PDA

View Full Version : How to align steering wheel?

qnz
04-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Can 8gs have the steering wheel aligned? I have to hold the steering wheel at like 12:01 for the car to drive straight. This is in the center of the road, coasting at 30mph.

THe wheel/tire alignment is correct afaik. It was last done last summer.

bobmundo123
04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Can 8gs have the steering wheel aligned? I have to hold the steering wheel at like 12:01 for the car to drive straight. This is in the center of the road, coasting at 30mph.

THe wheel/tire alignment is correct afaik. It was last done last summer.

yes they can. I don't remember How it was done exactly, but its a bit tricky to do from what i remember..

4g63lover
04-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Have someone do the toe adjustment properly. When aligning a car, people are supposed to use the steering wheel holder and adjust from there. People tend to skip that part and fuck shit up. Remember when they adjust toe they adjust the angle from the wheels not the rack. So the angles could be in spec and still have the crooked steering wheel.

tamim13
04-09-2011, 12:40 PM
^^ Exactly what he said. The last time I did an alignment at Mitsubishi, they forgot to block my steering as well, and although my alignment was good, the steering was off. I had to go and get it redone at another place and tell them to block the steering straight and then align.

bsilver23
04-09-2011, 12:45 PM
yeah that is exactly how mine currently is as well. the alignment is right on, but when driving straight the steering wheel is at like 12:02 ish and it really gets annoying after awhile lol

mko
04-09-2011, 12:47 PM
if wheel alignment is correct then pull the air bag out, undo the nut that holds the steering wheel and start driving. Get on a nice straight, pull the steering wheel out and quickly put it back in place. I know its kind of scary, but i've always done it that way. You dont have to go fast either, 20-30 mph is plenty

reiketsutsukigami
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
^^ i can see some new graveyard threads coming from this lol.

bobmundo123
04-09-2011, 02:45 PM
if wheel alignment is correct then pull the air bag out, undo the nut that holds the steering wheel and start driving. Get on a nice straight, pull the steering wheel out and quickly put it back in place. I know its kind of scary, but i've always done it that way. You dont have to go fast either, 20-30 mph is plenty

Exactly... Thats what i thought.. didnt wanna sound like a retard if i was wrong or give out false info.. but thats pretty much what i had done to my camry along with my 8g NUMEROUS TIMES.. IDK if you guys remember my old school steering wheel.. LMAO... i bought it with the car then went stock.. lmao...

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4244/59/48/1358310411/n1358310411_30557800_3303216.jpg

TO ...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/7425_1194825634970_1358310411_30789493_6535199_n.j pg

Stewi
04-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Aaron if its only off by that slight little bit, the easiest way would be to center the wheel and adjust the tie rods so it was even again. Its probably only out by like a half turn on each tie rod. I really gotta get an alignment done on my car, between having the rack and column out like twice and replacing the tierods and now the EVO5 steering wheel, my wheel is at like 12:15 when the car drives straight and no, im not kidding its BAD

qnz
04-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Im not understanding. Why do you need the car in motion? cant you do the same thing with the car not moving?

bobmundo123
04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Im not understanding. Why do you need the car in motion? cant you do the same thing with the car not moving?

So you can adjust while you drive. People find it easier to allign that way instead of jus doing it by eye.. at least when its in motion.. Its by eye and feel I suppose... so u get it in the first shot instead of trial in error... At least that was my interpretation.

mko
04-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Because lets says you move it a tooth or a couple of teeth and then you take a ride and it still sits crooked, then you have to stop and undo the bolt and move it a couple of teeth again and then test drive it again and who knows how many times.

I was giving you advice so you skip all that hassle.

4g63lover
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
My dude, that works at Merlins has a term he always uses, "take it out back" and when they have an issue like this he takes the vehicle out back faces the wheel towards a curb and slowly turns into it and adjusts the wheel. I think it's ghetto but it works for him. I just do it properly on the rack.

RedGalant2k1
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
My dude, that works at Merlins has a term he always uses, "take it out back" and when they have an issue like this he takes the vehicle out back faces the wheel towards a curb and slowly turns into it and adjusts the wheel. I think it's ghetto but it works for him. I just do it properly on the rack.

Not to mention the 'curb' method could be problematic with regard to the rack and pinion itself. I wouldn't ever get anything done at that shop...ever.

beam514
04-10-2011, 09:42 PM

When the car is not moving, the wheels could be ever so slightly off, yet they'll look straight. You bolt the wheel back on straight and then you drive and realize it's slightly off. When the car is moving, the natural path of the car is to go straight (granted the alignment is good). So no matter what, you know the wheels will be perfectly aligned as "straight ahead". You can't have the slightest bit of slope on the road though.