PDA

View Full Version : Is this fromt motor mount bad?

88carrera
05-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I keep hearing a clunking noise from the front driver side when the car is traveling slowly over bumpy pavement. I jacked up my car and checked for the following:

-Wiggled the wheel to check for loose wheel bearing and I didn't detect any
-Checked CV joint for torn boot (boot in good condition)
-Tugged on stabilizer and tie rods-no play detected
-Strut bolts all ok and I don't see any sign of leaks on the strut

Finally I saw that the front motor mount (roll stopper) looked liked this. Is this normal or is in need of replacement? I haven't checked the tranny side mount, but I'm not sure if worn mounts would generate that clunking noise.

Sorry I can't figure out how to post photos directly from my pc so here's the link.

http://cid-d92a04863470fcd4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Front%20roll%20stopper/P1010199.JPG?sa=725281916

Howard
'01 Galant ES

01blackG
05-18-2011, 07:41 PM
That wont cause a clunking noise. But that does need replacement before it does clunk. But based on the looks of that engine mount I bet your rear motor mount looks worst. And might be the one clunking.

But if you are driving over bumpy road slowly is it more of a clunk or a rattle? If a rattle try checking out the sway bar links they tend to got out on our cars after a while. Get a picture with your wheel remove and I might even be able to tell for you.

galantlvr34
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
check the inner tie rods they will deffinantly cause clunking.

88carrera
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you both. I'll take some pictures of the tire rod area.

gtx
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Just to touch on the motor mount pic you posted: while it isn't torn yet, be prepared for it in the near future, just look at those small cracks.

88carrera
05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I took some more photos and did find the dust cover on the tie rod damaged.

I used search and it it could also be the strut seat, or the strut itself. The car has 115k miles and I don't know how to isolate the sound to the defective parts. I can't afford to just start replacing struts or a-arms.

http://cid-d92a04863470fcd4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Galant%20left%20front%20suspension/P1010208.JPG

Howard
'01 Galant ES

01blackG
05-19-2011, 09:29 PM
1) replace your tie rod ends before they come apart. Once the boot tears the rest is soon to follow.

2) Can or did you check the rear motor mount. I did not see that in those new pics.

3) other then the above two things I mention everything looked ok. But I didnt see a picture of the ball joint. And with out actually being there Im unable to tell you if it is the strut plate or not.

88carrera
05-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I took some pictures of the ball joint and the rear motor mount. The motor mount appears alright but it's really hard to see.

The ball joint boot is cracking but it doesn't appear to be open to air. I'm going to replace both.

The sound is like the spring vibrating when it hits the bump. I'm wondering if the coil spring insulators are no longer doing their job? I can't see them very well but I assume they are rubber and help dampen spring vibtation to the chassis?

http://cid-d92a04863470fcd4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/ball%20joint%20and%20rear%20mount%20and%20A-arm/P1010220.JPG

Howard
'01 Galant ES

01blackG
05-21-2011, 06:18 PM
The ball joints also need repair. Actually if you look at the picture carefully enough you can see the greese wanting to come out.

The rear engine mount looks bad to. I was able to see it good enough and notice you have a huge crack in it. I dont know if it would cause the sound your talking about though.

So the musts before they break and cause more damamge.
1) ball joints
2) tie rod ends.
3) rear engine mount. you might get one more season out of the mount but not any more then that.

galantlvr34
05-21-2011, 08:49 PM
The ball joints also need repair. Actually if you look at the picture carefully enough you can see the greese wanting to come out.

The rear engine mount looks bad to. I was able to see it good enough and notice you have a huge crack in it. I dont know if it would cause the sound your talking about though.

So the musts before they break and cause more damamge.
1) ball joints
2) tie rod ends.
3) rear engine mount. you might get one more season out of the mount but not any more then that.

i would do inner and outter tie rods,and the ball joints deffinantly need to be replaced.The sound he is hearing is most likely from the front end being loose.And if he notices it after replacing the tie rods and ball joints then the next step would be the motor mounts.

88carrera
05-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I was thinking that maybe the strut mount is bad?

Since I need to do an alignment anyway, and while I'm in there I might was well check the strut mount.

One question about the inner tie rods: are they the same part number? I don't know if the left/right are different lengths or not.

Howard
'01 Galant ES

01blackG
05-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I was thinking that maybe the strut mount is bad?

Since I need to do an alignment anyway, and while I'm in there I might was well check the strut mount.

One question about the inner tie rods: are they the same part number? I don't know if the left/right are different lengths or not.

Howard
'01 Galant ES

Just have the parts store look them up for you. I think they are different lengths.