PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotors

tamim13
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I know this topic has been covered numerous times, but this is my personal experience, and was looking for specific advice.

I've been using R1Concepts with Akebonos for the last two years or so. My first set of Rotors were the e-Lines and they lasted me about 36K before warping. I replaced them with the Premium ones hoping that they would last longer but they have also lasted around 35K and the vibration is back. I think it might be the fact that I drive a lot and the my braking style. Anyway, I think that's the average life of the R1s and I'm interested in going for something better.

I've done a little research and I heard that Cryogenic treated rotors last longer? Has anyone used them on here? I'm thinking about going for the Powerslot ones - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Power+Slot&model=Power+Alloy+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&group=Power+Alloy+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoModel=Galant+ES+4cyl&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=

Any experience/suggestions are welcome.

galantlvr34
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I would look into brembos for that price,those rotors you posted up there are expensive.I know there are a couple of guys on here who have used power slot rotors.Brembo rotors are awesome but i am not sure how long they last for.

tamim13
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I've looked into Brembos, but I don't think I can find ventilated rotors for the Galant (stock). Also, they have a reputation for warping and rusting badly. I don't mind the price, I just do not want to have to change them every 30K.

n3oAcid24
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
i have brembo rotors all around and theyve lasted me over 4 years man. the front ones have been on for longer then that because i did the rear swap about 2 years after i installed the front rotors. they are great still.

tamim13
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
How many miles do you have on them? What are the pads you have with them?

RedGalant2k1
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Without sounding silly, try extending your stopping distance slightly. You may be surprised over time how much it improves both your brakes (against warping) and gas mileage.

tamim13
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I did that Dave, when I got the second set of rotors (premium), I thought it must be my driving style, so I made a serious attempt to increase my stopping distance, and no hard braking, but to no avail. Most of my driving is highway driving with hardly any braking usually (as it's in the night), so that's why I'm confused.

I also thought it might be a frozen caliper or such, but I got the calipers overhauled with the kit sold at Mitsubishi when I got the second set, but no difference.

RedGalant2k1
07-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Hmmm..well the another possiblity is that your car has higher than normal brake pressure. Have you ever flushed the brake fluid? Surely it was bleed when you installed the brakes, but a flush may help clean out any possible restrictions in your brakes. I would suggest also using Dot 4. Have you made sure that there is good fluid flow through each brake line front and rear?

tamim13
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, I get it flushed every 15K with Mitsubishi fluid only, been doing that regularly since I owned the car. Yes, my mechanic told me that the fluid flow was good, because I specifically asked him that when I did the rear swap if I should go ahead and get the lines changed to SS.

I don't know if this is actually a problem, but I do wash my car once a week. The car, most of the time, has just been driven and the brakes could be hot. I have read that sudden changes in temperature like that, can warp the rotors? What do you think?

galantlvr34
07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Yes, I get it flushed every 15K with Mitsubishi fluid only, been doing that regularly since I owned the car. Yes, my mechanic told me that the fluid flow was good, because I specifically asked him that when I did the rear swap if I should go ahead and get the lines changed to SS.

I don't know if this is actually a problem, but I do wash my car once a week. The car, most of the time, has just been driven and the brakes could be hot. I have read that sudden changes in temperature like that, can warp the rotors? What do you think?

yeah that could be a possibility that the water is warping them,Do you wash your car during the week or on weekends?I would wash it on a day that you dont do to much driving and see if that helps.

tamim13
07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes, probably I can do that. But am looking for more information on Cryo treated Rotors and if anyone has used them also.

n3oAcid24
07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
How many miles do you have on them? What are the pads you have with them?

im not sure how many miles. its like over 50k man. i run Hawk pads on them.

tamim13
07-20-2011, 09:30 AM
im not sure how many miles. its like over 50k man. i run Hawk pads on them.

That's pretty good life. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

keith6110
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I've had similar results. I have a subaru friend that has nickel plated rotors (just some ebay specials). I really like the way they looked and the stopping improvement. I went ahead and ordered R1 concepts premium rotors and they are decaying quick. I'm just going to assume I'm going to start feeling vibrations in the pedal soon. Anyway, my friends rotors are still very shiny, very smooth, and have not lost any performance yet. We are both using green stuff pads.

I'm not trying to bash the vendors product here, I just wanted to share my experiences with the same rotors.

tamim13
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the inputs keith6110, you're right, I'm not here to bash them either, I've bought about 15 sets of r1concepts rotors for my colleagues' cars, and they are all working fine as they don't drive as much as I do anyway.

I'm just looking at other options for myself, and would continue to buy R1Concepts for anyone else who talks to me

oakrdrs187
07-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on R1's for a while now. But I can't seem to get over free swap's with my buddy at Local Autoparts on rotors when ever I feel like it.