PDA

View Full Version : adding an extra aux fan

sthrnbumpn
05-03-2011, 02:24 AM
ive been thinking of addin an elec. fan in front of the a/c cond, what im trying todo is get my a/c blowin ice cold . i figured it would help in heavy traffic but was wondering if anybody haD any thoughts on this,
i know it would be an extra load on my alt, but its time for me to get a new batt anyways so ill get a high cca. or is there sum other tricks i could do to get optimum chill, summer is here

wetamup2k3g
05-03-2011, 04:44 AM
That should work theoretically but have you had the ac serviced/charged in a while? I suctioned and recharged my own system back in 05 when I was at Lincoln tech and it made a world of difference, and to this day it's still icy on these hot summer days we have in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

qnz
05-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a pusher fan in front of the AC condenser. It doesnt make the AC any colder

sthrnbumpn
05-03-2011, 08:42 AM
sumone said the same thing, replace my reciever/dryer, vacuum it for a couple hours and recharge, i tried topping it off with a can an its easy to overfill it helped a litlle but still wasnt cool enuff

sthrnbumpn
05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
i was looking at adding the fan an theres not enuff room in front of condenser betwwen grille , the only other opt i have is dual fan set up (side by side),

01blackG
05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
i was looking at adding the fan an theres not enuff room in front of condenser betwwen grille , the only other opt i have is dual fan set up (side by side),

On the V6 or the I4 motor you should already have 2 stock fans for the radiator and the condensor. Adding more ontop of that isnt the solution.

Its a combination of the size of the cooling core, the climate control fan speed, and the compression of the cooling sytem its self. Along with the frions age.

Those 4 things will affect the coldness of you car more then adding more engine cooling fans.

reiketsutsukigami
05-10-2011, 09:03 PM
btw you can fit a fan in front it just has to be a slim fan.

sthrnbumpn
05-14-2011, 03:39 AM
t my 99 has 1 fan an it has sum rubber flaps on either side of the shroud, the fan theory came into play when i was sitting in traffic an seems to get warmer untill u start moving than it gets cooler, the more air u move across ur condensor the more heat it rejects inturn gives u a colder evap temp(under dash)

djhah
05-14-2011, 03:55 AM
I would start by switching the one fan with a duel fan, jy so its not pricey: ) then i would try the vaccume refill. That's just me, you said you toped it off? That would be my first step also.

01blackG
05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I have not tested this on a 99 galant so I'm not sure if it will work. But I know the 2001 radiator has all the mounting for two fans to fit. So in theory if a 2001 radiator will fit into a 99 galant you could get 2 fans from a 2001 and mount them onto a 2001 radiator. But wiring them in will be the tricky part.

Like I said I have not tried this but in theory it should work. I take no responsibility for the above theory.

QnzMostWanted
05-14-2011, 10:41 AM
i swapped out my single fan to dual fans on a 99, there isnt much to change, just mount the new dual fan (everything bolts right up) and just connect ur main fan harness, it auto relays to the second fan

djhah
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
q, I'm thinking on a junkyard run sometime soon if you want to meet up and go. A friend told me of one that is cheap and well stocked. Just hit me up if you want to go.

MisterDeadeye
05-14-2011, 12:02 PM
You guys are lucky. I've called junkyards all around here, and none of them have even heard of Galants. :/

Maybe it's time I go looking for other cars' parts that fit our G's.

Rabbi1991
05-14-2011, 06:48 PM
be careful not to overfill it with refrigerant. Too much and it won't work as it should, and also too little won't work. Must have optimal amount and use the correct refrigerant.

sthrnbumpn
05-15-2011, 05:31 AM
hey dj i need to get a few parts, i gotta wishlist an dual fan is on the very top of it,

i gotta 2011 xterra fan its a hoss but it wont fit (as a add on), i did over fill it last summer, an it set off the pop off valve, after it hissed for a couple minutes it went back to doin work like bfore

i got a new accumalator, schraders an gonna get some 134 next, so its on my to do list along with about 10 other things , but of course my wifes to do list is in there too

Stewi
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
You should let an A/C shop re-charge the system for you for a few reasons. First, prior to charging the system, they vacuum it, which will tell you right away if there are any leaks or problems if it wont hold the vacuum, this way it doest waste the R134a (if it leaks out). Secondly, the shop can charge it with the proper amount of R134a and oil where as the cans you buy at the auto parts store arent accurately telling you the amount in the system and since you cant vacuum the system out, air will be trapped inside.

djhah
05-15-2011, 12:47 PM
You should let an A/C shop re-charge the system for you for a few reasons. First, prior to charging the system, they vacuum it, which will tell you right away if there are any leaks or problems if it wont hold the vacuum, this way it doest waste the R134a (if it leaks out). Secondly, the shop can charge it with the proper amount of R134a and oil where as the cans you buy at the auto parts store arent accurately telling you the amount in the system and since you cant vacuum the system out, air will be trapped inside.

Good point stewi, always wondered about how accurate those gauges are they look very cheap.

sthrnbumpn
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
ur rite fellas leave it to the pro's,

djhah
05-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I just changed the tie rod end on my neon and i wish i would have taken it to the shop it was fighting me all the way. Lol that's what i get for trying to save money...