PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Vinyl

ILLogical
04-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm planning on purchasing some 3m Carbon Fiber Vinyl and wrapping my dash, My question is do I need to sand it down? I feel like it wouldn't match the rough stuff all over the dash.

Galantman03
04-17-2011, 12:13 AM
I would think you wouldn't have to, I haven't messed with the stuff, but I think its pretty thick. I personally wouldn't sand it down, just incase you get tired of it and want to take it off

ADExternal
04-17-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm assuming hes doing this because either his dash is cracked or wanting to prevent the crack that all our cars eventually get to.

Stewi
04-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Nah you shouldnt have to sand it down. Just follow 3M's instructions on how to install the vinyl with proper heat and what not and you should be OK.

Sleepervr-4
04-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Wrapping your dash might also help out with dash rattle since it adds more vibration dampening. Been thinking about doing this as well because at times my glove box makes me want to rip it out and chuck it out the window lol. To answer your question you shouldn't need to sand it but make sure you prep the surface well and try do do it in a clean room that is free of wind, dust and all the other elements.

bwracing00
04-17-2011, 12:59 PM
3m Di-noc cf vinyl? is that what you are using its all over almost ever car forum. im planning on wrapping my 3g roof in the CF vinyl and then clear coating the vinyl.

Galantman03
04-17-2011, 01:29 PM
^that sir sounds like a good idea...but that might take alot of clear haha... and no, wrapping the dash will not stop it from rattling lol trust me I have my dash wrapped in suade.... it still rattles, and I think its cause moslty from taking it apart, but also where it mounts, those little resting places need to be covered in some sort of felt, so it doesn't rub and vibrate

ILLogical
04-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm assuming hes doing this because either his dash is cracked or wanting to prevent the crack that all our cars eventually get to.

That is actually one of the reasons I've been looking into this, It hasn't happened yet and I'd like to keep it that way

Nah you shouldnt have to sand it down. Just follow 3M's instructions on how to install the vinyl with proper heat and what not and you should be OK.

Sounds good, Thanks.

I would think you wouldn't have to, I haven't messed with the stuff, but I think its pretty thick. I personally wouldn't sand it down, just incase you get tired of it and want to take it off

Yeah that is a great idea.

Wrapping your dash might also help out with dash rattle since it adds more vibration dampening. Been thinking about doing this as well because at times my glove box makes me want to rip it out and chuck it out the window lol. To answer your question you shouldn't need to sand it but make sure you prep the surface well and try do do it in a clean room that is free of wind, dust and all the other elements.

I've got fixing that damn glove on my to do list.

3m Di-noc cf vinyl? is that what you are using its all over almost ever car forum. im planning on wrapping my 3g roof in the CF vinyl and then clear coating the vinyl.

Yeah thats the kind most likely, And that will look nice.

^that sir sounds like a good idea...but that might take alot of clear haha... and no, wrapping the dash will not stop it from rattling lol trust me I have my dash wrapped in suade.... it still rattles, and I think its cause moslty from taking it apart, but also where it mounts, those little resting places need to be covered in some sort of felt, so it doesn't rub and vibrate

Hahah I don't want this rattling >.> I'm hoping it doesn't when I get around to taking it apart.

jonry
04-17-2011, 08:19 PM

lmfao! i feel the same way about that damn rattle!

Serbj
04-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I suggest you to clean the surface thoroughly, say with alcohol swabs. Di-noc should stick to it pretty well.

ILLogical
04-20-2011, 11:48 PM
I suggest you to clean the surface thoroughly, say with alcohol swabs. Di-noc should stick to it pretty well.

Yeah I'm going to get a bit and try it out.

boochieboy
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
You think the CF vinyl would work on the fabric part of the door panels (of course, after all the fabric and foam were removed)??? Even if you had to spray glue it in place? I've been thinking about doing that for a while, but not sure because of the thickness (wrapping it around all the corners etc.) and durability.

ILLogical
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
No promises but it might work, I used regular vinyl and it turned out quite well. And for me I had to tear up the fabric because the previous owner was a smoker but I went to a fabric store and got quarter inch foam and laid it down in it's place, Sprayed 3M down, Then repeated with the vinyl. I used screws to reattach and staples.

quicksilver22
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
geezus, do a search. there are two for sale threads from vendors that offer the product and instruct you how to apply it, along with tonnnnnns of questions and answers regarding the products. If you don't find your answer, ask them directly on that thread.

G-spot
04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
geezus, do a search. there are two for sale threads from vendors that offer the product and instruct you how to apply it, along with tonnnnnns of questions and answers regarding the products. If you don't find your answer, ask them directly on that thread.

How would they know specifically about the dash. Bet you've never even used it so gtfo of the thread.

Not cool man, not cool. I actualy went on to the other threads and the instructions are stated within. I learned more about Di-Noc in 10 minutes from those threads while you been moping around in this thread. Quicksilver gave you a suggestion to look elsewhere and you gave him the finger.

So before you assume "who owns what" or "who did what" don't tell someone to GTFO just because he's giving you a suggestion against your favor.

mko
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Keep it civilized people. Harsh language is not tolerated.

Illogical, I can see the post you deleted. Your comment was unasked for. Im watching now

Serbj
04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
mko is right. We should keep the discussion civilized.