PDA

View Full Version : Price for a 2000 2.4L engine

mikelbeck
03-28-2011, 08:52 PM
It turns out the engine in my wife's 2000 Galant is pretty much junk, so I'm looking for a replacement.

What's a good price for a running 2.4L engine, and what year engines will drop in as a replacement? I don't want to have to mess with motor mounts, transmissions, computers, etc. Just want to pull this motor out and drop in a replacement.

reiketsutsukigami
03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
do you know what happend to the engine? im looking to buy a 4g64 block core if the block itself isn't damaged ill buy it off you help you pay for the new engine lol.

mikelbeck
03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
do you know what happend to the engine? im looking to buy a 4g64 block core if the block itself isn't damaged ill buy it off you help you pay for the new engine lol.

The timing belt broke, I thought it didn't do much damage but it turns out that it took out the oil pump... I had replaced the timing belt and other pieces, got it running but it was doing some funky stuff. After starting to pull it apart I found that the balance shafts aren't turning, the bearings are all completely shot, etc, etc. Lots of bad stuff. As far as I know the block is OK but I don't know for sure.

reiketsutsukigami
03-28-2011, 10:06 PM
lol well if you get it stripped down to that point all i need to know is that theres no serious dmg to the block ill be putting in a brand new oil/water pump and getting it machined too having them add oil squirters ect ect. all new acl bearings new crank new forged rods + pistons so literally as long as the block isnt ruined itll probably be ok for me.

mikelbeck
03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
lol well if you get it stripped down to that point all i need to know is that theres no serious dmg to the block ill be putting in a brand new oil/water pump and getting it machined too having them add oil squirters ect ect. all new acl bearings new crank new forged rods + pistons so literally as long as the block isnt ruined itll probably be ok for me.

If I do pull it and replace it, I don't think I'm gonna strip it down.

Back to the main topic though... I'm seeing prices anywhere from $400-600 to for a replacement engine (junkyards, etc). Does that sound about right?

reiketsutsukigami
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
yea thats what ive always seen check car-part.com usually gives you a good idea on the average pricing range.

dGALANTc
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
the 99-03 Galant 00-05 eclipse and stratus all share the 2.4. not sure on what years the stratus are so i wont post any but it has to be a coupe if its a stratus.

mikelbeck
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I've found a bunch at local junkyards and recycling places but they're all 90k - 200k miles. Once place in Florida has a guaranteed, tested engine with only 37k, but it's $900 with free shipping to NY. I'm thinking that the extra $500 might be worth it for an engine with 50k-120k less miles...