PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold questions

NewGalantKid
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Alright so as a few of you may know I got a motor swap a week or two ago I resolved all the issues I noticed but i also think I have an exhaust leak in the manifold(headers) I have stock headers....but when I try to tighten or loosen the bolts on the headers they don't budge at all
I also am thinking of taking them off to install actual headers but the bolts.won't budge...any tips? I don't have a torque wrench just a regular socket wrench and the socket keeps getting angled and stuck -___-

Help

Galantman03
04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
did you put the old gasket on? or did you put a new one on?

NewGalantKid
04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
My mechanic did the swap not me so I'm not sure Id assume so cause my dad told him to do everything right and he is a trusted family mechanic.....Idk if I could take it off and check the gasket? But I can't even get it off

gnaunited
04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
They should just be nuts assuming it i still the stock I4. It seems like they should have been off while he was installing the engine. I don't think you would be able to shear a stud off by trying too hard.

NewGalantKid
04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Yea they are just nuts and i didn't shear anything its just being a pain in the Ass to unbolt(which I can't) Idk ill try again tomorrow. Maybe some tips on easier unbolting....oh and what if the bolts aren't torqued to specs.

What do you guys think of open headers? XD

Galantman03
04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
well I'm pretty sure they are 12mm and then the two end ones are 14mm. I only remember one trickey one, which is the underside, left most 12mm nut, but all of them where hard to take off if they be torqued down right. I have had an exhaust leak before because I took it of, and installed it, put what I didn't realize is I had some small tiny rocks that where chilling on top of the gasket itself, and when I install it, the rocks somehow ending in between the gasket and the head surface, so I would check for that. But your going to have to get those bolts off, try a 1/2 inch ratchet on the ones you can get access to, and try a wrench with a cheater on the end of it, to aid in more leverage

NewGalantKid
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
well I'm pretty sure they are 12mm and then the two end ones are 14mm. I only remember one trickey one, which is the underside, left most 12mm nut, but all of them where hard to take off if they be torqued down right. I have had an exhaust leak before because I took it of, and installed it, put what I didn't realize is I had some small tiny rocks that where chilling on top of the gasket itself, and when I install it, the rocks somehow ending in between the gasket and the head surface, so I would check for that. But your going to have to get those bolts off, try a 1/2 inch ratchet on the ones you can get access to, and try a wrench with a cheater on the end of it, to aid in more leverage

Alright awesome ill try tomorrow thanks...what if I don't torque it correctly back to specs?

Galantman03
04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I have never torque them down cuz I can't go a month without talking the manifold off lol, I snug them up a bit, but if you need the torque specs I can get them for ya. Just make the surfaces carbon and dirt free when you reinstall it.

gnaunited
04-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I forgot to toque mine down after rebuilding the head, it will just be incredably loud with lots of tapping noises like your car has no oil. It is pretty noticeable.

NewGalantKid
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I have never torque them down cuz I can't go a month without talking the manifold off lol, I snug them up a bit, but if you need the torque specs I can get them for ya. Just make the surfaces carbon and dirt free when you reinstall it.

So why do you take them off all the time? XD and how do you not get loud noise and tapping as gnaunited said?

I forgot to toque mine down after rebuilding the head, it will just be incredably loud with lots of tapping noises like your car has no oil. It is pretty noticeable.

Alrighty thanks ill make sure I torque it down then

NewGalantKid
04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
So I tried unbolting it again and it just wouldn't budge at all it started skipping and shearing

dGALANTc
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
spray some pb blaster on it and let it soak for a while... any penetrating oil would work like wd-40. that what i had to do to get mine off... just a thought

oh and put some MUSCLE in it lol

Galantman03
04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
So why do you take them off all the time? XD and how do you not get loud noise and tapping as gnaunited said?

Alrighty thanks ill make sure I torque it down then
I'm working on something :) and Idk, I just install it and have never really had any major problems, just one leak once

So I tried unbolting it again and it just wouldn't budge at all it started skipping and shearing

maybe try heating it with a torch also?

NewGalantKid
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm working on something :) and Idk, I just install it and have never really had any major problems, just one leak once

maybe try heating it with a torch also?
Oh lol alright what about driving the car so it gets hot and then trying? XDDDD ROFL

spray some pb blaster on it and let it soak for a while... any penetrating oil would work like wd-40. that what i had to do to get mine off... just a thought

oh and put some MUSCLE in it lol

Lol I did use muscle it just ends up skipping and shearing...

Galantman03
04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
yeah you can drive it and try that, guess I didn't think of the obvious... lol, what you meaning skipping and shearing? You didn't round off the nuts did you?

NewGalantKid
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Not yet lol like if I start trying to turn it really hard it just kind of skips as if it was a stripped bolt but its not just really tight?

Galantman03
04-27-2011, 08:32 PM
does it turn? maybe he really tightened those down... try loosening them, BUT watch the nut and make sure it doesn't round out, and make sure the nut is spinning, not the stud

NewGalantKid
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
It doesn't turn at all and I'm confused what do you mean the nut not the stud.....sorry for dumb question

Rabbi1991
04-28-2011, 04:03 AM
The bolt should be realy easy to take off, try using lockedkey 12mm and another or 14mm on the end, use the closed end on the bolt, check if the nut under is pinned down and wont spin with. Remember you don't need muscle if you have a longer shaft.

NewGalantKid
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Well I used those two and it doesn't turn...I don't have a longer shaft lol so Idk -__-

Galantman03
04-28-2011, 09:49 AM
the stud is what the nut is threaded to. The stud is basically a bolt, without the head, which has two different thread pitches on it, one side screws into the head itself, and the other side the nut threads on to that.

NewGalantKid
04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Fml this might have to wait a few days I got into an accident today...-__-

dGALANTc
04-29-2011, 12:46 AM
The bolt should be realy easy to take off, try using lockedkey 12mm and another or 14mm on the end, use the closed end on the bolt, check if the nut under is pinned down and wont spin with. Remember you don't need muscle if you have a longer shaft.

ha ha i didnt need either i just used a bunch of lube!

accident what the hell happened?

NewGalantKid
04-29-2011, 05:06 AM
My dad likes putting the cheapest tires ever on my car
-__-
so it stopped raining and the roads were drying (roads like that are the worst) and some guy in front of me was slowing down to make a turn and so did I. suddenly he stops short so I try to but my car slid right into him...his car looks completely fine..he's worried what's behind the bumper like the foam collapsing. My front bumper was a bit damaged before and it dislodged a bit ill probably get a new one but nothing too major.

NewGalantKid
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/cooled74/picsay-1304097595.jpg

That's his damage....he's worried that the foam behind the bumper collapsed -__-

Edit* I forgot to pixel his plate
And the white spots is just light not scratches

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I see no damage lol, and the foam expands and contracts usually.... although my rear bumper foam was broken and missing chunks.

Rabbi1991
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Can't see any problem.

NewGalantKid
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Lol right xD Idk he called it costs a grand to fix his car because something behind his license plate collapsed or exploded Idk my dad talked to him lol... I'm 17 and young so my dad dealt/dealing with it lol

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
make sure you get proof, alot of fraud is happening, and I see NO damage lol

NewGalantKid
04-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Yea I will lol...but can't he just like smash the inside of his bumper/ foam and I wouldn't know?

Yea the guy was being an Ass too because I called my dad and he came over and my dad asked what's wrong cause he didn't see any damage and the guy started yelling at my dad saying IDK WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT I'M NOT TRYING TO FIND ANYTHING WRONG BUT THERE MIGHT BE. and my dad was like I'm just asking gosh.....and later while waiting for the cops my dad was calling someone and the guys kept rambling on and then tells me I'm a big boy I don't need my dad...I was like I'm 17....

What I thought was I'm 17 Ass**** I can call my dad lol

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Because he said that, make SURE you take your dad with you whenever you talk to him or see him, keep your dad involved. Shoot man I'm 22 and Ill call my dad no problem, I don't want to get screwed lol.

NewGalantKid
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
lol I know I am my dad is handling it all.....but where can I get the proof his not screwing with us cause can't he mess with anything behind the bumper and I wouldn't know?

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
you should be able to ask the body shops who will fix that, and as for him messing with it, maybe... most likely he won't though, its a pain to take bumpers off

NewGalantKid
04-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Well Idk when I replaced mine it wasn't that bad lol...and you mean the body shop will tell me exactly how much it is?

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
well if he goes and gets a quote of this "damage", yes, but your insurance should cover it

Galantman03
04-30-2011, 11:39 PM
I know this is for the front, but you can see it doesn't cost that much
http://market.autopartsfair.com/pontiac-exterior_parts/grand_prix-2004-bumpers-p011703.html?campaign=grand_prixbumper

NewGalantKid
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Well my dad doesn't want to go through insurance...could anything else have been damaged or "collapsed" without actually breaking the bumper cover?

reiketsutsukigami
05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
ive had mine out and if theres no dmg to the exterior i strongly doubt anything at all in any way shape or form happend to the inside the guys just being the biggest ass he possibly can. frikin foam what a jackass >.> i threw mine away when i had my bumper covers off (needed room for other stuff but still) as far as the bolts go i took mine off the first time with a wrench not a socket its a little easier.

NewGalantKid
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
ive had mine out and if theres no dmg to the exterior i strongly doubt anything at all in any way shape or form happend to the inside the guys just being the biggest ass he possibly can. frikin foam what a jackass >.> i threw mine away when i had my bumper covers off (needed room for other stuff but still) as far as the bolts go i took mine off the first time with a wrench not a socket its a little easier.

Fml...thanks guys ill tell my dad to go check it out or at least get the actual quote/ receipt from the body guy....thanks

NewGalantKid
05-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Alright so the guy claims that the bumper itself cracked behind the license plate -___-

Galantman03
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
take of the license plate and let him show you lol be an ass

NewGalantKid
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Lmao I would but my dad is the only one dealing with him and i don't think he will xD....although the guy said he will give my dad the bill.

NewGalantKid
05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Here's a question I want to get a radar detector just so I can make sure that I'm obeying the law since I drive the speed limit...maybe 5 over lol
Anyways I found this really cheap one and I wanted to know if it'll get the job done and in time...thanks

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=9391437&pid=1218097973201

NewGalantKid
05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Oh and I tried to take off my exhaust manifold and no luck I sprayed w-d 40 and it made it worse 12mm socket is too big because its loose and starts to strip a bit ..
And 11mm socket is too small and it doesn't even fit -__-

wetamup2k3g
05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Radar detector looks ok, they're not the end-all, be-all, but I've never gotten a ticket if I was driving a car with one, I've had mine since '04. Not sure about your screw on your manifold, I say try some standard wrenches, 7/16" might work, or a much more rare 15/32."

NewGalantKid
05-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Damn it alright ill try ill have to borrow a friends wrench lol

NewGalantKid
05-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Here's another question I know a lot of new cars use back pressure from the stock muffler for more horsepower..or at least I was told.....if I removed my muffler and straight pipped it would i lose any power? Idk about the G's

dGALANTc
05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
dont do it you will not like the result... my 2 cents