac going bad or the transmission.it could also be the crank sensor or the distributor going bad.are there any check engine lights on?

Galanttuner10
03-13-2011, 04:41 PM
is it in every gear that this problem occurs?

posceola
03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
No check engine lights. But the cap and rotor are looking a little burnt and were just replaced.

Same in every gear. When the cars stationary the problem cant be felt, only when driving, but the gauge is always the same. The stuttering is more noticeable when going uphill or when there is more strain on the engine. The gauge will jump up and down from 2k to about 6k quickly when the engine is between 2 and 3k rpm.

Galanttuner10
03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
timing may be off or a bad ground somewhere or a short as well. my car recently was misfiring from a short in my fog lights so id check for exposed wires or pinched wires

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
No check engine lights. But the cap and rotor are looking a little burnt and were just replaced.

Same in every gear. When the cars stationary the problem cant be felt, only when driving, but the gauge is always the same. The stuttering is more noticeable when going uphill or when there is more strain on the engine. The gauge will jump up and down from 2k to about 6k quickly when the engine is between 2 and 3k rpm.

that doesnt sound to good that it struggles on hills,check your motor and transmission mounts for cracking.the transmissions are known to go on these cars thats why a lot of the guys convert to 5 speed manual transmissions.

posceola
03-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Timings ok but a bad ground makes sense. I looked myself but I'm not so good with wiring. I'll have my mechanic check it out as soon as I get a chance.

Any other ideas?

posceola
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Already a 5 speed. Motor and transmission mounts are good for now. Had to change the transmission mounts when I changed the clutch. I forgot to mention that the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing were done around 2 months ago. The rear mount was broken and the front was shot.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
does it many any noises when it starts shuttering?

posceola
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
does it many any noises when it starts shuttering?

No noise, just stuters like crazy.

Galanttuner10
03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
id say a ground or short in something still especially cuz its 5 speed and all the new parts you put in it.

mko
03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
IDK man, its a carb car. IDK if it requires any sensor output like the fuel injected engines.

Post some pics of he carb and distributor, the plug on the distributor.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 05:09 PM
are you sure you have a carberator or is it a throttle body?

posceola
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
are you sure you have a carberator or is it a throttle body?

Im sure its a carb. Im charging my camera, I'll have some pics posted in a few minutes.

mko
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
The carb itself has a throttle bodies in it

posceola
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/f4oj7n.jpg http://i55.tinypic.com/2qk4fps.jpg

posceola
03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/r0uykj.jpg http://i55.tinypic.com/15r1euc.jpg
Camera finally charged. Heres all the pics.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
wow i have never seen a carburated 7g galant before,is that the gdi engine?

posceola
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
wow i have never seen a carburated 7g galant before,is that the gdi engine?

Unfortunately I'm not certain. All I know is that its the 4G64. Original carb is impossible to find since this model not supposed to come carburated in the US. The original carb died long ago. For now I had to use a carb from a hyundai until i can upgrade to something better.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Unfortunately I'm not certain. All I know is that its the 4G64. Original carb is impossible to find since this model not supposed to come carburated in the US. The original carb died long ago. For now I had to use a carb from a hyundai until i can upgrade to something better.

oh it looks like a vacuum line is missing on the carburator.

posceola
03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
oh it looks like a vacuum line is missing on the carburator.

Several actually and not all of the electric connection are done. This is just a temporary carb for now but I had the same issue with the original.

galantlvr34
03-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Several actually and not all of the electric connection are done. This is just a temporary carb for now but I had the same issue with the original.

the vacuum lines might be causing the stutering,how long ago did you change the carb?

posceola
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
the vacuum lines might be causing the stutering,how long ago did you change the carb?

Around 6 months ago when I got the car but I had the same problem I'm having now when I had the original carb.

mko
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
you have an electrical problem and not fuel one.

Check the plug and wires on the distributor. That valve on the distributor, thats the timing advancing valve and its operated by vacuum. Pull the vacuum line and plug it, go for a test drive, see if it changes.

See if the ground to the engine is good. The wire is usually on the firewall and it connects to the carb in your case. IDk how you can do this, but it has to be during the night and see if theres sparking around the engine.

try eliminating one thing at the time

posceola
03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
you have an electrical problem and not fuel one.

Check the plug and wires on the distributor. That valve on the distributor, thats the timing advancing valve and its operated by vacuum. Pull the vacuum line and plug it, go for a test drive, see if it changes.

See if the ground to the engine is good. The wire is usually on the firewall and it connects to the carb in your case. IDk how you can do this, but it has to be during the night and see if theres sparking around the engine.

try eliminating one thing at the time

Tried the vacuum and have the same issue. Ground from the carb is good. Ran a new ground line to a different part of the chassis. Still the same. I think the problem lies elsewhere. Have to wait til next weekend to have the whole electric system checked here.

mko
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh BTW I like the motor mounts

posceola
03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Cars fixed, I'll have it back in a few hours. The ICM was replaced and the problem has been resolved. The problem is that where I'm at its a little difficult to get replacement parts for this car so my mechanic adapted an igntion coil and module from a toyota, not sure what model exactly.

I'll have the car back in a few hours and will post some pics.

mko
03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Good to hear. Now clean up that engine bay.

Shadow19
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Would it be possible that this is a mighty max 4g64 swapped in a 7g? All of those extra wires lead me to believe it was swapped..... However, it is still weird looking.

posceola
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
It could be possible. Got the car used and there have been several owners. Who knows whats original and what isnt.