PDA

View Full Version : Some form of Air Conditioner/Idle Problem.

astriaos
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Greetings Galant forums, I've been reviewing the pile of information you have here for several months since I purchased a 2000 Galant LS with a 2.4L motor and automatic transmission. This is my first galant and I've been trying to treat it right. I've seen no mention of this issue despite going back several years into the database.

This issue is somewhat twofold. Not long ago I had my ignition coils go out, causing a very rough idle and a misfire issue. Upon replacing the sparks, wires, and coils this went away. Idle is perfectly fine both cold and warm motor in drive, reverse, and neutral. Today I decided to test and see if the AC was working, as I live in a [very hot place] and we're about to go into summer.

Sitting at idle when the compressor kicked, rpms dropped severely, down to the point where the entire vehicle started shaking and seemed to be about to die. Even after gassing it to keep it from dying, the idle kept dropping way down and I could detect no cool air blowing. This issue does not occur when just the fan is blowing, only when the AC comes on.

So I come to you, hat in hands. Initially I was thinking that it could be because all of my freon has leaked out (this is an older car and I'm working out the previous owner kinks) due to not being run for several months before it was auctioned off to me. When purchasing the car, I did test the Ac and it worked fine, but here we are several months later and it is dying in a rather spectacular fashion. I can certainly live with it, however if this issue can somehow tailspin and begin impacting my vehicles ability to function, I would certainly like to know.

Any ideas?

tamim13
03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Lets start with what RPMs you are seeing.

Without the AC - What RPM are you seeing on Park/Neutral? What RPM are you seeing on Drive?
With the AC - What RPM are you seeing on Park/Neutral? What RPM are you seeing on Drive?

Sounds like the compressor is loading the engine too much. Might be a Freon problem as you mentioned, but you can get that tested cheap/free at the parts store right?

JesterX
04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Could be your compressor seizing up. If you can see it, watch the front of the a/c compressor and make sure it is spinning with the belt. If it is seizing up and the belt is just sliding over the pulley that can cause enough drag on the motor to do what you are describing

01blackG
04-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I would check out the freon pressures and also check out the pump first. Once you do that get back with us. It can be trouble shot better.