PDA

View Full Version : Broken Timing Belt...

mhorn0817
04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
hey there, im new to the forums. just picked up a 04 galant with a believed broken timing belt (and im sure more damage) something bad happened to it while driving down the highway. been sitting for a year. the car is a 2004 galant,4 cyl

so what should i do, what should i check, if it is a snapped belt will i need to get a new head assembly or motor or what?

thanks in advance!!!

keith6110
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
hey there, im new to the forums. just picked up a 04 galant with a believed broken timing belt (and im sure more damage) something bad happened to it while driving down the highway. been sitting for a year. the car is a 2004 galant,4 cyl

so what should i do, what should i check, if it is a snapped belt will i need to get a new head assembly or motor or what?

thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to TGC! For starters, use the search button, there is a ton on broken timing belts.

The usual is bent valves and you're looking at a new head or at least new valves. At worst your pistons may be damaged, but when the heads are off, you can check that out for yourself.

Good luck!

mhorn0817
04-26-2011, 05:46 AM
hmmmm...i did search around a little bit, didnt really find anything on broken timing belt. i only searched in the 9g section since thats the style i have. i kinda figure i would atleast need valves and probably just a new head assembly. hopefully i wont have to replace the whole motor.

Gotti
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I work for Mitsu for 6 yrs. Probably one seen 1 car that has a bent vavle when the timing belt broke. Most of the time just replace the belt and the engine are fine.

mhorn0817
04-28-2011, 05:40 AM
wow really...interesteding....even if it snapped while doing 65mpg down the highway?

JLPix
04-25-2016, 10:26 PM
just happened to me. They're saying $3900 to have it sent to a machine shop to have it looked at...

driver57
05-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Have a 1999 gallant 3.0 s.o.h.c. Water pump froze and fried the timing belt. Installed a new water pump,timing belt and accessory serpentine belts. Set crankshaft and camshafts to t.d.c.#1 piston.It started up but running rough then not at all.If it passes a compression test on all 6 cylinders would my next move be to check the crankshaft position sensor/crank angle sensor? That solved a past problem of mine when the engine would crank but had no spark.That is the current status now. If anyone has some positive or negative input to this I would deeply appreciate your knowledge or experience on this matter.