PDA

View Full Version : Changed two parts, still no luck

732Galant
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
As some may recall I have EGR issues. I have a CEL for P0400 which is EGR Flow Malfunction. I changed the EGR Valve, the EGR Solenoid, and cleared the vaccum lines of any carbon which may remain. Cleared the code with a scanner and shortly thereafter, the code came back. My question is where do I go next? I am currently a year passed due for inspection. Do I get a fake inspection sticker that comes from a shop but isnt registered to my car or go and let it ride with an expired sticker? Im kind of at a loss here as I dont want to dump money and time chasing possible electrical issues with a car that has 200k. Any help would be amazing.

RedGalant2k1
03-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Retrace your steps with all the vacuum lines, then if everything seems legit there, the vehicle will need to be smoked to identify the actual problem.

732Galant
03-27-2011, 08:55 PM
The lines were definitely retraced. In a previous post someone mentioned a check valve that is cheap and right near the solenoid. I'm gonna grab one of them and then go from there I guess.

732Galant
03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm unclear however as to how smoking it will find the issue. I'm leaning towards it being electrical now, differing idea?

fliegendaffe
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
replace both the solenoid and the valve?

732Galant
03-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Yep, valve and solenoid. Next is the little universal check valve and if thats not it idk what to do.

tamim13
03-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Did you put in a new EGR valve or a junkyard one? Are you sure the one you put in is also not bad?

RedGalant2k1
03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Smoking the evaporative emissions system allows for you to find where the lines are broken or damaged. You need a smoke machine to do this.

Isaurio
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Your issue most be on the TB vacuum lines. Double check them make sure they have the right flow. Trace the yellow and blue vacuum lines.

duh2150
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think your going to get anything out of smoking the egr lines maybe a little try and force air down the tubes that go to the egr they sometimes get clogged with carbon I've never used smoke on an egr but I've used it to find leaks to the tank but that would be a different code

So take your egr back off and force air down the 2 holes if air doesn't flow you got a clog

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/duh2150/EGRTUBES.jpg

ADExternal
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
An interesting thought on this is that I have had this code for a over a year and it doesnt seem like anything I do as well to get rid of it. Like you I replaced all the EGR parts but also cleaned out all the lines three different ways. Only thing I havent done is replaced the lines itself.

732Galant
03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I put a brand new EGR Valve and a brand new EGR Solenoid in. Next thing to try is the check valve right near the EGR. Ive literally dont everything everyone else has mentioned aside from smoking the car. A few mechanics have even told me if everythings been replaced and nothing is clogged that its going to be electrical. In which case I will not dump hundreds of dollars into the thing to trace electrical issues.