PDA

View Full Version : painting??/regristation

NewGalantKid
04-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Alright so here's the deal I haven't told you guys.. As a few of you may know I have a 2001 galant I-4 es ...my dad got it brand new in 2000 and now its mine. He got into a few accidents but relatively fine now...but as an idea of how bad my friends call it a piece of shit and say its been through Hell and back.....but not for the reason you may think. Last year when I got my license my dad gave me the car cause he bought a new one and there were dents in the hood a huge scratch down the passenger side of the car (the length of the car Long) and some frame issues and rear bumper.

So when I got it I asked my dad to let me replace it. He let me so we went to the junkyard got the doors bumper hood and etc. And with the help the help of a family friend we managed to pull most of the frame back out. Unfortunately all of the pieces were different colors so my originally green car is now green with a white hood silver passenger door gold bumper.and white rear passenger door. It's pretty bad.

So my dad said I could get it painted by the school year now its April and still no paint. It's kind of sad how ugly it is. But then my motor seized and I haven't had it for a while and now I'm getting an engine swap for around 1000$ (I found this surprising?) And my dad said I can get it painted finally I wanted to paint it black but my dad says oh well then you have to get the painter.to show proof of the color and take it to the dmv and re-register it which isn't cheap.

Idk how true this is and does anyone know? I live in Wappingers falls new York. And also does anyone know a good but cheapish place where they paint cars? In new York but not maaco I just needed a temporary paint job for now. Thanks :)

finald8ta
04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
goto ur dmv and find out, each state is diff

DTP
04-03-2011, 06:52 PM
I've never heard of changing the color of your car requires you to re-register it.

If you're gonna paint it, don't go cheap. You get what you pay for, so to speak.

NewGalantKid
04-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Well seeing as my car is different colors the 3 plAces I went to say it'll me $2000 to paint and my dad isn't willing to spend that much :/

DTP
04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
just get them to color match them to the car... shouldn't be that hard. do some of the prep work yourself to save money there too.

mrjaydeeone
04-03-2011, 07:19 PM
from what I understand in NY you just need to go to the DMV and fill out the paperwork to register the car and just put the new color. And there shouldn't be any fee to change the color either.
here's the dmv website
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

NewGalantKid
04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
What do you mean color match...?? And what does the prep work include besides taping?

DTP
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
What do you mean color match...?? And what does the prep work include besides taping?

Match the car's original color.

Sanding and priming and so on

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

NewGalantKid
04-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Well some of the panels are different colors? Or just match the whole car to one color? And would it be just easier to paint black?

keith6110
04-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Just paint the car, go to the dmv and ask what you need to do. The color has been changed and you want to make sure you're perfectly legal.

NewGalantKid
04-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Ok how hard is it to paint a car by yourself?

DTP
04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
You should PM Keith. He does his own painting, and it looks amazing

galantlvr34
04-04-2011, 08:59 AM
You should PM Keith. He does his own painting, and it looks amazing

i agree with you on that one his new engine bay looks amazing.

NewGalantKid
04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Alright thanks and do you guys know of a good place to buy car paint for a good price?