PDA

View Full Version : sparkPluggz???

echo12
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
so googling as I ussually am, i stumbled upon this interesting list of available sparkplugs for our vehicles
(mine's an 05 GTS).

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1431367

Im trying to decide wich one is best. I preffer Performance but reliability always is essential.

suggestions?

9G
05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
i know the 4 cyl comes with ngk iridium. not sure about the 6.

G-spot
05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Platinum comes standard on most OEM models. You won't "feel" the difference when switching to just Irridium plugs no matter how awesome their ads might be :)

9Ggts
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
My GTS came with OEM Iridium plugs. NGK

G-spot
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Just go with what the factory recommend and you're set. :)

9G
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
iridium it is.

Its Reu
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
My GTS came with OEM Iridium plugs. NGK

same

P'NOYcaL
05-03-2011, 08:10 PM
i ordered mine here: http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/

gtx
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
What's most interesting about that selection is how they list the wrong gap for the V6. What I realized about a month ago when I was shopping for new plugs for my 75, that while the factory gap is 0.032, a lot of sites list the 0.044 ones as replacement, and that is incorrect. (The only correct one on that list is the Denso IR.)

Other than that, most oem plugs are going to be PT or IR, simply because they are superior to conventional plugs. (9G OEM plug is IR) Now the true factory plugs are going to be expensive, but imho that shouldn't be a problem when you can buy the NGK Iridium IX plugs for around $7 a pop at any Advance Auto. Also, it's been said a million times but here it is again: only use NGK or Denso, nothing else.

echo12
05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
What's most interesting about that selection is how they list the wrong gap for the V6. What I realized about a month ago when I was shopping for new plugs for my 75, that while the factory gap is 0.032, a lot of sites list the 0.044 ones as replacement, and that is incorrect. (The only correct one on that list is the Denso IR.)

Other than that, most oem plugs are going to be PT or IR, simply because they are superior to conventional plugs. (9G OEM plug is IR) Now the true factory plugs are going to be expensive, but imho that shouldn't be a problem when you can buy the NGK Iridium IX plugs for around $7 a pop at any Advance Auto. Also, it's been said a million times but here it is again: only use NGK or Denso, nothing else.

Its funny U mention this . . . i called the dealership today bc im trying to get an idea of how much its gonna cost me to get the bank1 sensor2 O2 sensor replaced, the serpentine belt replaced and of course the spark plugs. Everyone here is saying that the OEM replacement is Iridium (and I take u fellas words of knowledge over the shop ANYTIME!) but the lady over the phone argued w me for like 5 minutes telling me that the replacement are Platinum. That to replace the spark plugs they "suggest" to replace the Intake plenum gasket and that it's somewhere around $200-$300 to get 6 spark plugs and the gasket replaced. This is on top of $180 for the belt and $264 for the O2 sensor.
However, I asked the lady if I could bring the spark plugs and the gasket and just get it all in. instead of buying it all from the dealership.

I'm taking your word w the NGK's Iridium IX. That's what I'm gonna buy and have my friend pick up at autozone to take to the shop.

9Ggts
05-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Ngk FR6EI Iridium. I didn't replace my intake plenum gasket. Used the same one. You just need a torque wrench so it tightens evenly and you don't warp the mating surfaces. Cheaper to buy plugs at autozone. No need to regap the plugs.

gtx
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Its funny U mention this . . . i called the dealership today bc im trying to get an idea of how much its gonna cost me to get the bank1 sensor2 O2 sensor replaced, the serpentine belt replaced and of course the spark plugs. Everyone here is saying that the OEM replacement is Iridium (and I take u fellas words of knowledge over the shop ANYTIME!) but the lady over the phone argued w me for like 5 minutes telling me that the replacement are Platinum. That to replace the spark plugs they "suggest" to replace the Intake plenum gasket and that it's somewhere around $200-$300 to get 6 spark plugs and the gasket replaced. This is on top of $180 for the belt and $264 for the O2 sensor.
However, I asked the lady if I could bring the spark plugs and the gasket and just get it all in. instead of buying it all from the dealership.

I'm taking your word w the NGK's Iridium IX. That's what I'm gonna buy and have my friend pick up at autozone to take to the shop.

If you are up for it, you can save a lot of money by doing the plugs and O2 sensor yourself, and just let them do the belts. If you download the FSM, it will guide you through, it's really not that hard. Any questions, just pm me and I walk you through.
Gaskets are suggested to be replaced when parts are taken apart, but imho with the manifold and tb gaskets it's a judgement call. If you know you are not going to check on it for an other 60K, just replace them, they are cheap enough.
Also, Pt should be fine as well as a replacement, and they used to be used in the 8G, but the 9G oem plugs are IR, trust me, I have them sitting on my shelf. I would be very cautious with a dealership that doesn't know that.

M-Rod
05-08-2011, 09:07 PM
You know what's odd, is I think I pulled platinum plugs out of my 6G75. And with only 21k on it, I doubt anybody has touched it before me.

But as GTX suggested, I would only use Denso or NGK. Iridium of course. If you have any mechanical experience, save yourself some money and do it yourself. The rear plugs are not anywhere near as scary as most people like to make them seem. Good luck!

gtx
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
You know what's odd, is I think I pulled platinum plugs out of my 6G75. And with only 21k on it, I doubt anybody has touched it before me.
What year is your engine? Mine is from a MY05, I wonder if they just switched to IR on the fly.

whaffolla
05-08-2011, 11:54 PM
cute! thank you.

באבל טראבל (http://www.zuz.co.il/%D7%91%D7%90%D7%91%D7%9C-%D7%98%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%91%D7%9C/)סופר מריו (http://www.zuz.co.il/%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%A4%D7%A8-%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%95-2/) משחקי כדורגל (http://www.zuz.co.il/a/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%97%D7%A7%D7%99-%D7%9B%D7%93%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%92%D7%9C/)

echo12
05-09-2011, 02:40 AM
I had a link for a PDF that was specifically on the topic of replacing the O2 sensor but my hdd crashed last week and I lost it. I'm guessing in the same FSM there might be a "replace spark plugs" section? that'd be awesome. link please?

And the biggest issue I have atm is that I'm in Great Lakes, IL and my car is in Orlando.
I'm going to PR the 19, the 28 I arrive in Orlando, and June 1st I'm driving to VA. That's why I'm asking so much questions bc (unfortunately) I'm having to get this stuff done from afar ...

So, if u guys say that I can get under the car and change the O2 sensor myself and the spark plugs aren't as unreachable as they mentioned they are . . . I reiterate I believe u guys, SPECIALLY if it means I'll be saving money . . .

The Belts (DRIVE belts, not serpentine) and the gasket they can do at the shop. Idc much about spending money on that . . . I'll even bring them the spark plugs. To save time and enjoy FL weather! But my biggest concern before the 14hr long drive is the O2 sensor that's WAY overdue . . .

Regardless, to stay on topic, the Ngk FR6EI are the ones going in.

gtx
05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
>>9G Factory Service Manual<< (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=39351&highlight=9g+manual)
The O2 is basically a matter of getting to it, disconnecting the connector, and taking it out.

echo12
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I went to Orlando this weekend and personally bought the Ngk FR6EI. They're calling me from the shop telling me that those aren't right. That The original ones (DENSO K20PN-B8) are the correct ones and that they're gonna be $80.

They're claim is that the "Heat RANGE" is not the same. Therefore I'll have issues. I'm getting annoyed at this . . . but . . . I have to ask.

that being said. . . comments?

gtx
05-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I went to Orlando this weekend and personally bought the Ngk FR6EI. They're calling me from the shop telling me that those aren't right. That The original ones (DENSO K20PN-B8) are the correct ones and that they're gonna be $80.

They're claim is that the "Heat RANGE" is not the same. Therefore I'll have issues. I'm getting annoyed at this . . . but . . . I have to ask.

that being said. . . comments?

I'm sure they have good intentions, and I belive that that is the plug they pulled from your engine. Mitsu is known to use Denso as a supplier for plugs, and just like with any other parts, car manufacturers swap suppliers or use multiple suppliers sometimes. So it is completely normal for one 9G using NGK's and an other one Denso's from the factory. Now here's where they are WRONG: NGK 6 heatrange is close equivalent to Denso 20.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/OneBlackGTZ/6g75%20Spark%20Plugs/HEATRANGECONV.jpg

To make things a little bit more complicated, different brands' heatranges don't always overlap completely. But in this case, you'll be perfectly fine. I would use the NGK's you have already, it's the factory equivalent. Not to mention a quick google search for DENSO K20PN-B8 doesn't even bring up anything. The factory Denso's are K20PSR-B8 (http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/pnchart/genuine_dg/mitsubishi.html), or MN163807 (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213934) by Mitsubishi part #.

My very own 75 factory plugs, just for fun:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/OneBlackGTZ/6g75%20Spark%20Plugs/100_7112.jpg

9Ggts
05-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Looking at the heat ranges given by GTX i think you should be fine . I even replaced my original FR6E1 with a one step colder plug BKR7EIX. No problem with it but of course I had hackish reflash my ECU before I changed it.