PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it?

djhah
05-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Ok so i have a friend that has a 91 eagle talon he is selling for 150.00 here's its problem..... it was origally auto tranny, he swapped it to 5 speed since he did that the tranny will not stay bolted to the block (it keeps breaking the bolts) he has tried two other trannys to see if that's the problem and the same thing keeps reoccuring? As for the rest of the car its in decent shape couple dings and what not, motor runs great. Would it be something fixable worth my time? If so how would i go about fixing it / what is causing this to happen? Sould i steer clear of it, he is tired of dealing with it ( hints the cheap price).

WhiteGalant
05-28-2011, 06:07 PM
For 150 its a valueable learning experience.

EVO 4G

Skyforger
05-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Me thinks it's a total money pit, and you'll regret buying it.

djhah
05-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Me thinks it's a total money pit, and you'll regret buying it.

That's what i was thinking.

Skyforger
05-28-2011, 07:19 PM
That's what i was thinking.

More than likely, it's probably been beaten to high hell, abused and neglected.

johnygezony
05-28-2011, 07:40 PM
More than likely, it's probably been beaten to high hell, abused and neglected.

as that fate of many DSM's these days :(

Skyforger
05-28-2011, 08:11 PM
as that fate of many DSM's these days :(

On another forum I frequent, there's a DSM enthusiast, and he says the sane thing, a good, well taken care of DSM, especially a 1st gen, are almost non-existant.

djhah
05-28-2011, 08:22 PM
That's nice to know

galantlvr34
05-28-2011, 09:19 PM
The threads in the block could be stripped or he could be using the wrong thread type on the bolts.If the threads are worn you could clean them up if you wanted to with a tap and die set.

smash410
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
hi i know this is off topic but how do i post a new tread im new here i would love to know how to do it thanks

galantlvr34
05-28-2011, 09:36 PM
hi i know this is off topic but how do i post a new tread im new here i would love to know how to do it thanks

you go to the section you need using the scroll thing at the bottom and find the generation which is by the year of the car,then click the section you need and when you get to that page at the bottom it says new thread and you click on it and you can post a new thread.

smash410
05-28-2011, 09:50 PM
thanks alot man i got it

djhah
05-28-2011, 09:52 PM
The threads in the block could be stripped or he could be using the wrong thread type on the bolts.If the threads are worn you could clean them up if you wanted to with a tap and die set.
See i was wondering if that was a possabilaty but i don't know if if would be worth the time/ money to get into. Plus i am in the middle of a project with my g right now so that's why i am on the fence about it.

galantlvr34
05-28-2011, 10:08 PM
See i was wondering if that was a possabilaty but i don't know if if would be worth the time/ money to get into. Plus i am in the middle of a project with my g right now so that's why i am on the fence about it.

yeah i hear you on that one,thats the only thing it could be really it has be something with the threads.

djhah
05-28-2011, 11:04 PM
My origanal thought was get it fix it sell it..... but i don't want to sell a money pit off, just to make money i am to honest for that i wouldn't want it done to me.

4g63lover
05-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm going to guess that the dowel pins are missing. The bolts themselves isnt strong enough to hold the trans up on the motor.

galantlvr34
05-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm going to guess that the dowel pins are missing. The bolts themselves isnt strong enough to hold the trans up on the motor.
yeah that could be a possibility to

djhah
05-28-2011, 11:26 PM

How would i check that without pulling tranny from motor, being it not my car its a buddys he probly wouldn't let me pull tranny to look he lives in appartments. Is it possable?

djhah
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I am not sure if this matters but the motor looks to be sitting high on the timming belt side it looks like its sitting slanted, but all motor mounts are intact and look good?

Skyforger
05-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I am not sure if this matters but the motor looks to be sitting high on the timming belt side it looks like its sitting slanted, but all motor mounts are intact and look good?

Run away. :lol:

4g63lover
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
How would i check that without pulling tranny from motor, being it not my car its a buddys he probly wouldn't let me pull tranny to look he lives in appartments. Is it possable?

loosen the bolts and seperate the trans from the mottor a little bit. They should stick out of the block from one of the bolt holes.

djhah
05-28-2011, 11:40 PM
loosen the bolts and seperate the trans from the mottor a little bit. They should stick out of the block from one of the bolt holes.
I didn't know i could do that with out removing motor from car.

Run away. :lol:

Lol, the more i think of it the better that sounds.... roflao!

sthrnbumpn
05-29-2011, 01:35 PM
call me hah i gotta car rack we can put it up an check most anything underneath, anytime u gotta car u wanna checkout whether ur buyin it or helpin sumone out the offer still stands bro

$150 car is worth lookin into send him my way, if its all that bad pull-a-apart will upto $200 for a complete car

djhah
05-29-2011, 03:31 PM
call me hah i gotta car rack we can put it up an check most anything underneath, anytime u gotta car u wanna checkout whether ur buyin it or helpin sumone out the offer still stands bro

$150 car is worth lookin into send him my way, if its all that bad pull-a-apart will upto $200 for a complete car
Man that's useful once i get my g finished ill bring it by so i can replace the light strip on my under glow kit. Its a pain doing it on jackstands