PDA

View Full Version : What's a good repair material to fix an EGR visor?

Skyforger
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
As the topic says, I have a new EGR visor, but it was cracked while wrapped up. Looking for a good way to repair.

DTP
10-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Hit up Keith6110.

My guess would be fiberglass?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 'cause I'm awesome...

Stewi
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Is it a real EGR visor like the plastic one or one of the ones that Cali made? If its made of fiberglass, just re-glass' it and its good. If its plastic and you plan on painting it after the repair, determine the type of plastic its made of and buy the appropriate repair material from a body shop supply house or have a body shop fix it. If you dont plan on painting it, im not sure what to do.

Skyforger
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
It's plastic, for sure. Looks to be the same material ventvisors are made from. I planned on plasti-dipping it when done.

Stewi
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
It's plastic, for sure. Looks to be the same material ventvisors are made from. I planned on plasti-dipping it when done.

Ok then thats easy then. Order online either 3M flexible bumper repair material and 3m bumper repair plastic adhesion promoter. It will probably cost about $40 for the stuff. Its a two part epoxy thats made to repair plastic bumpers. If the EGR is made of any common plastic like TPO, TEO, ABS, etc, this 3M stuff is the way to go. Another product thats just like the 3m is Lord Fusor 142 bumper repair material. Thats the stuff I used to shave my license plate pocket in my JDM bumper. Both 3M and Lord Fusor are supposed to be dispensed from a special applicator gun like a caulk gun. Since your only going to use a small amount of material, you can skip the gun and just dispense the material only a piece of plastic or cardboard and mix it like that.

Skyforger
10-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Ok then thats easy then. Order online either 3M flexible bumper repair material and 3m bumper repair plastic adhesion promoter. It will probably cost about $40 for the stuff. Its a two part epoxy thats made to repair plastic bumpers. If the EGR is made of any common plastic like TPO, TEO, ABS, etc, this 3M stuff is the way to go. Another product thats just like the 3m is Lord Fusor 142 bumper repair material. Thats the stuff I used to shave my license plate pocket in my JDM bumper. Both 3M and Lord Fusor are supposed to be dispensed from a special applicator gun like a caulk gun. Since your only going to use a small amount of material, you can skip the gun and just dispense the material only a piece of plastic or cardboard and mix it like that.

+1

Thanks for the tip. The bumper repair material and adhesion promotor mix together like you would with body filler I would imagine. What grit sandpaper you figure would work best? Something between 600-800 grit?

Stewi
10-02-2011, 11:13 PM
You need to sand within 1" of the damaged area with 80 grit, then feather the 80 out to 120 about 1/2" passed where the 80 grit ended. The bumper repair material is a 2 part epoxy. The adhesion promoter is a spray on tie coat that you spray the visor with after the initial sanding is done. It provides a solid foundation for the repair material to bond with the EGR visor. You apply the repair material with a putty spreader just like you would normal body filler. Your first coat should be very tight, close in on the repair area. Let that cure about 20 minutes, lightly sand with 80 grit and then another thicker coat of repair material. Then sand it all down and feather edge it out til its smooth.