PDA

View Full Version : Local empty parking lot for autocross practice?

Serbj
04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Does anybody have an idea that where is the best in New England for autocross practicing?

I know some quasi-ghost parking lots near Hartford, CT but they are not completely empty, therefore it's risky to autocross there. Not mentioning some have light posts, which is dangerous if I hit one.

DTP
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Just play it safe and race with your local chapter off the SCCA

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

beam514
04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
you know this is illegal, mr. law man? lol

Serbj
04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
lol:icon_redface:

Then where do you practice autocross? Going to track for this on a daily basis will cost a lot of money.

beam514
04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't autocross, but I usually go canyon driving. Granted, you can't go all out because well.. it's a canyon and you could die. You do get a very good feel for your car though. I have spun out during a canyon drive before, but now I think I know the limits of the car and can feel when its getting close to slipping. Autocross isn't something you can practice daily.. you'll probably eat through tires very quickly.

Serbj
04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I guess it could be dangerous if there is upcoming traffic or you have to excess the speed limit a lot? Or maybe you mean a really, really empty canyon?

Currently I'm autocrossing in a closed private parking lot, and I think the police should have no say about it. But there are a lot of light posts and I almost hit them many times. So I think it's a bit dangerous.

I use the cheapest used tires for autocross, so it's not draining my money.

beam514
04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I guess it could be dangerous if there is upcoming traffic or you have to excess the speed limit a lot? Or maybe you mean a really, really empty canyon?

Currently I'm autocrossing in a closed private parking lot, and I think the police should have no say about it. But there are a lot of light posts and I almost hit them many times. So I think it's a bit dangerous.

I use the cheapest used tires for autocross, so it's not draining my money.

yeah, I usually go where there are very few cars. Why are there so few cars? Because the roads are so damn windy lol

here's the question.. does the owner of the parking lot know you are practicing there?

Serbj
04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
yeah, I usually go where there are very few cars. Why are there so few cars? Because the roads are so damn windy lol

here's the question.. does the owner of the parking lot know you are practicing there?

No. I always practice when he is out. lol

beam514
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
that, my friend = trespassing = illegal haha
whatever. Your risk lol

reiketsutsukigami
04-20-2011, 08:14 PM
using the cheapest tires for autocross huh......

Serbj
04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
So you guys can see that I need a more rational place for practice.

I'm currently running on Goodyear Eagle LS. I think their performance is funny, but adequate for a noob like me.

DTP
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Definitely practice driving on a regular basis. Your chapter should have a novice school to help show you your limits. And how to drive.

Dont be stupid about driving man. Always be safe.

Serbj
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Definitely practice driving on a regular basis. Your chapter should have a novice school to help show you your limits. And how to drive.

Dont be stupid about driving man. Always be safe.

I find one on Limerock..
http://www.limerock.com/index.php