PDA

View Full Version : VR-4 8g l4

leadfoot
03-30-2003, 12:07 PM
i was going to swap my auto tranny for an MT. but before i do so has anyone ever swaped our trany for the VR-4 tranny ive got a 2002 es l4 and i was thinking if it was POSSIBLE, and if so then i want to go ahead and go throught with it. ive always wanted an all whell drive car just a though :wink: i know it wont be cheap but i would like to see how it comes out.

D03GTZ
03-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Now do you want the VR4 tranny or do you also want the 4 wheel drive? Just because you have the trans doesnt mean your car has 4 wheel drive

Alister_McRae
03-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Is a vr4 transmission swap possible on a 4g64? If it is, you would have to relocate the steering colum wouldn't you?

leadfoot
03-30-2003, 03:06 PM
i though because the old galant's had the VR-4 maybe it would be possible to switch the two and i know they are not compatable at all it was just a though i know there will have to be alot of changes done to the car and yes the only reson i want the VR-4 is because of the all wheel drive.

Auto-9
03-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Another thing I can think of that can slow you down is that all the 4 bangers up till the 8g had engines that were flipped 180 degrees from our current orientation.

pinoyesv6
03-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Another thing I can think of that can slow you down is that all the 4 bangers up till the 8g had engines that were flipped 180 degrees from our current orientation.

thats tru. and to piggyback on that. when we flipped our engines, the rest of the world flipped theirs also.

if you want awd, a suggestion of mine is to get a hold of an eclipse gsx. ov course you're gonna pretty much rebuild the car but, not only is it easier to get the gsx instead of a vr-4, but the gsx has a nice 4g63T motor (remember the T stands for turbo), and replacement parts are easier to get than it would for a vr-4.

leadfoot
03-30-2003, 06:17 PM
i was going to get an gsx but i couldnt find one i know what eclipse motor's are strong a green turbo,injector,fuel pump and a turbo timer that gsx will take a vette for breakfast. oh course there is more to it than that but you get the idea. that's not a bad idea at all the first galant with a gsx motor and tranny swap. damn that would be nice ill have to look into that. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

D03GTZ
03-30-2003, 09:43 PM
ok besides the trans you need all the driveshaft and halfshafts. it sounds to me like your saying once you have the vr4 trans all of a sudden you have 4wd. you also need to think about how to incorporate a rear diff and how to get a driveshaft to fit without beating the floor pan too badly.