PDA

View Full Version : Leaking radiator

weigojmi
05-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I took my car in several days ago for another issue and was told and shown I have about a 4 inch hairline crack at the top of my radiator. This leak causes my reserve tank to drop to empty pretty quick. Before noticing it, I'm sure I drove around for at least several days with nothing in that tank and the car never overheated which I assume means the radiator remained at a sufficient level...?

Can I sufficiently repair this crack or is it looking like a new radiator is in order? I'll post pics of the crack if needed. Thanks.

wetamup2k3g
05-02-2011, 05:24 PM
This happened to me this winter, I had some Rigid Red (kinda like JB Weld, but pink in color) and that held me over for a couple weeks, but it was leaking again, so I got a replacement, the work isn't hard, the hardest part was working the trans cooler lines off. So, yeah, unless a radiator shop can replace the top piece, which may cost close to a new radiator, just cop a new one homie.

weigojmi
05-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about trying some JB Weld on it anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

ShiZnitH
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Had the same problem. i just replaced it

ADExternal
05-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Get it replaced. Unless you have funding issues, you shouldnt cheap out in this. Reason why JB weld only held it for a few weeks is because your radiator also generates pressure. JB weld is not meant for this. Replacing it yourself isnt hard either, just need 10mm rachet, bucket, pliers or screw driver (depending what clamp you have on your radior hose) and the obvious radior. While your at it, why not flush out your radiator (highly recommended) again, dont cheap out. Putting old exposed radiator fluid can ruin your entire radior cooling system which includes both upper and lower hoses, cooling jackets, heater core, water pump, and essentially the new radiator. Do it properly the first time, it will save you alot of future problems and furthur fundings.

SleekGTZ
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
If funding is an issue, use the JB Weld "Water Weld" until you have enough funds to get it properly replaced with a new radiator. Other JB Weld types will only last a few weeks. The "Water Weld" will hold for over a year or more. Just make sure you roughen the area with sandpaper first.

Again this is just a temporary workaround suggestion. You still must replace your radiator. Good luck.

weigojmi
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. Funds are an issue right now so I'll try the Waterweld then replace it.

SleekGTZ
05-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Make sure you get this one:
http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk/catalog/images/082770_JB_Water_Weld.jpg

Rabbi1991
05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Replacing it is important and if the crack will widen up it could cause the engine to overheat which is a serious problem. Also like it is now it might not show on the monitor but it could be overheating at some small points in the engine, so the lubricant won't be enough and you could damage if not ruin your engine. Cooling system is a crucial part for a well functioning engine. Never cheap out on cooling system.

weigojmi
05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
As if I needed any more evidence to replace it, the WaterWeld did not work. A crack formed in the middle of it and the leak continues...

SleekGTZ
05-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Did you let it sit overnight?

weigojmi
05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Yea, looked like it was going to do the trick but I guess it couldn't handle the pressure.

SleekGTZ
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok, sorry to hear that. My old beater truck still has the waterweld intact since last year.

98mgalant
05-05-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm a 7ger but I just changed mine this morning for the same reason. It's not hard at all. Getting the money for new coolant and the new radiator was the hardest part.lol

JesterX
05-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Replacing radiators is an easy job. I have tried stop leak and things like that before but it never gets me anywhere. Just save up the money to replace it and do it right the first time