PDA

View Full Version : Water drips onto my amp

maxpower
09-05-2011, 05:23 PM
06 GTS, sometimes when it rains water drips onto my amp. This creates all sorts of crackling and popping sounds. When it was still under warranty it blew a speaker that the dealer replaced. Until I got Mitsubishi North American involved the dealer didn't want to bother finding the problem. They then took a bunch of panels off but still couldn't find how water was getting in there.

The only thing the dealer wouldn't do was take the cowl off. His lame excuse was, well if I take that off it changes how the water flows into there. This is true but if you've taken every other piece off, maybe you'll find the problem this way.

Has anyone heard of water getting into the interior like this before? I'm thinking I should take the cowl off and see if there's any leaves jammed up somewhere.

It drops from above the amp straight down onto it and a little gets on the floor, maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 a shot glass worth of water. Doesn't do it every time it rains, it's kind of random and hard to reproduce with a hose.

If I could just build a plastic shield of some sort it would just roll off of that onto the floor.

BassinG
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Is this a factory amp or an aftermarket amp? Im asuming factory???

maxpower
09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah it's the factory one that's mounted to the far right side behind the glove box.

maxpower
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I took the cowl off, looked fine from what I could see. The intake for the cabin air was wide open, not sure if that's normal. It was just a big vent facing up, in theory it seems like water could get in there.

Looking into it more, I don't think water would likely get in there. It would take at least 2 inches of standing water to get anywhere near it. I poured water into the main channel and it seemed to drain fine near the fender.

So now I'm back to, I don't know how the hell water is dripping into the car.

http://i.imgur.com/QH7oj.jpg

XxGiRLaNT06xX
09-07-2011, 05:31 PM
I had this exact thing happen to my 06 when I had it. I took it into Mitsubishi and they said they could not find where it was dripping from. Possibly the sunroof. They changed the amplifier and soon after I gave the car back. It didnt seem to happen much after I took it in to them for them to check it out.

maxpower
09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
They mentioned replacing the amp because it has a bunch of rusty screws but that it would ultimately be pointless until they found the water source.