PDA

View Full Version : Sprung a leak

ichbindasgehirn
04-28-2011, 07:24 AM
So, when It rains, which I'm sure you guys have been hearing about all the rain that we're getting here in arkansas and surrounding areas, my front and rear passenger side floorboards get soaking wet, It only does it when I'm parked because I drove three hours in the poring rain and they didn't get one bit wet, so any suggestions? It's a 2002 LS with a sunroof.

kidfresh89
04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
is it comeing from the doors or the sun roof? if its from the doors you might need to get new weather strips. the old ones maybe rotting out or have too much dirt on it. this happend to my celica gts and it solved the problem.

DTP
04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Check all the weather stripping and the sun roof drain channels

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

ichbindasgehirn
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Where's the sunroof drain channels? I don't think it's the doors but I don't know, my passenger door has a really hollow metal sound when I close it I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

M-Rod
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
fully open the sunroof and I believe there you should notice them on the edges. Otherwise I believe the other end of the drain empties behind the rear tire. If you look under the car, you should be able to see what I'm talking about. If you have an air compressor, blow air to make sure it's not clogged.

ichbindasgehirn
04-28-2011, 10:38 AM
fully open the sunroof and I believe there you should notice them on the edges. Otherwise I believe the other end of the drain empties behind the rear tire. If you look under the car, you should be able to see what I'm talking about. If you have an air compressor, blow air to make sure it's not clogged.

I heard that there is a drain that goes down the B-pillar, I'll check that one and I don't think that it's the compressor because it only does this when it rains.

M-Rod
04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I was referring to an air compressor that you could blow 125psi through your drain to make sure there are no clogs in the drain. And the drain may be in the B-Pillar. I can't remember off hand since I'm not anywhere near my car right now.

ichbindasgehirn
04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Ohh, well what I'm going to do is next time it rains I'll put a tarp over just the sunroof and if that fixes it I'll know that it's that and get it fixed but if It still does it I'll know it's not the sunroof. Should rain Saturday or Sunday so I'll have an update when I find out.

How much does a new carpet cost? It's rotten away at the foam under the carpet and I don't want my car to smell like mold when I get it fixed. I'd like to get black if possible. Anyone know?

01blackG
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
If the carpet is rotten now. Just pull carpet remove the foam. Then power wash the carpet. Let carpet dry for a day or two then reinstall carpet with out foam. Only two down falls with not having the foam under the carpet.

1 - road noise may increase
2 - during the summer months you may notice the interior of the car being warmer while running car. Nothing to worry about. Its just without the foam you would be noticing the heat from the under side of the car a little more.......if it even is noticeable.

plus side you will save big bucks by just removing the foam and cleaning the carpet.

reiketsutsukigami
05-06-2011, 10:04 PM
they also sell any color molded carpets for about 120 on ebay if you want a new one with a diff color.

Rabbi1991
05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I think you can put it in a bathtub with some colored dye and leave it for a day or to to get a new color.

But I won't take any responsability for it

ichbindasgehirn
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
It is the sunroof and the drain is not pugged, so what is my next move?

dGALANTc
05-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Do you hear clunking around in there when the sunroof is open or on vent? this is the problem i had and i think its starting back now there is a drain channel that runs parallel to the sunroof to direct the water to the drain tubes... mine was totally out of whack here is my thread
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41858&highlight=sunroof+alignment

this fixed my problem but i had to remove the entire sunroof and put that thing back on i think it shook loose again so i may have to do it once more... not fun but pretty straightforward.
but download the fsm it helped me out whille putting it back together.

MisterDeadeye
05-14-2011, 12:02 AM
I think you can put it in a bathtub with some colored dye and leave it for a day or to to get a new color.

But I won't take any responsability for it

Can anyone vouch for this? I'm intrigued, and it's much cheaper than the $130 carpets on eBay. Although, having a new carpet would be nice. And they do come with mats to put underneath. Hmmmmm.

01blackG
05-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Can anyone vouch for this? I'm intrigued, and it's much cheaper than the $130 carpets on eBay. Although, having a new carpet would be nice. And they do come with mats to put underneath. Hmmmmm.

I can not vouch for that. But I can vouch for one thing. If you have very soild areas of the rug spray it very lightly with spray paint just enough to dust the carpet. But not to much to saturate it. And let dry between each light spray then vacuum to soften the fabric then spray lightly again if needed. Repeat that spray, dry, vacuum, untill the spot is the color you are trying to get back.

It was a little trick I picked up while detailing cars and it works every time. IT IS NOT TO BE USED FOR COLOR CHANGE OF CARPET. Only use this proceedure for spot cover up.

MisterDeadeye
05-14-2011, 10:04 AM
That's pretty interesting, too. When I get my sound deadener, I'll do a nice deep clean on the carpet, and see if anything is discolored.

Sorry for the topic derail. On topic, do you know where it's leaking?

wright06jhs
05-14-2011, 11:59 AM
The sunroof drain hoses run down the A and C pillars. The B pillars are the ones your seat belts attach too.

I would start by removing your headliner AND carpet and have someone run a water hose across the sunroof and watch to see where the water is coming in. There is no use in trying to fix the carpet until you find exactly where the leak is coming from. These parts are not hard to remove, just time consuming.