PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic converter questions...

JesterX
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
So I have a 99 Galant ES V6. I am in training for the Army right now so I have no access to the car but my wife is trying to get the CEL fixed. Came up with code P0421 (I think). She took it to a mechanic her parents trust and he checked it out and said it is probably a bad cat or o2 sensor. He got looking into it and to make a long story short, he says it needs ALL 3 cats replaced along with o2 sensors. He got the parts and started trying to replace the cats but I guess the cats wouldnt fit on the manifolds because he got the california emissions cats instead of the federal ones or something...

So anyway, my question is what exactly is the difference between Cal and fed cats? Is one bigger than the other? Different mounting? I guess he told my wife he was going to have to cut and weld and do something to make it work. Just wondering what you guys think since I'm sure someone has had to deal with this type of thing before. Also is it common for all 3 to go at once or is he just trying to cover himself?

Thanks

dGALANTc
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
i really find it hard to believe that you would need all 3 cats and all o2 sensors. he is maybe trying to make a little cash off your wife some tend to shark when women come in... what was he going to charge for all this?

oakrdrs187
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
^^^ I bet something ridiculous like 2.5k

JesterX
04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Thats what I thought too. Seems a little weird that all of it would need to be replaced. At first he tried a couple parts and they werent working so he said he would have to get the parts directly from mitsubishi and it was going to be over a grand just in parts. He is giving a good break on labor since he is a family friend but I just talked to my wife and I guess all together its going to run about 700 or so. Could be worse. I will talk to her again later and see exactly what was replaced

dGALANTc
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
what Happened??? Im throwing the same code p0421 and it reads

P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

JesterX
04-27-2011, 04:33 PM
My wife got the car back last night so I will talk to her tonight and find out exactly what got fixed

NewGalantKid
04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Where are all three catalytic converters located?

JesterX
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
1 off each manifold, then it goes down to a y-pipe and there is a 3rd off of that pipe