PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem I Think...Not Sure But I Need Some Help Guys Plz

G-code88
04-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok so my car has been sitting for a few weeks due to the drive shaft axle needing to be replaced. Thought it was a tranny issue because the car wouldnt move in gear and i was to scared to take it to the shop because I didnt want to hear the price on how much it would cost to get fixed. But anyway a few days before it sat in my driveway my Battery and Brake light on my dash kept dimming in and out. Took the battery and got it replaced. Put it in the other day along with the new drive shadt axle at the shop, drove around and went home and the battery died on me. It wouldnt start up right away. Let it sit for about 30min and tried it again and it started. So i dont think its my alternator because its charging my battery. I know its not the battery because its brand spanking new. So the only other thing i can think of is an electrical issue due to my dash lights dimming in and out thats draining the battery super fast. Any input woule be greatly appreciated guys. thanks in advance

DTP
04-15-2011, 07:52 AM
It's your alternator.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

qnz
04-15-2011, 07:58 AM
alternator is most likely

ADExternal
04-15-2011, 08:07 AM
either alternator or bad grounding

G-code88
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys. Is the alternator easy to replace?

ADExternal
04-16-2011, 02:37 PM
It is if you have a car lift and mechanic tools. its cake. Otherwise I wouldnt do it. Even if the i4 have alot of clearance at the alt.

Stewi
04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
It is if you have a car lift and mechanic tools. its cake. Otherwise I wouldnt do it. Even if the i4 have alot of clearance at the alt.

You can change an alternator in an I4 in about 45 minutes or less. You dont need a lift, hell if your really good, you dont even need a jack.

G-code88
04-16-2011, 05:14 PM
yea i think ill attempt it. Im a little bit mechanically inclined and can do enough. I have the haynes manuel so it shouldnt be to hard. I heard its easier to remove it from the top

Stewi
04-16-2011, 07:33 PM
You can remove it from the top. If you have a jack and a jackstand you can remove it through the bottom a little easier.

G-code88
04-17-2011, 06:50 AM
oh i forgot to mention my horn isnt working either but my SRS light isnt on and my cruise works fine, thats why i orginally thought it was an electrical issue. Could this be to a bad alternator also?

Stewi
04-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I doubt the alternator would have anything to do with the horn.

G-code88
04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
yea im pretty sure its the horn itself because when I push it I hear a clicking noise up front

bronxbombr
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
check all your fuses first. And like Stewi said...........Altenator is easy as hell to change without jacking up the car,

G-code88
04-20-2011, 06:34 PM
well i took it out yesterdy and im waiting on my dad to get the new one in at advanced auto. He brought it for me since he works there and gets 20% off. I had to jack my car up to unplug the wire and get the B+ nut off because my car is lowered and the bolts were rusted. Other than that it wats pretty easy.

G-code88
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
ok so i replaced the alternator but the brake light and the battery light are still flashing. they dim out at times also. I jumped the battery and it seems to be starting up effectively now but im confused as to why the lights are still fllashig

G-code88
04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Took the battery out and got it fully charged at Advanced Auto. Put it back and the lights were still flashing on my dash. Let the car run for awhile and they went away. Later tonight i started her up and the lights came back and after awhile they went away again so i took it for a drive and about 10minutes later she starts acting up again like she wants to cut off. Got her home and let it run till it shut off while the flashing liights came back. I dont understand whats wrong. I have a brand new battery and a brand new alternator. I checked all my fuses and i dont have any wiring in my car besides my cd player in which I checked that also and nothing seems to be out of place. What could possibly be the problem here?

Swenny
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
When I had that happen to me it turned out to be corrosion on the battery clamps. Not sure if diconnecting both of them and pouring a can of Coke on them is the recommended fix around here. You can always use battery terminal cleaner too. Clean them really well with a wire brush and see if that helps

sthrnbumpn
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Swenny is onto sumthin a corroded ground sounds like the culprit instead of cleanin it mite as well replace, bein that everything else is new, corrosion can get deep in to the cables length an id go with 2 gauge ground cables, ground cable should be mounted from trans to strut tower to neg of batt

G-code88
04-27-2011, 05:00 PM
i checked the cables and they seem in decent condition. When i hook jumper cables up to the battery the car is fine but once i take them off its back to acting up. Where could i get new cables from and how much do u think they would cost me to replace?