PDA

View Full Version : Best Paint for rubber?

Stepsascend
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I've painted my armrest on the middle console a few times and every time the paint rubs away and it looks awful. I figured I'm always rubbing on it but I don't think that's entirely the problem. I took the rubber off and wrapped the plastic in vinyl but It looks pretty ugly because it's such a small piece and you can't get away with it without showing the folds..Anyone else paint the arm rest? what did you use? I'm looking at paints for rubber surfaces but I'd like to hear some feedback.

ADExternal
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
tried vinyl wrapping?

E_Emerson88
09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I took the rubber off and wrapped the plastic in vinyl but It looks pretty ugly because it's such a small piece and you can't get away with it without showing the folds

yeah he has

ADExternal
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
vinyl and vinyl wrapping are made of different materials. Either that or he didnt do it properly, because its showing "folds".

RavenOath
09-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Would something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_dye

something like VHT SP954, which is what i used.

I've had good luck with this stuff in the past! It seems to work on plastic and the kind of vinyl that is on seats. It might be worth a shot, unless you already tried that.

RavenOath
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Also, see if you can use a heat gun to stretch it over the piece, using adhesive and shaping foam if need be. Be very careful with the heat however. You could take it to an upholstery shop, most of them can refinish that part no problem.

RedGalant2k1
09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
You need vinyl upholstery paint, it is available at home depot or lowe's

dknight3
09-06-2011, 08:51 PM
orieleys has duplicolor vinyl paint, thats decent i used it on my dash.

im just gunna wrap the arm rest though because it gets so much contact.

BassinG
09-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Pastidip!!!!!

Stepsascend
09-07-2011, 05:38 AM
orieleys has duplicolor vinyl paint, thats decent i used it on my dash.

im just gunna wrap the arm rest though because it gets so much contact.

When you do that let me know how lol. Every way I tried it seemed impossible without showing any folds.

RedGalant that's what I used originally and it kept rubbing and dulling the paint.

And ADExternal, I've never heard of vinyl wrapping I'll have to look that up thanks.

Stepsascend
09-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Also, see if you can use a heat gun to stretch it over the piece, using adhesive and shaping foam if need be. Be very careful with the heat however. You could take it to an upholstery shop, most of them can refinish that part no problem.

I didn't have a problem wrapping the top and I didn't need stretching. It was folding it over the front and back that I couldn't figure out. Even cutting reliefs in the vinyl wasn't helping. that link you gave me says use on bare plastic and vinyl..I don't know how well it will work on rubber. I've never used dye but I guess its worth a shot? lol.

BassinG
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
You have any pics?