PDA

View Full Version : Trunk wont open

valpen
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
The handle that sits on the floor on the drivers side works and I can feel that I have resistance on the cable but the trunk wont open?
I also tried using the key to open the trunk but Im guessing that the previous owner didn't or never used the key to open the trunk so I cant get in the way either. And I getting tired of fliping down the seats just to get the crap out of my trunk....

Suggestions anyone?

beam514
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
have you tried having someone hold the latch while simultaneously lifting up the trunk? or turn the key, keep it turned, and try lifting the trunk. Sounds like a latching problem to me.

valpen
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
thing is I feel the tention in the handle and before the trunk always made a pop to it... You could clearly hear a POP sound when you pulled the handle up...

oakrdrs187
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
While you are in there through the backseat make sure the lock isn't tripped. If anything try opening from inside its a very simple mechanism, could be that the prev owner got a new trunk lock and your key won't work.

Machete
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
If you can mange to get to the inside of the latch through the seat, there is an internal lock on the trunk. It's a latch on the inside that sometimes gets engaged.

beam514
03-23-2011, 04:00 PM
thing is I feel the tention in the handle and before the trunk always made a pop to it... You could clearly hear a POP sound when you pulled the handle up...

From looking at the FSM, I believe the latch works almost like the hood latch: You pull the cable, (or something) pushes the trunk up and over the lever. When you release the cable, the bar of the trunk still sits on top of the lever because of the way it's shaped.

My theory is that you are pulling the cable back, so the lever is moving out of the way, but the trunk is not popping up for some reason. This is why I asked if you tried having someone hold the trunk release cable while you lift up on the trunk. Because if you pull it then let go, if whatever force is not pushing up on the trunk to go over the lever, it will just sit in the same place and then be locked again.

ShiZnitH
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
The EU Galants has problems with opening the trunk with keys. Bad quality!
So im guessing that the small white lock thingy on the inside of the trunk is locked.

gnaunited
03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
The problem I had with mine was if you slammed it shut, the switch that turns the light on would get wedged in a way as to lock it shut. I believe it was a little white tab that should move. If you can squeeze in through the backseat you should be able to knock it open. I ended up breaking it off so it would quit happening.

keith6110
03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
If you can mange to get to the inside of the latch through the seat, there is an internal lock on the trunk. It's a latch on the inside that sometimes gets engaged.

This should be your answer. There's a dam lock inside the trunk that disables the trunk release cable. I'm sure this is the answer your looking for. Post if its not.

valpen
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
To everyones help... it was the white little latch that moved its way from lock to free position....

Joshua42007
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Glad you got your problem solved :cool:

The same thing happened to me, no big deal right? Well at the time this happened, I had my huge subwoofer enclosure with 2 12's + 2 Amps, sitting in the way + they were bolted to the ground on every corner. In order to hit that little white latch I had to remove a 6x9 from the rear deck, and reach for that little latch with a long ass screw driver lol. what a pita that was.

valpen
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Glad you got your problem solved :cool:

The same thing happened to me, no big deal right? Well at the time this happened, I had my huge subwoofer enclosure with 2 12's + 2 Amps, sitting in the way + they were bolted to the ground on every corner. In order to hit that little white latch I had to remove a 6x9 from the rear deck, and reach for that little latch with a long ass screw driver lol. what a pita that was.

I bet it was... had nearly the same thing... I'm kinda built heavy up top... so crawling was a bitch thru the whole of the back seat and then try to reach the little white latch with a flashlight in one hand and a screwdriver in the other one... trying to crawl... yeah right like I did my military service... bah humbug...

tobyjohnson
10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
I know this thread is from a few years ago, but does anyone have a pic of the white latch that needs to be flipped? I don't know what I'm looking for and my trunk is stuck with the light staying on.

Black8GV6
10-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Ok, so pull down the rear seat pass through, look on the inside of the trunk behind where the license plate is, on the right side of the trunk (from your view it will be on the left) there is a little white switch, probably the size of a pencil eraser, it goes up or down, so just put it in the other position it is in now. I'm recalling the info from memory but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

tobyjohnson
10-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Do I need to unscrew the black paneling that is covering the latch? Or is it sticking out of the side? I see a small white thing sticking out of the side pointing down (on the left) but I tried flicking it up without success. I don't want to break anything but I can't really tell if I need to unscrew the covering to the latch. I have heard from others that the white switch is underneath the black covering, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

Black8GV6
10-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Nothing to unscrew, JUST FLIP THE WHITE SWITCH

EDIT: "flip the switch" reminded me of a song

5wrdNYj2mco