PDA

View Full Version : Will adding turbo reduce the engine life?

stormcruiser
03-30-2003, 08:22 PM
I was curious if adding turbo will shorthen the life of the engine?

Another thing I was curious is turbo car such as subaru WRX have shorter engine life than the cars without turbo? Thanks~

pinoyesv6
03-30-2003, 08:24 PM
it depends. i mean if u slap on a turbo on a car not designed for it, its not gonna last as long as one that was designed for it. turbo cars need more maintenance. and the way u drive it too will affect it too. so all in all it comes down to 3 basic things. they way its built, the way its driven and the way its maintained

Kain
03-30-2003, 08:43 PM
In short...yes. A turbocharger will always shorten the life of an engine. Proper maintnance can go a long way to combating this, but the extra heat, strain, wear + tear, and pressure that a turbo puts on an engine simply wears down the parts faster. Take care of it though, and you're probably talking less than 5k miles total life shortening of a turbo vs a N/T car.

HeadAche
03-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Maintance is key, with any turbocharged vehicle.. You gotta stay on top of it or you will loose your motor is a matter of months, instead of years..

Spyder4G64t
04-01-2003, 12:09 PM
There are plenty of turbo motors out there with 200k miles on them w/o any problems. I was just at a Dyno at AMS in Chicago this past weekend, and a friend from our local WI DSM group had his 150k mile stock internal engine put down 305whp w/o any problems. It's really not something you have to worry about. Maintenace (as everyone said) is very important.

HiperSilver
04-15-2003, 07:29 PM
a DSM is built for a turbo, i know guys with 200k plus miles smoking the shit outta ls1's. Its not somethign to worry about on a engine wiht a turbo but if u slap a turbo on the 4g64. Hell yes you will fuck it up. just run safe boost, lower the compression , get a thicker head gasket. On top of that forged pistons, stronger rods. now you got the bottom end built, you might wanna go DOHC later on, better breathing and you can control exhust and intake lift and duration with 2 seperate cams, great for tuning.