PDA

View Full Version : strange electrical issues

Rodriguez
04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Sorry if this is a long and over detailed write up, Ive searched and found only bits and pieces of information

So, my car will be running fine right, but if i come out of work sometimes and go to start it, it will click and nothing happens. All the lights on the dash like the door ajar light will dim and fade out. So I let it sit and the lights will slowly comeback on. I go to start and click, nothing. Now I go to the battery and wiggle the positive terminal and sure enough the lights all come on and the car starts, so im thinking ok bad contact. But the terminal was just cleaned and scrubbed and is on there tight as hell.

Heres where I get lost. A few seconds after letting it run if i turn the ac off the car stalls out. This has already happened on numerous occasions. In addition to this, my power windows have stopped working and when I turn certain things on in the car the lights will dim very slightly. I also just replaced the battery about a week ago.

Again sorry for the drawn out explanation. Any help would be great Im not very good with electronics.

tamim13
04-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I think if you go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, they have some kind of gadget that can connect to your system and check if there are electrical issues. I believe it checks the starter, alternator and battery. I think they call a full electrical system check.

Before you changed your battery, did you have any of the said issues?

JesterX
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Double check the connections on the battery and also check the connections on your alternator and starter.

cntrylvr79
04-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds like the battery terminal may be broken. Check both. The rings that go over the battery terminals should be solid and have not breaks in them. Had the same thing your describing happen to me last year. Turned out the negative terminal cracked.

Rodriguez
04-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I think if you go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, they have some kind of gadget that can connect to your system and check if there are electrical issues. I believe it checks the starter, alternator and battery. I think they call a full electrical system check.

Before you changed your battery, did you have any of the said issues?

Do they charge for it, and yes I did bu not to such a serious degree

whokilledhoughes
04-24-2011, 08:09 AM
No advance does this for free. How bad was the terminal corroded?? Before I started using optima batteries I had the same problem..it got so corroded when I looked at the actual cable there was corrosion underneath the whole wire. If that makes sense.. Advance sells a battery corrosion cleaner.. I suggest you buy one and spray away and then wipe away the remains.

If you want pass by my advance auto. Im the commercial manager at the one on 184th and the turnpike. John comes there all the way from pembroke pines for the hook up. I'm there every week mon-fri from 8-5.

AktionCat
04-30-2011, 10:20 AM
hay i had this issue..it did it with both new and old battery..it was only in the morning when 1st starting the car too. I'd open the door and sit in, put the key in, I'd see all the HUD lights and such, then as soon as i turned the key, PFT all electrical went out. Wiggled positive and everything came back on..That thing is on there is tight enuff to where it has the piece bending a bit, so I instead just took it off bent it at kind of an angle and now it contacts correctly and has yet to slip.

I replaced my negative with a newer switch thing but Im clueless about changing the positive out cuz it was few extra wires runnin to it.

Only once or twice would it happen while cruising before I fixed it.

Rodriguez
06-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok guys so im still having the same issue, and this time wiggling does nothing i cleaned everything of and still nothing. Is there any way to replace the positive terminal?

galantlvr34
06-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Ok guys so im still having the same issue, and this time wiggling does nothing i cleaned everything of and still nothing. Is there any way to replace the positive terminal?

yes there is a way to replace the terminals that seems like what your problem is.I had the same thing happen replaced the terminals and it was fixed.Depending on the type of terminals you have on there now they will either be crimped on or bolted on,if it is crimped you have to cut the terminal wire.Disconnect both battery terminals before doing anything.

Rodriguez
06-05-2011, 09:11 AM
yes there is a way to replace the terminals that seems like what your problem is.I had the same thing happen replaced the terminals and it was fixed.Depending on the type of terminals you have on there now they will either be crimped on or bolted on,if it is crimped you have to cut the terminal wire.Disconnect both battery terminals before doing anything.

well i just put a new negative, cause it was cracked But how can I put a new Positive. The positive has like 3 wires running to a plastic piece with a fuse.

galantlvr34
06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
well i just put a new negative, cause it was cracked But how can I put a new Positive. The positive has like 3 wires running to a plastic piece with a fuse.

if you use the bolt on kind you put the two other wires on the part where you bolt down the terminal to the wire on the back of the terminal where there are two bolts.

Rodriguez
06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Ok, Now i just have to get the damn bolts off. they seem to be on there pretty good, I couldn't get them off earlier today. But thanks for the advice.

galantlvr34
06-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok, Now i just have to get the damn bolts off. they seem to be on there pretty good, I couldn't get them off earlier today. But thanks for the advice.

yeah they can be a pain sometimes you have to get on it with pliers.